Finally buying a new lens... 70-300 AF-S VR

melinda_gaus

<p>Okay, yes, I've only been talking about it for ....um EVER... but I FINALLY got my bonus check from work (woo!)</p>

<p>But I am going to buy the Nikon 70-300VR lens.</p>

<p>Should I buy<br>

1. From KEH used for approximately $500 (has a like new rating with "perfect glass")<br>

or<br>

2. From a local retailer new (something like Best Buy or Ritz) at about $600.</p>

<p>Opinions, please...and I can finally put this to rest. Sorry I've been harping on it for so long. I'm the most indecisive shopper ever.</p>

<p>This will be added to my currently owned Nikon 18-70mm, the Nikon 50mm, and my Nikon SB600. I have a D80.</p>

<p>Can I piggy-back on this thread to just ask to one of you who know this lens well - what is its performance like on FX? Especially in terms of corner sharpness and vignetting?</p>

<p>It is excellent on FX. I use it with a D3. If gives deep, rich color, excellent contrast and is very, very sharp even wide open. Vignetting is not an issue with this lens. Focus speed is pretty good as well (certainly not as fast as the 70-200mm but still excellent for outdoor sports and faster than the 80-400mm). </p>

<p>As you appear a bit hesitant in your purchase, be sure to buy it from a store that accepts returns. </p>

<p>Adorama, Pnets partner store sells the lens for $529 with free shipping. Here is a link to the lens on their site:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/NK70300AFVRU.html">http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/NK70300AFVRU.html</a></p>

<p>Melinda, i would buy this lens new, the reason is that the price is not that bad for what you get, plus you take advantage of the 5years warranty, not to mention the "peace of mind" knowing that it hasnt been dropped, used in cold weather, left in a hot car etc....<br>

I have this lens, i mainly use it on my D300 as i like the long range and its super sharp glass for sports, but its also good on my d700.<br>

This lens , coupled with that 50mm you have will be a lethal combo on the D80.<br>

good luck!</p>

<p>I'm with Steven - I would go new - I had the choice of mint used 24-70mm f/2.8 for $1700 or a brand new one for $1714 + taxes of $223 = $1937. I went new because of Nikon's excellent 5 year warranty and their warranty explicitly states that the warranty is to the original purchaser and is non-transferable - I didn't want to take a chance of it not being covered.</p>

<p>I love my 70-300mm VR on my D90 and it has never given me an issue. My 18-135mm DX lens that came in the kit with my D80 has been back to Nikon twice for the autofocus motor failing but was and is still under warranty.</p>

<p>Buy a new one from <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449088-USA/Nikon_2161_AF_S_VR_Zoom_Nikkor_70_300mm.html">B&H Photo</a> and get a 5 year Nikon warranty. If you have already jumped the gun and ordered from KEH, cancel the order, or return the used lens when you get it. BTW, KEH is not the company it used to be. Equipment ratings are no longer as conservative as they were in the past, but prices have remained high.</p>

<p>I love this lens on my D90. It produced far superior image than my Sigma 400 APO 5.6 in terms of contrast and sharpness, not to mention AFS and VR features. However, not being a shopper over the net in US, the Canadian list price with the exchange rate may be even cheaper than B&H without considering other issues:<br>

<a href="http://www.downtowncamera.com/index.php/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=1633&category_id=236">http://www.downtowncamera.com/index.php/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=1633&category_id=236</a></p>

<p>Thanks, guys. I think I will buy from B&H new. I will just have to grin and bear it and wait for the shipping part (always the worst part!!)</p>

<p>Oh, and B&H says the site is not taking orders until tonight because of a holiday observed yesterday. No problem, but what holiday am I missing?</p>

<p>The Jewish holiday is called Shavuot, to commemorate Moses receiving the Ten Commandments on Mt. Sinai. It started sundown Tuesday night and ended sundown Thursday night. I was in B&H for the first time a couple of months ago while visiting New York, what an absolutely amazing place, never seen anything like it. If I ever win the lottery, I'm going there and spend it all, and I still could not buy enough of what they have on hand.</p>

<p>Robert, can you elaborate on your observations about KEH? I've bought quite a few things from them over the last couple of years, and while I agree about the high prices, I've always felt confident that I was dealing with a solid, trustworthy company. Items rated BGN have ranged from looking used but perfectly fine to nearly perfect. Items rated EX or better have always looked practically new. Has there been a change of management or something?</p>

<p>So, I Ordered a d300s from Adorama on Monday and because of Shavout (spelling?!) they still haven't shipped it :( Nothing against Jewish people or their Holidays - but why do you think 2 major photo equip. companies (B&H and Adorama) both observe a Jewish Holiday when most companies don't?? Hmmmmm</p>

<p>It seems to me, especially after being in B&H, that both companies are owned by orthodox Jews. I was brought up orthodox in Los Angeles (it didn't take) and it makes perfect sense to me that they are closed on those holidays.</p>