Photo Booth at Reception?

j_g21

<p>At my next wedding I am shooting, they asked for a second shooter. We decided at the reception that we are setting up a photo booth for the guests to enjoy, with an erase board or something for them to write messages, and some sort of back drop. The second shooter will just snap photos of guests.<br>

Does anybody have experience with this sort of thing or have any ideas for me? <br>

Also, this is the first time using a second shooter, any advice on how to make it go as smoothly as possible?<br>

Thank you!</p>

<p>Jessica,<br>

my question is if they asked for a second shooter, did THEY ask for it for the PHOTOBOOTH, or did they ask for it so they have extra coverage of things? Having a second shooter for say one of you getting the bride getting ready and the other covering the groom, one close to the ceremony, one further back with a long lens, getting multiple angles of key events like cake cutting, and depending on the style you are shooting, if photojournalistic, having another fly on the wall to capture special little moments. One thing to note, when you are shooting things liek the dance, make sure you aren't getting in eachother's shots, so standing directly across from eachother is a no no. Try 45 degree angles, etc. If you still end up going with a photobooth, be sure to ask the B&G if they would like to have a list there for people who had their picture taken to sign up their emails so you can send them a link to the gallery with the photos (assuming you are having an online proofing gallery). Only do this if you get the B&G's prior approval.</p>

<p>THey did ask for a second shooter, and I figured the photobooth would be a good idea for the second shooter, since I usually do just fine on my own at the reception and I just didn't want us to get in the way of eachother, and get too many multiple shots. <br>

The bride loved this idea (which I emailed her about). I like the idea of the list... i will definitely ask her. Thank you</p>

<p>We did a photo booth once, actually two photobooths on the same wedding.</p>

<p>What we did was leave a bookmark like card on a table near each booth for the guests to snatch. The cards were longer than a biz card but slight thinner in terms of width. On the front were random pictures of the couple taken from their engagement, I think we had 4 sets of cards (one set one unique front picture). And at the back we had the url of the site where the guests can view the booth pictures. It was a hit and people had fun posing.</p>

<p>To make it simple for the guests, device one set of pose and don't be afraid to demonstrate it for them and then ask them to customize that pose like serious look, pucker up, tongue out and so on. It may start slow as people may tend to shy away from it, so try your best to spot the loud and unshy guest who is willing to be your guinea pig =)</p>

<p>As far as lighting setup, we just kept it simply. we had AB B800s on 13' foot lighstands with 60" white shoot thru umbrellas powered by pws.</p>

<p>Ask the client before showing up with a photobooth. Some clients find them tacky and ugly and don't want them at their wedding. i.e. when DJ's set up backgrounds and they are freaking hideous and the entire bridal party jokes with me about how awful it is. Ask first or you will be talked about behind your back amongst the family. Trust me.<br>

Secondly, The Image Is Found, has an absolutely awesome photobooth setup that we use for our weddings. Check out their "How the F we do it Manual." :)</p>

<p>On the cards vs. list set up. If you have shots of the bride and the groom, maybe that'll make it home with them. If you get their email, assuming they spelled it right, and it doesn't get caught by their spam filters, MUCH higher rate of success. Think about it, you get a card, it goes into your purse or coat pocket, at some point you take it out and you have to type in the URL which sometimes is fairly complicated (highly suggest simplifying those too!). Usually they might try this the day they get home or the next day. After that, it's forgotten. How many of you have an instant turn around time for this? Not very many, as far as I can tell. Now instead you get an email that pops up in your inbox with a link that all they have to do is click on it. You send the link once the photos are up there, that way they aren't needlessly checking the site looking for photos, and getting frustrated when they aren't up yet. </p>

<p>On the 2nd shooter bit, I still wouldn't ONLY use the 2nd shooter for the photobooth. Maybe have it open for some of the event. Maybe at the beginning of the reception as an ice breaker, and more towards the end (if there is alcohol) so people will be more likely to be more fun. If the bride asked for a 2nd shooter, other than the idea you gave her of the photobooth, find out (subtly) why she asked for a 2nd shooter.</p>

<p>We've just started offering a photobooth service, and its always a fun way to get pictures of guests. Anyone who has added on the photobooth has not been disappointed...but they KNEW it was a photobooth. However, I would talk to the couple before, since it sounds like they actually want a 2nd photographer, and not a booth set up. Just assuming a photobooth will work for them could turn out bad if its not what they meant.</p>