Dropped my K-x + DA 10-17 fisheye on concrete, from waist-level ...

thebs

<p>I dropped my K-x + DA 10-17 fisheye on concrete, from waist-level, a good 3 feet. I got my straps between my K20D and K-x around my neck and instead of just shifting them around my neck, I hastily took them off, not grabbing on to my K-x well. In fact, I think it hit the ground at an accelerated speed because I was bringing it down when I lost my grip.<br>

But other than the lower left of the steel flange hood on the DA 10-17 fisheye curling in a bit, and likely taking most of the shock, it's completely fine. The solid housing and floating sensor, the body designed to protect it, along with metal lens mounts on both the body and lens are definitely kicks the tolerance versus other pure-plastic entry-level options from the "other guys." Everyone around me was completely impressed when i started shooting again, especially since it looked like it landed right on the lens.<br>

I am a Pentaxian.</p>

<p>I once dropped my Rebel film camera on rocks from chest level - it also landed on the lens, the lens cap was on and absorbed some of the shock, the lens filter ring was bent, but the camera combo survived all this.<br>

I only dropped my Pentax K10D from a table on carpet - I was picking it up and the neck strap caught on a table corner. Better scenario than concrete though. I saw a Canon Rebel DSLR surviving a fall on carpet too. It's good you dropped the lighter camera - the K20D would have put more weight on the lens in the drop.</p>

<p>Laurentiu --<br>

That's what impressed me. Putting the optics in the lens aside (I need to do a formal test, but it looks good so far), the lens mount -- nothing, no damage, no distortion. And this was with just the K-x. I thought the K-x had a much cheaper lens mount, but I guess not!<br>

I'm not so sure the K20D would have had any more issues either though. More weight doesn't mean it accelerates any faster. And I'm sure they make the K20D's lens mount, and body, even tougher, for the types of lenses that are typical, enough "added strength" to off-set the additional mass and deal with additional forces at the crucial points.<br>

I remember I bumped my K20D into a guard rail about 18 months ago fairly hard when doing a little hike. One Nikon D40x owner behind me stated, "I bet that took your camera out!"<br>

It was funny. He assumed Pentax was some off-brand with a cheap build. I let him hold my K20D and he was shocked. It wasn't the first time I bumped it hard. It won't be the last. He also didn't know about the weather sealing, because it started raining just as we concluded talking.</p>

<p>I guess going from a D40 to a K20D would be a shock! Or to a D300 for that matter. I have a friend also named Bryan who bought a D40 kit outfit last year, not having asked me any advice beforehand. I only made positive comments, though I previously would have advised him about the SDM motor-only restriction on lenses.</p>

<p>One thing you might check on, Bryan, the curled hood edge of that super-wide fisheye might be enough to cause some vignetting to occur on that side.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've said it before but Pentax DSLRs are priced at near disposable levels, yet give high quality imaging without low quality build.</p>

<p>The fact is for $500-1000 you cannot kill these cameras which is almost a shame, because it makes upgrading so much more painful.</p>

<p>My Pentax D (2003 era) was given away this weekend along with a 28mm and a 80-210 lens. I had that camera since 2005, and it looked like new despite being my "beater"/winter camera for the last 3 years. Since I couldn't get a respectable price for it I gave it away to a friend whom I knew would appreciate it. I bet he shoots it for another 18-24 months.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I once dropped a Canon EOS350D onto concrete. It landed on its 50mm f1.8 lens and the lens literally flew apart. The camera survived though, with the popup flash dented and mis-aligned. But it died when I tried to remount the 50mm lens after "repairing" it. My amateurish soldering job on the snapped ribbon cable inside the 50mm toasted the camera's main PCB.</p>

<p>Big mistake on my part, the 50mm lens costs $80.</p>

<p>But it led to my buying a K10D :-)</p>

<p>Hmmmmm. I have to report that I'm not so sold on Pentax build quality, or am I? I'm not sure. My DA 17-70 has rolled off a bed onto a carpeted floor. And once again thunked onto a carpeted floor, that time a bit more forcefully, but in both cases, the lens lost AF capability. Briefly. It came back. Seems to work fine, but man, I'm not 100% sure. I didn't expect it to work at all after either fall, and it DID go wonky, but should I trust it?</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4154934">Somanna</a> --<br>

