D700 - Dark screen

peter_choo2

<p>A rectangular suddenly appears on the screen the size of DX Image and I cannot get rid of it! It is hard to see through this rectangular but the photographs taken are sharp. I had tried resetting to factory default but to no avail. The dark rectangular is still there even with the camera off. Any suggestions.</p>

<p>The area <strong>inside </strong>the DX area is darkened? I have never heard of that. If you have another battery, try a different, fully charged battery. The entire D700 focusing screen can get dim and blurry if there is no battery.</p>

<p>Tried a fully charged battery and another battery but to no avail. Take off the battery and the entire screen is dim and blurry, put on the battery and the dark area is there again no matter if it is set to DX or FX! It was perfectly OK before and this happens without me changing anything! I will do a firmware upgrade tomorrow and see if that will cure the problem.</p>

<p>There is absolutely no reason to block out the center of the frame. Something is malfunctioning inside. I very much doubt that changing firmware will make any difference. Most likely this is a hardware issue.</p>

<p>Give Nikon a call and see whether they have any idea, since they deal with a lot of repairs and might be aware of some rare situations. But be prepared to send the camera in for repair.</p>

<p>Shun. Thanks. I was afraid that it will be a hardware problem. I tried loading the 1.02 software, I can get to the update screen, ver1.02 software, high lighted the Yes but nothing happen. The D700 is a US model and still under warranty. However I am from Perth,WA but will be in Sunnyvale, Ca soon. Can you tell me where is closest Nikon agent for warranty repair.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>However I am from Perth,WA but will be in Sunnyvale, Ca soon.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Was your camera purchased in Australia or in the US? I think Nikon has an OZ subsidery now and I would imagine that they have offices in Sydney (if not Perth). For Nikon USA, send it to their repair center in El Segundo, California, very close to the Los Angeles airport (LAX). I have been there a few times: <a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00CuyP">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00CuyP</a></p>

<p>According to the repair agent, it is likely to be the flex ribbon connecting to the screen that is faulty. It is very rare and he had to phone Sydney for consultations. US warranties are not valid here so El Segundo here I come.</p>