Take 600 lens to Great Smokey National Park?

william_h._wiley

<p>I'll be in Great Smokey Mountain National Park during the last week in July. I've never been there, but plan to photograph a lot of the waterfalls, scenery, etc. I also do wildlife photography (<a href="http://www.wmwiley.com">www.wmwiley.com</a>) and am wondering if it would be worth it to take my 600 mm lens. Besides the extra weight, there could well be problems transporting the 600 on the plane. We all know that the regs have tightened up considerably. <br>

Is there anything in the Great Smokey NP worth taking the 600 for or should I just concentrate on scenery? I've read that there are black bears, but what else?<br>

Thanks for any info provided. Bill </p>

<p>Bill, there are black bears, white tailed deer and wild turkey on the Cades Cove Loop Road. In addition you will fine Elk at the Cataloochee section. Some of them have tracking collars but many of the large bulls do not. The park service stopped putting collars on some of them several years ago. There will also be song birds at many locations. Be sure to follow the distance from wildlife rules published by the park. The rangers will readily write tickets to violators.</p>

<p>As some who lives fairly close to the park and travels their often...The longest lens I have used there is 200-400 and at times it was too much. The vast numbers of people in the Cades Cove area along with Cataloochee make the big animals (deer, elk, bear) rather in different to people so you can approach to a safe legal distance. The Elk at Cataloochee you could shoot with nothing longer than 100mm at times while they graze in the pasture lands.<br>

Remember it will be hot and humid most likely during your visit- early am and almost dusk is when you should expect to see wildlife.<br>

As for waterfalls, July is probably the least optimum time- rain is scarce and flow is down. Wildflowers may make macro your best bet but it really depends on the amount of rain we have had.<br>

My advice is prepare for wide-angle landscapes 10-30mm, macro lens and then may be one long lens say 100-400 or 70-300.<br>

Good luck!</p>

<div>00WRO9-243377584.thumb.jpg.68d0d56775cadb401acb69110766f321.jpg</div>

<p>I was ther pre-elk. I had a 135 and I believe 300 lenses for my Nikon film bodies. Sorely needed was an 80-200 for mountaintop scenery...stacked mountains. Deer were close and 300 was to long. I would be hesitant to take along a 600 knowing it would be sitting in the trunk most of the time.</p>

<p>Be sure to take a polarizing and neutral density filters. Likely, graduated neutral density filter would be useful for the mountaintop.</p>

<p>William, I would bring the 600mm. Hundreds of deer at Cades Cove jumping the fence at day break from the field into the forest. Black bear through out the park and now elk. So interesting to see elk. My father was a forest ecologist at UT and one of his grad students in the early 1970s wanted to work on reintroduction of elk into the Smokey's for his disertation proposal. It was turned down then but now its realized. I would go fully equiped but if I absolutely had to leave gear behind it would likely be the long lens. I carry a 500mm that is much easier to pack as a carry on. Good hunting. Andy</p>

<p>I have been to the Smokies dozens of times - it's a must see whenever I'm in East Tennessee. In all that time, I've had my 70-200 deployed no more than 3 or 4 times. I can't imagine what I'd use a 600 for.</p>

<p>The deer in Cades Cove are so accustomed to humans that you couldn't shoo them away with a stick. I've seen them grazing at a fence line and approached within 10 feet. This Spring, a wild turkey walked across the road about 50 feet from where I was standing. (Where hunted, turkeys will spook if you get within 300 yards.) You can get pretty close to black bear too, but I wouldn't advise it.</p>

<p>The Smokies are best approached with wide angle to medium telephoto lenses. You can "stack" mountains more effectively at 90mm than even 200mm. On the trail, you can't see more than 50 yards, usually much less, with only rare glimpses of the next mountain. The essence of the Smokies is found in the trees, rocks and (especially) water.</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry about carrying a big lens on a plane, as long as it will fit in a storage compartment. Tripods might be tricky, particularly one big enough to do what it's supposed to do. I put mine in checked baggage, but the head goes in my camera bag.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the great responses - just what this website is all about. Although I'm always inclined to take my big lens, sounds like this might be a time to forego it and travel a little lighter. Not quite like my usual haunts of Yellowstone. <br>

Great picture, Chris, too bad for the collar and tag. And Edward (Woods), I respect your thoughts, but considering I already have lots of elk shots and big bears, I'll let this one go).<br>

Thanks again, Bill</p>

<p>I just returned this morning from a visit to see the elk at Cataloochee. Because I spend my summers 15 miles from Cataloochee I usually have my 600 in the car. I did use it this morning on some turkeys on the other side of a field but I also took photos of a bull elk out the car window with an 18-200 that was less than 15 feet away.<br>

Because of the hassle you can probably leave the 600 home and fill up several cards with other lens. An 80-200 2.8 with a 1.4 and a macro diopter and a polarizer and a tripod should cover 80% of what you need/want. FYI they are still putting collars and ear tags on the elk so it's tough to get a "wild" shot.<br>

Larry</p>

<p>It depends where you're going in the park, Bill, and how you like to shoot.</p>

<p>You can find a use for everything there - I've used everything from macro to a 500mm. While a lot of scenery lends itself to the shorter lenses, there are some things (like Meigs Falls) where you can't approach on foot and need some length unless you're happy with a small-speck waterfall. (I actually shoot both.) And of course, bears should be shot from a distance.</p>