Head for a Gitzo 3551 monopod with Canon 7D + Canon 300f 2.8 ?

jiti_chadha

<p>You need nothing more than a swivel for azimuth control. The lens is supported by its collar, and the camera can be rotated freely. See <a href="http://www.reallyrightstuff.com">www.reallyrightstuff.com</a> for suggestions. Avoid anything with handles and multiple degrees of freedom. At worst, I'd consider a small ball head with a single control lever (q.v., Bogen/Manfrotto).</p>

<p>Thanks for a quick reply, Edward.<br>

reallyrightstuff seems to be pretty expensive. Any suggestions among Bogen/Manfrotto - which would be the best models.<br>

Any other makes/models providing 'swivel for azimuth control'<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>You could probably get by with RRS' "low capacity" solution. Then you'd only need a clamp and plate for the lens. If you're not using Arca-type QR now, this is a good excuse to start. Compared to a $4000 lens, it doesn't seem like much.</p>

<p>The <a href="http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=MH-01-Pro&eq=MH-01-Pro-001&Tp=">RRS head of the type suggested above</a> is not expensive (about $230) <em>for the lens you are planning to put on it</em>. The <a href="http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2375">Manfrotto 234 head</a>, which swivels in a similar way, is only rated at about 6 lbs., or 2.7 kg. The 234 seems too solid for such a low rating, but do you want to be the one to find out?</p>

<p>Since RRS seems to be most peoples favourite, I've identified two models</p>

<p>(1)MH-01 monopod head<br>

(2)BH-40<br>

Any suggestions which would suit me better.<br>

And also, what else do I need to buy with either of these - any plates or any other stuff?<br>

One suggestion is to replace the foot on my 300mm. How does that work?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>I would avoid using a ball head on a monopod. Get the HD swivel instead.</p>

<p>When you loosen the ball head it will flop sideways under the weight of the lens, and you will continually be trying to straighten it out. The swivel will stay straight, even when loosened, allowing you to tilt up or down without slipping sideways. You will probably keep it only partially tightened, because the monopod is there for support, not stability.</p>

<p>You can get by with a plate which attaches to the existing foot. If RRS makes a replacement foot for your lens, it will have a lower profile than the combination, for better stability when you need it (e.g., on a tripod). I have an RRS foot on three Nikkor lenses for that reason.</p>

<p>

<p>What about a tilt head with a hexagonal quick release plate that can probably be had for less than half the price of the RSS. I'm sure Manfrotto makes those.<br>

Or of course an Arca Swiss style plate on a Wimberly head.</p>

<br>

What I would need are model numbers.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>It gets awkward to manage a camera, heavy lens, monopod and head with an handle all at once. Unless you put the handle forward, it jabs you in the throat. Most tilt heads have two, possibly three handles, which makes the problem even worse.</p>

<p>On the other hand, why don't you make the same mistakes the rest of us have done. Then in a couple of years, with a drawer full of ineffective solutions, you can give a terse, somewhat cynical reply to the next person with the same questions ;-)</p>