has anyone used "low contrast" filters?

terencekearns_com

<p>I'm looking at purchasing the Lee filter system and I noticed one of their filters was for "low contrast"<br>

Appatently these colourless filters have a slight white opacity.<br>

I imagine that this would compress the dynamic range somewhat - which would be great when shooting in harsh light. I wonder if it is not the digital darkroom equivalent of raising the "brightness" on an image, whereby a gap is left on the left of the histogram.</p>

<p>Well, there are "diffusion filters" and there are diffusion filters, if you follow me. I don't know specifically how the Lee filters work, but most diffusion filters have something like a slightly 'ground' texture that actually scatters light a little before it gets to the lens. Filters differ in how much of the surface is diffuse, some have a clear spot, still others have a 'water-drop-like' surface that scatters the light differently. Others have perforated edges around a clear center. The effect ranges from 'diffusion' in the strict sense to 'soft focus' which is technically another effect caused by aberrations in the lens, rather than surface texture.</p>

<p>The effect can also be achieved in the classic way by taking a clear filter and smearing 'Vaseline™'* on the surface around the edges. Other people use a filter holder and put a piece of nylon stocking in front of the lens, or a screen, or... well you get the idea.<br>

In any case, overexposure and flare can have similar effects, but the causes are a little different. Because the light is actually diffused before reaching the surface of the lens, post-processing measures often mimic the effect rather poorly, and often with much more trouble than just using the filter when taking the picture in the first place. This is especially true of soft focus, but even a little for pure diffusion itself.<br>

______<br>

*I've long wondered about why people use petroleum jelly rather than a water-based lubricant like the one your doctor uses during your annual exam (males only). The latter will dry but can be easily washed off when done.</p>

<p>It occurs to me that if you want to see diffusion filters at work, watch any of Doris Day's* later pictures. She was never photographed close up without diffusion or soft focus of some kind.<br /> If Nick channel or other 'retro' channels ever run episodes of the old series, <em>Hawaii-Five-O,</em> you can see the same thing in all shots of the star, Jack Lord.<br>

___________<br>

*born Doris Mary Ann von Kappelhoff</p>

<p>Thanks for the perspective and explanations.<br>

It never occurred to me that a slight white opacity would necessarily have to be "diffusion", but I guess there is a good chance that it does.<br>

I reckon with this type of thing, one will have to suck it and see. I little expensive with Lee Filters, but I'm sure that whatever it does, it will be worth doing more than once.<br>

My main interest at present is for landscape photography in bright/direct sunshine, but I will always find other uses for it.<br>

In terms of post processing equivalents of diffuse, I find a negative setting on the "Clarify" slider in Lightroom quite effective as a quick'n'dirty solution. As an aside, I often use it with the Adjustment Brush to diffuse specular highlights (from direct fill-flash).</p>

<p>Are they talking about using this filter for pre-exposure? That technique is used to reduce the contrast of film for harsh light. Or maybe it creates a lot of flare that does the same thing. The flare causes pre-exposure of the shadows and that opens them up. Downside is you will lose some shadow contrast. The small pre-exposure or flare has little effect on higher tones.</p>

<p>I'm not sure, but I think I will jump in an purchase this filter just to try it out since I am very keen to use something that can compress the dynamic range before capturing to chip (I use digital).<br>

I think in this situation, the value of speculation is limited and I will just have to see. I am somewhat disappointed at the lack of depth in some of the descriptions for their products. I would like to have seen some before/after for this filter.</p>

<p>Check this out. The Tiffen "Ultra Contrast" filter...<br>

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=filters&itemnum=44UC5<br>

Here is a supposed before-after shot<br>

http://tiffenfilters.com.au/contrast-c-3.html<br>

You know it's always easy to put contrast back in with the digital darkroom in post-processing, so I am think that this makes a lot of sense to use.</p>