Recommend a bag/case for the K10D?

breadbin

<p>Hiya, i am a proud new owner of a K10D and have a really bad history for looking after stuff be it cameras or whatever and decided that i definitely need a case. I am not sure as to which type i should get though, but i can't see myself carrying around a bag with all my stuff i.e. lenses and chargers and flashes etc so have decided to go for one of the cases that fit snugly around the camera and a lens. something like the pentax 0-CC55 but hopefully cheaper!<br>

does anyone have any recommendations for this sort of case for the K10D? doesn't have to be pentax or leather or anything really:)</p>

<p>Hey, congratulations on the new-to-you camera! It will do a fine job for you, for sure.</p>

<p>I couldn't find your part number, but here's my idea...</p>

<p>"Can't see yourself..." taking some extra gear? Not an extra lens or two, maybe a Rocket blower to blow off dust from the lens or mirror/sensor, maybe a couple filters? How about the Pentax sling bag? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542059-REG/Pentax_85120_D_SLR_Sling_Bag_Black_.html</p>

<p>I have the slightly older version of this bag (better compartment layout with this new version) and it worked nicely with my K20D body and the stuff I mentioned above. But my older version of this bag didn't like the battery grip mounted to the camera, too big for the bag, so I upgraded to the Lowepro 202AW Slingshot bag, which is "one size bigger" than my Pentax sling bag. The Lowepro 102AW Slingshot bag is the same size as the Pentax sling bag (at least my Pentax sling bag). All of these options are cost effective, esp. the Pentax version.</p>

<p>I had bought a backpack style bag, but found it too cumbersome (and honestly didn't fit well) to work with for switching lenses, etc- you have to take the backpack off you body to do this. (My backpack now serves as my home storage system.) The sling bag style allows you to just rotate the bag on your body from front to back to access your gear. But if you want to travel light with just a few extra necessities, the Pentax sling bag will do the trick. You don't need to pack the kitchen sink, but you'll soon find that you'd wished for a slightly larger bag. But honestly, if you are like many people here, you may find you eventually accumulate a few camera bags, so don't feel out of the ordinary when that happens. Heck, over the past few years I've bought 3... 4... or so bags. Not including bags for compact cameras.</p>

<p>thanks, i put off buying a DSLR for years (literally 4-5 years) but saw a great bargain on the K10D close to me so decided to go for it:) the weather proofing of the K10D sort of gave me the final shove:) was looking at *ist D on ebay for that time!<br>

that pentax slingbag looks huge!! probably a good idea in the long run cos i'm already looking at lenses on ebay:) if for no other reason to keep all my stuff together and safe from dust etc. just picked out a lens i had and the amount of fluff and dust etc on it was crazy, luckilly i had a cover on both ends:)<br>

The thing i was looking at is here but is about 70 euro:(<br>

<a href="http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-pentax-o-cc55-case-for-k10d.htm">http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-pentax-o-cc55-case-for-k10d.htm</a><br>

it seems like it would be perfect for throwing in a haversack when i go off hillwalking. and not too big to leave under the car seat but yeah the sling type bag might be on the shopping list too:)</p>

<p>I stopped using camera cases about 10 years ago. Camera bags offer better protection and room for extra lenses and incidentals like a bottle of water or sandwich. I have a medium sized Swiss Army bag which is very well padded, built like a tank and doesn't look like a camera bag. An extra large padded strap makes it comfortable to carry. My wife uses a knock off of the Crumpler Million Dollar bag and while not as well padded as the Swiss, can be expanded.</p>

<p>For just my camera and nothing else, the Zing neoprene covers are nice.<br>

When I want to bring just a little more (maybe one of two extra lenses and a cloth and some batteries) I like the Crumpler Four Million Dollar Home.</p>

<p>Edmund, don't know what lens you have--bear in mind that the more compact cases may not work well with a chunkier lens. You might take a look at <a href="http://www.cambags.com/">cambags.com</a>; shows a lot of examples of what will actually fit in various camera bags. The examples tend to be mostly Canon and Nikon of course, so you have to use your imagination a big. A K10D is sort of mid-sized--bigger than a Nikon D60 or Canon Rebel/???D, etc. but a little smaller than a Canon D?0 or Nikon D?00. Probably just a little bigger than a Nikon D90 (K10D is 1cm wider, 7mm shorter).</p>

<p>I like the Mountainsmith Aurora series, a well-padded waistbelt bag that doubles as a shoulder bag. The waist belt can be folded into a big slot on the back. There are plenty of bungee cord attachments to sling a jacket on top or underneath. Cards, extra batteries, etc can go into a small outside pocket or into an inside-the-lid pocket. I carry a K20 with a lens on one side of the adjustable divider, and two more compact lenses in the other side. This bag also holds the K20 w its 21mm, the 35 f2, AND my wife's Panasonic DMC-LZ28. The whole bag fits into some hiker's daypacks. Mine was $10 on an auction site. Mountainsmith has other bags. If you're a long tele kind of shooter, then this is not your bag.</p>

<p>As long as you're not rock climbing or doing anything where your body won't be vertical and upright or your hands available when you're not, then I'd highly recommend a slingbag. I carried a holster plus a lens bags for years and I'll never go back.<br>

I picked up this imitation of the Slingshot Pro 100 for under $20 from Amazon last year: </p>

<ul>

<li>http://post-office.corp.redhat.com/archives/rhn-satellite/2010-May/msg00148.html</li>

</ul>

<p>I'm able to stuff my K20D w/DA* 16-50 f/2.8 on it, DA* 200 f/2.8 and D-FA 100 f/2.8 Macro WR to its sides, and the DA 10-17 f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye in the top area -- that's 1 body w/1 lens attached plus 3 more lenses. It's got the room.<br>

I even keep my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX37 in the front pouch "at the ready" if I don't have time to yank out the K20D itself, or I would need to change a lens.</p>

<p>Hi Edmund,<br>

I understand the utility of the kind of case or bag you describe. Unlike many people, I don't mind an "ever-ready" (aka "never ready") case for an SLR. When a camera is not in use, it's good to have a way to stow it or protect it from jostles and bumps, rain storms, or becoming loose detritus in your backpack, suitcase or luggage.<br>

The concept of an ever ready case doesn't really work with a DSLR. But I found that the Lowepro Top Loader series is a perfect replacement. I used a TLZ for my Pentax *istDL and K10D. I have since passed on the *istDL, and the TLZ with it. So I will be buying another TLZ.<br>

I recommend taking your camera, along with your favourite/most used lens, to a store with a wide variety of top loaders for sale. Try them all out -- there are slight, and not so slight, differences in size among all the cases. Depending on the size of lens you want to have on the camera, you can get away with different sized bags. You obviously don't want to buy a top loader that is bigger than you absolutely need. Part of the appeal and utility is having a nice secure fit for the camera in the padding, and not having more empty volume inside the bag to carry around.<br>

The K10D, for being a "full-sized" Pentax, is more "mid-size" compared to other makes of camera. The K10D fit perfectly in the opening of the TLZ. It also comfortably held the camera when wearing the substantial Sigma 24-135 DG lens. A few extra pockets meant I could keep a spare battery, a filter, and spare memory cards. All you need for a day out. No, it's not a complete portable photographic kit, carrying a range of zooms, flashes and a spare camera. But that's not the point. A top loader is compact, easily carriable protection for one camera and one lens. The camera can be pulled from the top loader and be ready to shoot almost immediately.</p>