Should I switch macro lenses from Tamron to Pentax?

jacques c pelletier

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

Summer is coming soon (still fairly cold here though) and I thought that it is time to start doing some macro photos.<br>

Not that I am an expert at it, far from that, but I would sure like to "get going" for a change. My DA*300/4 has been a constant "attachment" to my K20D in the past and now is a fixture on the K7.<br>

I presently own a Tamron SP Di 90/2.8 Macro lens with which I took a few shots already and, to be frank, are quite acceptable (to me anyway).<br>

Problem is that when I go in wet/humid areas, I am afraid that because this lens is not weather "resistant", I might damage it. However, as I mentioned earlier, this lens makes indeed some great shots.<br>

So, I am wondering if it would be foolish to sell the Tammy and go for this new Pentax 100mm WR which shows a lot of good reviews. I am also wondering, if I do that, if there would be a demand for the Tamron lens.<br>

Suggestions would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Cheers.</p>

<p>JP</p>

<p>I expect that the optical difference is not huge, they're both excellent macro lenses. The Tamron should still fetch a decent price but you will lose money on the deal. People have been shooting with unsealed lenses for a long time, maybe be just a little bit careful and enjoy shooting with what you have.</p>

<p>Your thoughts regarding WR are one reason why I upgraded to the new Pentax. Also, the new lens is very compact. The measurements given in the Pop Photo review are completely wrong. It s MUCH smaller. I am fond of often going about with a compact kit and the lens fits into that concept. I like having products of high-quality build and design when I can get such in a way that complements other aspects of my system, and this lens does that as regards to the Limited primes. If you shoot with some older Pentax film bodies requiring an aperture ring, however, the new lens has none.</p>

<p>Nothing wrong with your Tamron, though. It does a fine job.</p>

<p>I have the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 also and it's great lens. If I was you I would keep the Tamron and spend the money on one of those fine Limited lenses. How much better do you think the Pentax macro lens will be than the Tamron? Not much if at all in most cases I would think.</p>

<p>Like Michael said, nothing wrong with your Tamron.</p>

<p>JP<br>

I'll just reiterate what Andrew said. The WR is a nice-to-have feature but not having it hasn't stopped me from using any of my three macro lenses in soggy weather.</p>

<p>I think you should spend your energy learning how to use the perfectly fine lens you own. With macro and closeup lenses, the more relevant questions concern matching the appropriate focal lengths with your approach to taking shots. Those requirements often take many moons to figure out. And it's fun.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Hello Jacques,<br />You already have an excellent and very well-reputed macro lens in the Tamron 90mm f/2.8, which I also own myself. Looking at the picture quality you have very little to gain, if even gaining anything at all with the Pentax WR. Since the Tamron is rather widespread and Pentax not among the largest brands, you will likely lose some significant amount of money on selling it, though it has good reputation.<br />If I were you I would buy a rain cover for DSLRs instead. Most probably much cheaper, and you will avoid a lot of water drops on the surface of the camera that you work with, which is not fun even if you know that the water will not enter the camera and lens bodies. And a rain cover can work with most of your lenses.<br />Moreover, how often do you take macros or even other photos in very rainy conditions? Is this with the WR actually a problem, or just a wish for you to own the best possible equipment? I know, I have a tendency myself to wish such things, but there are so many other products to spend money on in photography, so I recommend buying some other equipment that may trigger your skills in other respects. I mean, if your money really burns in your pocket. Just a well-meant advice from me...</p>

<p>Andrew:<br />As I am reading your reply and the others' posts, I realize that it would probably a foolish thing to do in switching for the Pentax, albeit with great reviews.<br />I guess I should just shoot more with the Tamron and appreciate its full potential.<br />Thanks for your reply.</p>

<p>JP</p>

<p>Hi Michael.<br />This new 100mm WR Macro sure seems to be quite a gem, according to reviews from all over. It is also looks like a Limited.<br />But, as I am reading further down this thread, maybe I am thinking that I "need" it while the truth is that I "want" it ... LBA?<br />Maybe I should get more practice with the Tamron and see what I can do with it. Perhaps later when I see a used one for sale (which I doubt) I will reconsider?<br />I thank you for the reply!<br />Cheers.<br />JP</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Michael (Elenko):<br />If bad weather hasn't stopped you, it shouldn't stop me either! Good point.<br />As you said, it is a matter of USING the lens more and have fun with it.<br />As for the tecnique of doing macro, of course I have much, much to learn.<br />Well, thanks for the reply.<br />Cheers.<br />JP</p>

<p>Staffan,<br>

You just confirmed my decision to keep the Tamron.<br>

Also, very good arguments:<br>

Is the IQ better with the Pentax?<br>

Is this a matter of "wanting" the Pentax lens?<br>

Spend much less and get "protection" for the gear.<br>

Thanks for the timely reply.<br>

Cheers.<br>

JP</p>

<p>I almost bought the Tamron 90 f/2.8 Macro last year, when they were running a rebate that dropped it to $400. I held off. I almost pull the trigger again this year. But I finally splurged the extra $250 for the new D-FA 100 F/2.8 Macro WR. It was that hard of a decision. The Tamron was well liked, but the Pop Photo reivew pushed me over the edge to the Pentax.<br>

If I already had the Tamron 90 f/2.8 Macro, I'd just stick with it. Unless you really run into a lot of rain, and are out in it, like I do in Florida, the Tamron is just fine. When I was at the Albany Tulip Festival, it was wet, but only a few drops here and there. I saw people with non-weather sealed macros and doing just fine. In fact, I was privately praying for rain so I could get plenty of people telling me my camera wasn't worth getting the shots (before I informed them it was a WR solution).<br>

Don't fret it. The Tamron 90 f/2.8 Macro does just fine. I'd recommend the few extra bucks for the new Pentax 100 f/2.8 Macro WR only if someone didn't already have a solid macro like the Tamron.<br>

Initial Test Shots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebs413/sets/72157623794239025/<br>

Albany Tulip Festival: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebs413/sets/72157623896645217/</p>

<p>Amazing photos, Bryan, and thanks for the reply.<br>

Yes indeed, had I not own a Tamron maco, I seriously think I would have bought this 100mm/WR, no doubt.<br>

But since all replies here confirm that this is a keeper, I might as well get out there and start to really use it.<br>

Cheers.<br>

JP</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>According to many people the Tamron 90 f/2.8 Macro is a very sharp lens. Pentax 100mm WR is a great lens too. I have the older Pentax FA 100 version and almost picked up the Tamron 90 Macro on several occasions, but the focal lengths are just too close. Instead, I bought a DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited. It's a lens thats been on my wishlist for a while. </p>

<p>DA 70 is in between my FA 100 and FA 50, but I've found that focal length has a unique perspective to it when it comes to portraits.</p>