Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8

laurel_jensen

<p>I'm going to buy a Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. The cheapest price is $1399 at an online store called Thunder Cameras. I hesitate to buy it here though ...<br>

They have two lens listed - the one for $1399 and another for $2700, both 24-70mm f/2.8 - but the more expensive one says "(all steel)".<br>

Question is: does Nikon make 2 versions of this lens? I don't see any other company advertising two prices.<br>

And ... what is "grey market"?</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"The <strong>cheapest price</strong> is $1399 at an online store ..."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>If that is how you shop for this lens, I can GUARANTEE that you will not like the final outcome, as you are 99.9% likely to set yourself up for a "bait and switch" scam.</p>

<p>The REAL retail price for this lens in the USA is at the bhphoto link above posted by Shun. Anything significantly cheaper is not a true price, which you will learn the hard way if you continue shopping this way.</p>

<p>Read the resellerratings.com link that Shun posted carefully, only sort the reviews by "low". Many of the high praise feedbacks for this outfit are probably as FAKE as their prices and their "all steel" lens falsehoods.<br /> <a href="http://www.resellerratings.com/seller26055-p1-s2-d1.html#reviews">http://www.resellerratings.com/seller26055-p1-s2-d1.html#reviews</a></p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

I <em>had</em> read some very negative reviews of this company and others just like them but there were also very positive reviews so I wasn't sure. I had called them a few days ago to talk about buying a D700 and when they said it was an import model, "the camera menu is in Japanese and can't be changed", I said I'd have to think about it. I thought I'd buy the lens from them though figuring that they couldn't sell a substandard high-end lens and stay in business.<br>

Needless to say, based on the reviews, they can and do. I'll be going to B&H or another reputable source.<br>

I appreciate those who took the time to respond - you headed off a stupid and potentially costly mistake!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the camera menu is in Japanese and can't be changed</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is simply a flat out lie. On any Nikon DSLR, the menu language can easily be switched among a dozen or two languages. The newer models conver more languages. My native language is Chinese, and I have switched the menu to Chinese just to look around. (In fact, Nikon DSLRs have two Chinese menus: traditional and simplified. Most people who can read Chinese should be able to read both.) Nikon's translation is not very good so that it is much easier for me to use the menu in English.</p>

<p>Lauren, that store is an obvious "bait and switch" scam shop. Again, there is only one version of the 24-70mm/f2.8 AF-S and there is no Nikon D700 with a menu only in Japanese. Stay far far away from that store.</p>