Bright focusing screens

ingemar_lampa1

<p>Hi All Hasselblad fans.<br>

I just thought I'd share with you my views on a 3rd party focusing screen I just bought.<br>

I recently decided to get back in to MF and bought a Hasseblad outfit (actually from a fellow member here) and although the kit was/is in excellent shape, one thing that was annoying me was that the focusing screen was hopelesly dark, especially when using the 50mm or 40mm Distagons. Not having used a Blad before, I have no point of reference, but surely it shouldn't be that bad.<br>

The body I bought is a "late" 500 C, which has the same quick release system for changing the screns as the 500 C/M. It came with two screens, the original cross-hair one which was damaged and a later, slightly brighter one w. a centre microprism. The later one may be an early Acute matte, I'm not sure, but certainly not a "D" because it lacks the two indentations in the metal frame around it.<br>

So, the option, it would seem, would be to get an Acute matte D. However, as we all know, those still command quite a price, even 2nd hand. Anywhere between US$125 to $250, depending on shape, if they have a microprism or not, etc. on "Fleabay".<br>

Then I found a seller on Ebay from Ukraine (!) selling "bright replacement screens" originally for the Kiev 88, but which will fit a Hasselblad as well, with some mods. Price: US$11 - free shipping anywhere in the world. In my experience "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" so as I think the majority here, I had reservations about a) the product and its quality. It said "optical plastic". and b) about doing monetary transactions with that part of the world.<br>

After some pondering, I thought I'd give it a go anyway, since payment would be using Paypal and in the worst case, I'd say goodbye to only $11. My suspicions were even stronger, when after placing the order, I got an invoice stating I had to use some service called CCnow as an intermediary. I almost cancelled the order. I am glad I didn't.<br>

One day after I paid, I got an email stating that the screen had been shipped. It arrived at my place one week later. Mounting it involved re-using the original Hasselblad metal screen frame by carefully bending it apart, taking out the original screen and putting the "Kiev" screen in the frame. I had no regrets doing that on the original, as I was never planning to use it anymore. On older screens, the metal frame is actually spot-welded (!) in place, but gently prying it apart with a small screwdriver worked without damaging the frame. Later screens have the frame bent over the "inner" frame.<br>

What a surprise when installed ! The screen is extremely bright, has both a microprism and a fresnel ring around the centre, plus thin guide-lines, which I like. I am extremely happy with this screen.<br>

So for US$11, you can't go wrong, in my mind.<br>

Please note that I have no interest vested in this person, company or their business. Just want to inform everyone about a very reasonable bright focusing screen alternative that certainly worked for me.<br>

Search for "fresnel focusing screen" or the company name "DVD Technik" on Ebay and you should find them.<br>

Happy shooting.<br>

IL</p>

<p>Ingemar,<br>

Good to think that you took the time out to tell us. Personally all my screens are Acutematte D's - but might give one of these a go in an old frame. One question which others might be thinking of asking. Is the image sharp on film? That is - is focus correct for the film plane?</p>

<p>Paul,</p>

<p>Happy if i am able to offer any useful views, newbie to Hasselblad as I am.</p>

<p>As to your question, it sure looks fine on film as well, at least to me. I suppose it all comes down to mounting height in the old frame then in the body, but compared with the original, it can not differ more than a few thou, if even that. Both screens seem to be of the same thickness, more or less. But I haven't measured.</p>

<p>I wouldn't be able to tell, since I never had an Acute matte D myself. But for $11-30, depending on what your poison is, not a big deal in finding it out.</p>

<p>I also noticed that the glass screen is slightly thinner and different dimensions (not square) to the plastic one. Not sure if it will fit inside the square original frame.</p>

<p>Darn it! Now you made me want to spend another $30...:)</p>

<p>Bright screens often achieve their brightness by sacrificing contrast. Since the human eye relies on contrast for focus accuracy, this can be a mixed blessing.</p>

<p>Some years go I bought a Britescreen or an Intenscreen (can't recall which) for one of my Bronica ETRS bodies (I own several). Then and now I couldn't see any difference.</p>

<p>OTOH I've held Hasselblad bodies with the same lens side by side and their Acute Matte screens are excellent.</p>

<p>I've been told Maxwell Precision Optics makes great screens, but I have no firsthand knowledge.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I just swapped out the "stock" screen for an Acute Matte D on my 500CM, and honestly, I am not seeing a whole lot oof difference. Then again, I have a yellow filter on, as I have been shooting with Tri-X 400 speed B&W film. People rave about this screen, but I am not seeing what the big deal about it is.</p>

<p>Perhaps a stupid question, but are you sure it is a D screen (the one with the two cutouts in the metal frame)? The reason I am asking is that there are a lot of people and even businesses selling non D screens, as if they were - sometimes even in the correct box, either willingly or unknowingly branding them as D.</p>

<p>As I said, I never had one myself, so I can't judge the improvement if any. Just know that the Kiev screen worked wonders for me.</p>

<p>What would constitue a dramatic difference is, of course, open to debate.<br>

The difference between an Acute Matte screen and an old style screen (and an impartial meter prism will confirm this) is 1 stop.<br>

If you want to see how much or little that is, just manually stop down the lens, and change from whatever aperture happens to be set to an aperture one stop smaller or larger.</p>

<p>Having filters on the lens does not make a difference to this difference.</p>