travel camera insurance

emma_taube

<p>Hello! I'm planning a big trip to Europe, Turkey, and Morocco this summer, and as an avid amateur there's no way I'm not taking my camera and therefore laptop. However, they cost a lot and I'm very worried about something happening to them. Does anyone know about any good insurance options where I wouldn't have to buy all-inclusive coverage, rather JUST for my electronics? And that doesn't have a $500/$1000 value limit? (They're worth more than $2000..) Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :]</p>

<p>What we do, which some people warn against, is to have a rider attached to our homeowner's insurance for the photographic and electronic equipment. A similar rider can be attached to renter's insurance. The riders can be written to cover theft or other loss away from home. Before I owned a house, I found the renter's insurance, with the rider, the most economical way to cover my stuff. It is only appropriate for amateur photographers.<br>

The concern that has been expressed in other threads about these riders is that an insurance company may drop your homeowner's insurance if you have a claim. Another possibility is getting equipment insurance through photo.net. You should compare coverage to see if that is suitable for you.</p>

<p>Not sure if your insurance will cover foreign countries, or they could refuse to pay, once they know where you lost it, unless it is defined in your coverage.</p>

<p>I would suggest to take minimum number of lenses, and have them with you all the time, possibly in a suitable backpack of size that will be allowed on-board of all airlines. Even hotel rooms may not be safe to leave expensive equipment. </p>

<p>Unless you have business need, I would leave laptop at home, and get enough large capacity memory cards that would last for the period of stay abroad. You coud always burn a data DVD in capitol cities and larger cities, and thus release memory for reuse. Having stolen laptops from hotel, I use iTouch to get my email, and leave laptop at home. Aftarall if traveling for pleasure, no heavy computer work planned.</p>

<p>There are companies (I know of one called E&L insurance in the UK, but search into any photography magazine and chances are you'll find more listings - that's where I found those guys) which will insure only your gear and they do offer international cover. You may surprised by how much the premiums are however - they are not cheap. But they do not have waivers (the llimit you mentioned) and, from a friend's experience, they pay relatively quickly and painlessly.</p>

<p>Also, you could Google the term "camera insurance" and you'll get more than enough listings...;-)))</p>

<p>I added an "Inland Marine" rider on my homeowners insurance from State Farm. It covered my stuff for all eventualities including misadventure (ie, you drop it and it breaks), and coverage was international. Just ask all the questions. I did have a claim, and it was paid up immediately without problems. My homeowners policy was not cancelled nor was the premium increased.<br>

Louise</p>

<p>I have a policy from State Farm called something like a "personal items" insurance policy. It pays complete replacement value. Cost has gone up considerably during the last year, however. I've never filed a claim. It gives me great peace of mind. Who knows how much hassle it would be to get reimbursed for a theft overseas. You'd certainly want to get a police report. Worth checking out. It's not tied to my household policy with State Farm at all. </p>

<p>On the flip side is one can have all of the policies mentioned above and still no collect a dime; after 4 1/2 years. Thus the peace of mind becomes more like a con; swindle; hassle; waiting game; one of lawsuites. This is with a loss at ones own home. Now you add an overseas loss; dealing with teh read tape; waiting.</p>

<p> Do not assume anything. Get it in writting. The folks you deal with in a claim are not your kind check taking friend. You deal with cold claims folks; their main goal is to settle with little cost; even zero. They are a business; costs matter. They need many folks writting checks; feeling good; and they need little if any claims paid.</p>

<p>With a claim they can void or reduce payout for a zillion fine print weasel words. They can give you the lessor of what is covered. Thus if you are covered by the same company and pay for the extra policy; the 1st policy can force limits in coverage. A policy can sometimes be void if the stuff is used professionally. It might pay only what they think it is worth based on a table that is so low one cannot buy another dented one on ebay.</p>

<p>Companies may call you up after a loss say they are your buddy and are sending out a check to help you out. One the back side of the check it has small wording that if you sign and cash it you agree to lessor coverage; or this is it; or not to sue. If they pay a big claim your rates can go up or they drop you; or both. If the claims office is right next door thay can have you dealing with one 1000 miles away just to grind you down and settle at a lessor claim. For a working person the cliams process can be a major time sink hole.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have the same personal "personal items" insurance policy from State Farm Larry mentioned. I was very careful when I got to make sure the items would be covered world wide, as I basically live on the road. I have filed a claim, when my laptop got stolen in India. I got the money in about two weeks for the full amount I bought it for a year and a half earlier. I was shocked how smoothly every thing went, did everything over email from India too. This was even after the official police record had to say I "lost" my laptop because they don't want to admit that a foreigner actually had a crime against them since it looks bad on there stats. Very economical way to insure your camera gear, I pay about 1-2% of the total insured value a year, and my premiums haven't really gone up since the claim.</p>