I want to go to NY to shoot a wedding - where to advertise?

magnus2

<p>I am a wedding photographer based in Switzerland but would love to go to New York (don't ask why) and shoot a weding there once.<br>

Where is a good place to offer this for future bride and couples?<br>

My style is journalistic with a bit of fashion - this is my latest wedding for example:<br>

magnusbogucki.com/blog/photography/zurichberg</p>

<p>Cheers!</p>

<p>Your best way is to get there via word of mouth. We're in Indiana and we had a session there last year, we have a wedding there this year and we've got another wedding there next year. We didn't advertise once out there. Getting featured, published helps. But just good word of mouth and a good referral network with other photographers will get you out there. Be patient. :)<br>

Just don't waste your money on advertising.</p>

<p>I would say that although your work is nice ( yes, i understand you didn't ask for a critique but this is kind of tied to the question at hand ), there are plenty of photographers in NY that can produce the same results.</p>

<p>Unless you know the couple or offer a significant discount, your travel costs alone will put you out of the market place comparing to the clients hiring a local.</p>

<p>If you just happen to be in NY already, then maybe you have a shot. try advertising at craigslist :)</p>

<p>any other normal places such as a knot and those kind of websites, i doubt you'll get any good results out of them due to your location.</p>

<p>Trying to get a decent shoot in NYC, while living abroad, is a bit pointless without a rep. Find a planner or someone else to represent, market, or even, hire you. Sell yourself as a photographer who travels and shoots in both Switzerland and NYC. Create exclusivity. Make yourself something that Brides will want to brag about. And that's only the beginning...<br>

Personally, I think your best bet would be to find a couple in Switzerland who wants to get married in NYC, especially if you want this to be a one time fling. Like Mark said, there's just too much local talent for a couple, on their own, to bother with the inconviences of hiring a photographer who has to cross the Atlantic to shoot.</p>

<p>Okay, while you're looking for a needle in a haystack, narrow your field a little more. Everyone suggesting finding the couple, then the ones who are going to NYC is a good start.<br>

My suggestion, find the travel agents, event planners in Switzerland and NYC who work a lot with swiss couples, go and find swiss couples who have done what you want, find out who they worked with in the US, or Switzerland. Get in contact with that planner, that venue etc. NYC is a huge place and it would be difficult to generically aim for the whole rather than the specific.</p>

<p>Which leads me to the specific, what do you want to shoot in NYC, the tourist sites? the Park? The streets? (subset of all that is which sites, which park, which streets) Church wedding or some other venue. Not to be to lame here, but you have to be very precise with what you want, then you will find it easier to get. I will say this though...forget Craigs list unless you are planning to pay for the trip yourself and lose money in the process, though the process could be great to learn and experience.<br>

Good luck<br>

Daniel</p>

<p>Thanks for all the feedback guys.<br>

I have heard a lot bad things about Craiglist so prefer to stay away from it. I am not planning to make a profit out of this shoot but do not plan to loose money on it either. Therefore I offer the same package to customers in Switzerland as I offer in NY. With that money I can cover my cost and have some money over for dinner.<br>

Ideally I would like to shoot some classic sites in New York but also be part of an american wedding - they tend to do things in style and big. Would be cool to shoot.<br>

So I was looking for particular sites and forums couple would use ...</p>

<p>like i said, the travel costs makes you pretty much within the same ballpark as any other average wedding photographer in ny.</p>

<p>i didnt check prices, but if you are plannin on breaking even, i'm guessing with tickets, hotels, rentals, and other random stuff, you will have to charge around 2-3k for your services.</p>

<p>unless you have a style that no other photographers in ny has, i don't see brides hiring you when they can also hire locals at the same price, and they get to meet with them in person before, and they'll prob get an engagement session out of the deal at the same time.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>We advertise from NYC to Philly and get a lot of business in Philly and New Jersey and very little (practically none) in NYC. NYC is infested with photographers and many that never used to do weddings have changed their position to fill in the gaps. </p>

<p>Good luck with that.</p>

<p>You might try Craigslist and put the price around $500, even that may not get you anything.</p>

• 2 weeks later...