How to silence shutter on D300s

ccommins

<p>Carol,</p>

<p> You must be thinking of point and shoot cameras or cell phones that have an electronic sound to simulate shutter sounds. The D300s has a mechanical shutter and mirror. You can not turn off the noise they make.</p>

<p>

<p >

<p >You could custom fit Velcro to the camera body & attach dull colored neoprene wetsuit material the other side of the Velcro. Viola, greatly reduced noise plus a more stealthy profile. Keep all LCDs turned off, like film photographers used to do. Think concerts closed to photography. Etc. Also reduced temptation of theft due to its plain, non expensive non Nikon look. (Remove stupid Nikon, Canon, etc neck strap, as I do. I use a 30yr old 2” wide black leather neck strap that looks like it just came off it's 7<sup>th</sup> world tour) Better shock resistance. The possibilities are endless. </p>

</p>

</p>

Thank you so much for all your help. The quiet mode is so much better. This is not as easy camera. I was use to a D80, much lighter and more user friendly. Draw back is the noise at high ISO. The weight of this camera makes it harder to hand hold, so I have to use a tripod. Its a learning process.

Thanks again.

<p>You'll come to love that camera, Carol. Wait until you've shot in a situation that really takes advantage of its much more sophisticated AF system. The D80 can't hold a candle to it, in that regard. Low light, moving subjects ... the D300 will really shine for you. Have fun! Only tackle a feature or two at a time, and before you know it, it will be completely second nature, and you'll be quite glad to have those externalized controls.</p>

<p>Carol, I moved from a D90 to a D300s recently. I have absolutely no regret in making the move. I'm exceptionally pleased with the AF system, ultra fast shutter speed, and easy access to the controls I use most. I'm in love with the AF-ON button. For most of my shooting I turn off the shutter-release focus and only use the AF-ON button.</p>

<p>The weight of the camera, IMHO, is actually a blessing when working with heavier lenses (70-200mm f/2.8). The balance of the whole kit makes the weight much more bearable for me.</p>

<p>Best of luck with your new camera.</p>

<p>RS</p>

<p> </p>