He ran off, to get his equipment out of the rain. ;)<br>

<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2333979">Michael</a> --<br>

I fully expect the shots with the DA 10-17 fisheye to have some vignetting when I inspect them more closely. But I was still able to shoot, as well as put the DA 16-45 f/4 on the K-x and shoot more.<br>

The lens mount and body is absolutely undamaged. It really took a hit on the ground, at an angle that would have messed up anything that didn't have some seriously reinforced housing with a steel mount.</p>

<p>Bryan said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm not so sure the K20D would have had any more issues either though. More weight doesn't mean it accelerates any faster.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Force is proportional with both mass and acceleration. Acceleration being constant, you'll get a higher impact force from dropping a heavier object.</p>

<p>Laurentiu --<br /> Equating mass (via force) to shock is <strong>incorrect</strong>. Shock is measured in "Gs" for a reason. ;)<br /> Furthermore, you ignored my continued comments that heavier Pentax bodies are designed to withstand greater forces, because of their greater mass. Otherwise, by your argument, one should buy a K200D/K-x instead of a K20D/K7 for a DA* 300 f/4, let alone a Bigma, because the mass is less and it would be less wear on the mount. In fact, one must also factor in the lens weight with that argument, which really hits "all plastic" designs ... (pun) hard (pun)<br /> I think you're guilty of assumption here. Engineers aren't dumb. They factor in tensile strength, loads, stress, etc... in the design. In the same regard you argue increased weight of the K20D, I point out increased durability of its frame, construction, seals, etc...<br /> What I think you're "reaching" for has more to do with center-of-gravity, angle-of-impact and other considerations. Yes, those are affected by the mass in both body and lens, but Gs are Gs -- they would cause angular momentum and other, additional acceleration. Otherwise, a drop is a drop, the angle of impact is the angle of impact, surface area and reinforcement at that location impact, etc...<br /> Although if you want to get [Engineering Mechanics:] Dynamics and some Computer Aided Modeling (CAM) out, go ahead. ;)</p>

<p>This is getting to be ridiculous, but what I said was:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the K20D would have put more weight on the lens in the drop.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I didn't say the K20D would have necessarily been more vulnerable than the K-x in a fall, I just said that the lens might have been damaged more if it was attached to the K20D.<br>

If you don't believe me, try the following experiment. Drop a pen on your toe. Then drop a brick. If you can't tell the difference, then you're using some really heavy pens. This has nothing to do with Gs and acceleration.</p>

<p>Laurentiu -- Sorry, I was focusing on the body and lens mount, not the lens. I now note your statement. My apologies. Just heard of a lot of people killing their lens mount on other bodies, even if the lens survived.</p>

<p>Damn I wrote a longer explanation and the browser let me down with all my input :(<br>

In short, Bryan, you remember something from the physics class but not fully correct.<br>

The force of the impact is a <strong>product </strong>between the <strong >speed</strong> of the impact (in fact the speed of decceleration) and the <strong >mass</strong> of the object(s). Thus the force of a K20 compared with the force of a K-x hitting the ground would be that much higher as the mass of the K20 is higher compared with the mass of the K-x (roughly 50% higher I think). Ussualy the weakest points in any assembly are the junctions so the mount would have to withstand a greater breaking force thus more inclined to break.<br>

To conclude, if you drop a Pentax, hope you drop your lightest one and pray for 0 consequences :)</p>

<p>Marius --<br /> People are discussing physics when I'm trying to discuss engineering mechanics. ;)<br /> The continued failure to <strong>considers all factors</strong>, including the static design of the K20D superstructure, lens mount and other things. This is the difference between simple, high school level physics and engineering mechanics. My continued point is that the K20D was designed to take additional forces, tensile, torque and other forces.<br /> The only thing I'm guilty of is not recognizing Laurentiu's point on the lens itself. He was correct, the additional weight of the K20D will factor in on the lens, over the K-x. However, the structrual integrity of the K20D's lens mount will actually help the lens' own mount as well. There are at least a dozen factors in 6DOF.<br /> This is clearly a dynamics-level engineering mechanics discussion. Although I'm so freak'n sorry I attempted to introduce such. Using one-dimensional high school level physics to explain this is not accurate at all. Weight is hardly the sole consideration, and it ignores the K20D sheer design over the K-x (which contributes to its weight too).</p>

• 3 weeks later...