Canon FD 35mm F2 Concave Element on G1

david_thrower

<p>Hi Everyone<br>

Before I go any further I must say I'm a film fan and I still shoot a lot of film with my A1 F1n and T90 and various lenses...<br>

I bought a G1 a few months ago and I use it for family snaps and occasionally when I'm taking scouting shots for clients (I'm an architectural photographer). I bought a Roxsen FD adaptor from Hong Kong via Ebay and although it arrived a few months ago I've only just statred to use it.<br>

I've only tried it with my 35mm F2 concave element FD lens but I must say I'm delighted with the feel of the combination and quality of the pictures. The metering is a bit hit and miss but I love the pictures I get from this combination.<br>

I will always shoot more film than digital with the FD kit but I took the lens out today when I walked my dogs and snapped a few things as I went.<br>

I've posted them up here for comment although the content is very exciting I hope the quality of this beautiful lens comes through.<br>

Thanks for looking!.</p>

<div>00WRRe-243393584.jpg.4264ab4731c8edd70263bd669dd54a1c.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Louis<br>

It works pretty well - although the pictures I posted are only snaps I think this is a viable use of FD kit. I'm thinking that macro work would be the best use of the G1 FD combination . As the the G1 crops into the frame by 50% even a 50mm macro should give some interesting close ups and the depth of field should be helped by the small sensor.<br>

Also I shoot products and architecture professionally with a 5D MK2 and some L series zooms and a 24mm Tilt and Shift lens so I'm thinking now that an old 35mm FD Tilt and Shift lens would be a useful addition effectively giving me a 70mm T/S lens with lots of shift available due to the small sensor. <br>

I'm going to try a proper studio portrait shoot with my 55mm 1.2 asph this week and will post some results.<br>

I will always shoot film on my FD kit because I love shooting film but it was fun yesterday wondering around with the tiny new G1 and the big old 35mm FD lens.<br>

Cheers<br>

David</p>

<p>The 100 F4 Macro works great on the G1 (you need a tripod) as does the 24 F2. I have been rather disappointed with my 35 F2.8 TS lens on the G1. Shift works fine but with a 70mm lens is of less use. Tilt does not deliver the results you see on an FD body and I assume this is a result of the small sensor. I will post a shot to show you what I mean.</p>

<p>Hi Philip<br>

Please do post some pictures from the 35mm T/S lens - that would be interesting.<br>

I only really use shift as I shoot a lot of buildings - have you tried any product shots using this lens using the tilt to control the focus plane?.<br>

I will look out for a 100mm F4 macro - is that a Canon made lens?.<br>

Best regards<br>

David</p>

<p>I have not tried the G1 with a TS lens for product shots - I really do not shoot them and when I have my Fuji GX680 MF body is the one I use as it has full front movement and produces large negatives. I will shoot a few TS shots with the G1 and 35 F2.8 to show what I mean. and post them either later today or this weekend.</p>

<p>Here is a shot with the 100 f4 macro. it is goes to 1;1 with the 50mm extension tube (that came with the lens when it was new). It is a great lens and works very well on the G1. The movable LCD on the G1 helps a lot with macro if you use a tripod. Not a great image but one that was handy. I will take a series of TS shots to show you what I mean but in essence the shift feels limited and the tilt has less effect than on an Fd body</p><div>00WSgO-244105584.jpg.a4bf082db1b3f9939855740cef07ca6e.jpg</div>

<p>I actually prefer the 24 F2 to the 35 f2 on my G1 but both are great (as is the 50 f1.4). here are two test shots with the 35 f2.8 TS lens. Both are taken on a tripod with a remote release. The first is with the lens untilted and the second at maximum downward tilt. Both shots are at F2.8. As you can see in this quick test I tilted the lens to increase the in focus area. the tilt has an effect but not as strong as on a 35mm film body.</p><div>00WSrn-244183584.thumb.jpg.01b741db7b7b53a255421c005bf5caf8.jpg</div>

<p>I will post some shift photos soon. I took some but used trees as i live in the mountains and we lack high buildings. Unfortunately since the lodgepole pine is not quite vertical it is ahd to see how much correction shift provides. I will be in Chaicao next week and will take some then.</p>

<p>The 35/2 concave is the best 35mm focal length lens I have ever used. I would buy an FD camera just so I could use this lens. I sold it on eBay a few months ago and regretted it (even though I got double what I paid for it). Luckily I found another one a few weeks later to replace it, I won't sell this one.</p>

<p>Hi Everyone<br>

I love this lens too and although mine is pretty yellow the G1 removes the cast via the white balance so it's perfect on the G1 camera.<br>

Philip thanks for posting the 35mm tilt and shift shots - the tilt seems to work well for controlling the plane of focus and I'll look forward to seeing the architectural shots that you're going to take - please post them up.<br>

Also the shot you posted of the flower taken with the 100mm F4 looks great. In theory the small sensor should help with depth of field - have you seen this is practice?.<br>

Thanks everyone once again.<br>

Best regards<br>

David</p>

<p>If anyone is thinking of buying one of these Thorium lenses , I warn you that because they have ten elements and the old metal barrel they are very heavy and weigh more than half a pound, and can be addictive because since I got mine although I have a boatload of FD optics I have rarely since I got mine had it off my camera.</p>

<p>David Macro is easy with the G1 - the smaller sensor does make the DOF much deeper (an effect you can see0. In addition the tiltable LCD is great and the fact the EVF compensates for light levels makes using a stopped down macro lens very easy. Try either the 100 f4 macro or the 50 f3.5. Both work well with or without their extension tubes.</p>