upgrading camera. which to get

david_storm1

<p>I have an old rebel, and am ready to upgrade. I live in the northwest, and I enjoy landscape and wildlife images.<br>

is there much of a difference between the 50D and the 7D? My idea was to stay away from the kit lens, and buy an L glass lens, no matter which one I ended up getting..Or would I just be better off in the long run getting a 5D since it already comes in a kit with the L glass quality lens?..I have no interest in shooting video, so that is not a consideration, even though everything seems to come with video capability these days. Which of these bodies, would be the most weather resistant? It rains here quite often.<br>

thanks for the help</p>

<p>Storm</p>

<p>Hi Storm,<br>

A friend of me asked this same question recently. Here are the essential differences. Also check out my review: http://thephoblographer.com/2010/04/30/the-complete-canon-7d-review/<br>

* 7D has much better weather sealing and a much sturdier body. Seriously, since this seems to be your highest concern, the 7D is it.<br>

* 7D can shoot video and has a switch to choose stills or photos.<br>

* 7D has wireless flash control<br>

* 7D can shoot at higher ISOs with less noise because of the duel digic 4's<br>

* 7D has a RAW+JPEG button<br>

* 7D shoots faster fps<br>

* 7D's autofocus system blows the 50D's out of the water. It's almost close to the 1D Mk IV's.<br>

* 7D's metering is much more accurate.<br>

* 7D allow users to enter their copyright information into the camera without the use of DPP (much better feature)<br>

* Better LCD on the 7D<br>

* Better button layout that makes a hell of a lot more sense.<br>

* More megapixels, and good megapixels that can give you great, sharp details with lower noise.<br>

* No stupid gimmick modes like "sports mode" or "portrait mode" or "pets mode" on the 7D. It's meant for professionals, so professionals use it.<br>

Hope that helps man. Get the 7D and perhaps the 24-105mm F4 L IS off craigslist or something.</p>

<p>Hi , Storm , maybe you should pay attention first at the lenses, it depends however which is your style .<br />If you prefere the wide angle (and low-light), maybe you would like to go full frame (even the 10-22 seems to be very well regarded but a little slow ,at f/3,5 and has a plus if weight is a problem).There are some choices here ,primes and zooms from 16mm to the classic 24mm(in the wide end )<br />There is also a new walk-around 15-85IS for the crop bodyes.<br />If you like more the tele , a crop body has an advantage , and you could go with a 70-200IS.If price is a problem , the 70-300IS or the 55-250IS are good choices-the last one if you prefere to go light)<br />In my opinion , a good SH 5D mark I would be a resonable answer. The new bodyes are far too pricey and they loose their value way too fast. The money must go to the good glass.<br>

Of course, if the water sealed body is a must....I think the 5D I is not what you search</p>

For normal people (that do not need video capability) the 50D is an affordable alternative for the 7D.

If your rebel is 400D/XTi or older the improvement in image quality will be worthwile.

The improvement in handling and buildquality is huge compared to any rebel.

(if you prefer a small camera the latest rebel 550D/T2i would give you the image quality of a 7D in a small package.)

That said, the 7D is the better camera if the money's no objection.

<p>The 7D is a great camera, I use mine with the 24-105mm f/4L IS as my standard lens, and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS for tele shots, and both are fantastic. There's a link to a website floating around here where the photographer was in Antarctica and has a picture of snow and drops of water all over his 7D, and it was perfectly fine.</p>

<p>It seems that the battery grip (if you choose to go that route) compromises the weather resistance, so keep that in mind.</p>

<p>Decide which is more important/more frequent, wildlife or landscape. If wildlife, go with the 7D for the reach, and VIDEO!. If landscape, 5D for the FF sensor and wide lens options.</p>

<p>If you have lots of money get both, and change lenses less often.</p>