Travelling - which carrying solution?

marcus_andrewes

<p>Hi</p>

<p>I have a 4 week trip coming up, the majority of which will be in India. Travel will be by plane, train, automobile (sadly not with Steve Martin and John Candy!) and Shanks' Pony.<br>

This is what I want to carry:<br>

1 D3<br>

1 D2Xs<br>

1 70-200 2.8 VR<br>

1 17-35 2.8<br>

1 85 1.4<br>

1 50 1.4<br>

1 SB 800<br>

1 TC 17 E<br>

3 EN EL4A<br>

Charger & odds & ends</p>

<p>I don't want to check any of the camera gear in so it must go in the overhead as carry on when I fly.<br>

I don't want a carry solution that screams "camera bag" when I am out. I also want to carry personal stuff (iPod, book, pens, passport etc)<br>

I need to be able to work out of what bag I take and it must survive the dirt, dust etc etc. Also I don't like working out of backpacks in environments like that because you must put them down to get gear out which risks them being snatched and missed shots.</p>

<p>I am leaning towards the Think Tank Retrospective 30 at the moment as none of my existing bags (two Billinghams, a TT roller, a tenba Messenger and a Pelican roller) fit the bill really.<br>

I wondered if anyone out there had any other suggestions?</p>

<p>I would advise you to take into consideration the weight of your carry-on as well as the volume. I have had my old and trusty nondescript knapsack weighed at the check-in counter and found to be over the allowable weight limits (Thai Airways and Varig). I was carrying less than what you intend on bringing. To avoid "surprises" you should research if there are any weight restrictions for carry-ons for the airlines or in some cases airplanes that you will be traveling on.</p>

<p>Hi Allen<br>

Certainly that is an issue. Last time I travelled long haul I flew to Canada and took my Think Tank roller with all the above plus a 200-400 Nikkor! It weighed just shy of 18kg (that's about 40lbs for those not yet on metric) but fortunately it looked so uninteresting and blended in so well that no one ever batted an eyelid.<br>

I can't really use that for this trip as India does not suit that sort of bag at all. I was asked to check the TT roller in once on a flight to Australia with all the same gear in it. I said I would be delighted to do so if the airline gave me written acceptance of the risk to my gear worth $50,000.<br>

They relented and let me carry it on.........!</p>

<p>You might consider leaving the 50, 85 behind. Granted, those large apertures help viewing, but you've got a couple solid zoom lenses. Also the D3 has very low noise at high ISO. You might even leave the 1.4X behind since the D2's smaller sensor will boost magnification on your teles. The more gear you bring, the more pieces to worry about. Use a potato sack or something local to camouflage your bag, cutting slots for handles and straps. Seems risk of theft is proportionate to the number of transfers made (plane - train - automobile). Have fun.</p>

<p>"written acceptance of risk" ... I like that. Photographers must unite and establish laws so the risk can be passed over to the airlines. We need to find some ambitious, (not necessarily bright), politicians to push this through the congress...</p>

<p>Once I was forced to check in my photo gear since it was too heavy, but was smaller than the allowed size limit. This was during my second leg of the trip, while switching planes. I was lucky on the first plane.</p>

<p>Make sure if this happens to you, your gear has some minimal mechanical protection in there. Though there is no protection from theft.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>They relented and let me carry it on.........!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They could just as easily have said that you either check it or you're not flying. What would you have done then? Your request was empty I'm afraid, there wouldn't have been anyone there authorised to vary the airline's standard contract or create a binding new contract on behalf of the airline. The basic message is not to depend on being able to break the airline's carry on rules. You will sometimes get away with it, but other times you won't. </p>

<p>Singapore Airlines have advised me to check it in as "Fragile". This apparently means that it will be hand-carried throughout the airport (ie no conveyor belts, flippers, chutes etc) to and from the plane. Since I am flying only one sector at a time they claim it won't get lost! It must of course be appropriately packed in Pelican cases or similar.<br>

You can also insure for true value, the cost of which I am waiting to find out this afternoon - will post here FYI. The lady thought it might be 1% of economy fare but needed to go and check. That would be pretty cheap - about NZ$20 - so if that is correct I'd certainly do that.<br>

It gives me one more bag to lug around whilst travelling though that I could do without.</p>

<p>That's a lot of stuff unless you're on a major assignment. I would carry one less body and 1-2 less lenses/or multipliers, for two reasons: One, to make sure the gear and bag it is in is well within the weight/size restrictions for carry-on. Second, to make it more portable.</p>

<p>"I was asked to check the TT roller in once on a flight to Australia with all the same gear in it. I said I would be delighted to do so if the airline gave me written acceptance of the risk to my gear worth $50,000.<br /> They relented and let me carry it on.........!"</p>

<p> Try that in the US sometime.</p>

<p> I think the Singapore Airlines fragile "solution" is risky as hell.</p>

<p> Thievery around Indian airports is a problem.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Simple: I would not have flown.</p>

<p>Hmm. Easy thing to say, but if it was work rather than recreation; If that work had deadlines or timescales involved; if you had non refundable tickets and it was clear that you were refusing to fly under the airlines normal t&c rather than them refusing to carry you; if you thought for a moment about the odds in favour of your equipment arriving at the other end entire and undamaged in its substantial bag. If the equipment was covered by insurance ( you're a professional travelling with $50K worth of gear, right, you must have all risks insurance for your gear). I think even a few of those "ifs" would have seen most professionals, including this one, on the plane rather than explain to a client that they weren't going to get their photographs because their photographer turned up to the airport not complying with the airlines stated regs. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>If I carry one less body, that essentially means one body only.</p>

<p>If that one body should fail...... somehow doubt I'll find too many Nikon repair agencies in rural India. That would be my biggest concern there.<br>

Yes, I have insurance, but it only covers the Pacific region. NZ insurers have not quite got the fact that photographers work around the world. I am trying to get them to quote me for extending the cover worldwide but it is proving an uphill battle so far. My travel insurance would cover it but to nowhere near the replacement cost.<br>

OOI, a Pelican case loaded with that lot weighs 13.5kg. <br>

Since my wife is travelling (nominally as my 'assistant' - only way to get my pass stamped for the trip) I will probably just split the gear between 2 bags for carrying on and pack anything over that deep in my check in or in the pocket of my coat.<br>

Anyone have any thoughts on a good non-descript working bag once I am there? </p>

<p>It's on trips like this that I see the point of the Leica M9.....!<br>

<br /></p>

<p>Sorry, I misread and thought you were taking three bodies, M. You do need two on a trip like this. With an assistant, you should be able to carry everything on board. Be exceedingly careful about keeping an eye on your gear non-stop between the de-planing and the taxi/train/bus.</p>

<p>So what is the best way to carry it when working? India is a new destination for me: I have shot in Cambodia, Laos and Thailand before but was using Leica M6 gear which is a lot smaller and lighter. That is not suitable for this trip as I need good digital images etc.<br>

There are so many bag options that I am almost in overload! So far:</p>

<p>Think Tank Urban Disguise 35 or 70<br>

TT Retrospective 20 or 30<br>

Domke F1x<br>

Boda Lens Bag (although that would give me no space for bodies)<br>

Something Billingham (but a bit heavy and obviously expensive)</p>

<p>I'd welcome any suggestions from those who have done it!</p>

<p>Hey M Adams, I don't think Quatas had a choice, it says into policy not to check any electronic equipment and they are not liable for any loss or stolen if checked in. So, they had no choice but to let you check it in, since they did not want to be liable for any damage or theft. </p>