Which 55mm micro?

hiro

<p>I'm looking for a 55mm to use with my D700. Just wanted a few opinions as to which version you prefer. I had heard that a pre AI F3.5 version was very good, but didn't realize there are a few.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>There should be four pre-AI versions with significant difference.</p>

<p>a. Pre-set aperture (rare and expensive. Don't have one, so can't comment on performance. I think it is expensive because of its collector status)</p>

<p>b. Aperture compensated version. This is the one that suppose to be the best of the 3 micro nikkor, with macro size subject (Have one and agree)</p>

<p>c. Close to the AI version but does not have aperture compensation feature. little bit less good at macro but better at distant (Have a AI version and also agree).</p>

<p>d. Not a 35mm lens but its suppose to be the best out there when it come to 4:1 macro. 55mm f2.0 Ultra Nikkor.</p>

<p>Check Roland's informative link for details and serial number.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html">http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html</a><br>

<a href="http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroom/redbook-e/ultra/um55twolens.html">http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroom/redbook-e/ultra/um55twolens.html</a></p>

<p>I have the 55mm f3.5 AI'd (second edition pre-AI orginally) and it is a very nice lens. It is NOT very good at infinity (or even for use as a portrait lens), the 50mm f1.8 AF-D is much better for anything non-marco.</p>

<p>Thanks Peter.<br>

I'd love an AF-D or AF-S but really don't want to invest that much. I rarely shoot in the close range.<br>

Thanks Glen.<br>

Just looking for something for to use for close ups. I have a Sigma 50mm I use for almost everything nowadays.<br>

It seems like I can't go wrong with any of them.</p>

<p>Hiro,</p>

<p>You can NOT lose with any of the AI 55mm micros, then. If cheap is an issue, in this one case, you will get far more than you pay for. I don't know how good the lens is at long distances, because I've probably never shot anything at long distance with it, but I don't think you're going to either. Close-up is what it's designed for and it's incredible.</p>

<p>Hi, you cannot go wrong with any of the 55mm Micro nikkors and tons are available for 100$ or less in mint condition.<br>

I have the 55mm AIS 2.8 micro, outstanding both close and at infinity from 2.8 to 16 (high contrast no chromatic aberrations, about 100lp resolution over the whole frame). I also have the 55mm pre AI 3.5PC. excellent up close and infinity but less striking than the 2.8 (no CRC hence a compromise between close/distant performance).<br>

Out of focus (bokeh) is also quite pleasing with the 2.8.<br>

I can mail you full res pictures if you wish.</p>

<p>cheers</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just wanna chime in that my 55mm 2.8 AIS Micro works great at close and infinity. Just it doesn't go down to 1:1. I've tried the 60 AF-D and 60 AF-S... both are no longer in my stable of lenses :D<br>

Regards,<br>

Alvin</p>

<p>A while ago I was checking out the 55mm f2.8 on ebay and found one for a very good price. The seller advised that this lens has a tendency to go bad because of its design. To be specific, the focus ring becomes stiff over time even to the point of being impossible to turn. The aperture gets stuck at f/2.8. </p>

<p >He went on to explain that there are two helicals inside the lens making it possible to make very fine adjustment in focus which is really important in macro lenses. However, because there are two helical, one needs more lubricant in the barrel to allow the focus to be turned. Over time, the lubricant first turns into oil. Without the needed lubricant, the focus ring becomes stiff and over time, impossible to turn.</p>

<p >Those were exact words. Im still very much interested in the lens since I've heard really good review on it. If anyone has had such an experience or additional info as above please advise.</p>

<p>Thanks for the rest of the responses. I'm just back from a local sale for the F2.8. The blades were soaked. Better luck next time I guess.</p>

<p>The AF version is actually starting to interest me. (:</p>

<p>Thanks again everyone.</p>