35mm will they stop processing it soon?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I think of it this way, although I could be wrong. I imagine more people shoot film than use other art supplies like oil paints and drawing charcoal yet those thing are still available. My guess is it will be available for some time to come although probably only from one or two places in a medium sized city. Hopefully young people will rediscover film at some point. I enjoy the ease of digital but I also find it dull to shoot and deal with on a PC. I actually find the whole digital takeover of everything rather dull and lifeless but I'm in the minority on this. I was born too late I guess.</p>

<p>To you guys that say you'll get out of photography when film dies for good.....I don't get you....Isn't it about the picture?!? The composition? Perhaps for you types, the Journey is Half the Reward....I thin Steven Jobs said that....the irony is he's a digital head...lol</p>

<p>"Why is it that people think depreciation is money lost? When facilities are fully depreciated you no longer can deduct their cost from your gross receipts. In other words, your manufacturing cost goes up."</p>

<p>I never said that, Edward, and I certainly know the difference. The tax shield disappears when an asset is fully depreciated. But that's not the point. The point is that the film manufacturing line is a specialized asset - you can't sell it to produce something else. So the best option is to continue to run it because the economics are better than scrapping it.</p>

<p>I'm fluent in sunk costs, too.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>To you guys that say you'll get out of photography when film dies for good.....I don't get you....Isn't it about the picture?!? The composition? Perhaps for you types, the Journey is Half the Reward....I thin Steven Jobs said that....the irony is he's a digital head...lol</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I can't speak for others of "us types" (?) but for me it's not just that the journey is half the reward. Part of the fun is that in photography there's almost inevitably many ways and many types of kit that can produce similarly exciting photographs.</p>

<p>Using various brands and models of 35mm equipment is part of the fun & challenge, lets me find out for myself how significant (and trivial) differences can be in functions, ergonomics, layout and feel - and also helps keep me from falling into the trap of assuming there really is only one "best" technology/body/lens/brand that will supposedly cure all my photo ills if I only fork over enough $$, rather than accepting that this photographer is invariably much more limited than his tools.</p>

<p>By the way, Steve may well have said it but he's no oracle of unwavering originality, as far as<a href="http://www.worldofquotes.com/topic/journey/index.html"> this part of the web</a> thinks it goes back to a chinese proverb - probably from waaay back before digital :)</p>

<p>There's a major difference. With your digital cameras, the camera device itself is the medium. You buy it, with hundreds if not a few thousand dollars, and that's what you have. Your satisfaction with the purchase only lasts about 3 months at the most. It's really just a computer which is roughly shaped like a 35 mm camera. With a real 35mm camera, I have a box with a lens attached to it. It's just a holder for the film - and the film is the real medium. Every time I decide to use it, I have the fun of using whatever film I want to use, for whatever effect. The end result may be the same if you just consider it as ending up with an image, but for me, it's just as much about the way of getting there as it is about the image. There are billions of images, millions of new ones every day, all basically looking much like the others that came before.</p>

<p>As you get older, you realize that what really matters in life is the journey, not the destination. There's no lasting pleasure or memories in a destination arrived at too easily. It's the same with digital imaging. Even though I prefer film, I can whip up some pretty nice digital images too, but, so what, there's little satisfaction with that. It's too easy. This is why I very much doubt I would remain with photography if for some reason, film was totally dead.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>yes bravo pierre you expressed so eloquently what many of us feels.<br>

some of you guys ar procesing color negatives at home, would you be kind enough to post one of your favorit scan?<br>

I am curious to see<br>

rgds</p>

<p><em>You buy it, with hundreds if not a few thousand dollars, and that's what you have. Your satisfaction with the purchase only lasts about 3 months at the most. </em><br>

<em> </em><br>

Great observation. Is this based on market research, or are you clairvoyant?</p>

<p>No Pierre, a DSLR is not the medium. It is like a film camera, in that it captures the light but instead of recording it on film, it records it on a flash card. Many shooters don't realize this, but a digital camera's sensor is an analog device. Both film and digital cameras capture the light in analog, not digital.</p>

<p>Pierre, you wrote that as we get older and older, the journey matters more then the destination. Granted, but what you also forgot was that as we age, we get more subjective, we idealize, we romanticize, and lose sight of the prime-directive: </p>

<p>The Print!</p>

<blockquote>One of my local drugstores pulled their last minilab out - they just kept their Frontier machine for the old people (those over 40) who like printouts. The younger folks want digital images on their webpages (Facebook) - film just complicates things and adds too much cost.<br /></blockquote>

<p>Interesting...I live in Charlotte, NC and EVERY CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc. still have their C-41 processors. They also PRINT volumes, and not just to those ancient "over 40" types.</p>

<p>Suart Moxham:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Digital modeling of guitar amps. AXE FX is supposed rather good Dan.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>and why would i want to simulate what a tube amp sounds like, when i could just go and buy one? wait, that sounds like my rationale for film too... i dont want to hear what i think an engineer thinks a tube amp sounds like, i want to hear what a tube amp sounds...<br>

<br /><br /><br>

Andrew Lynn</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sure, there's not as much R&D as there used to be in those fields (except sailing) but Technics is still updating the SL1200 (MK6 version 2 years ago) and Kodak introduces new film. TMax got an update recently, Ektar is pretty new and pretty excellent and if they keep letting movie film trickle down we'll get a version of the Vision 3 films which look pretty spectacular.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Agreed, but a link to Kodak's 10k report showed that their R&D is about half, in 2009, of what it was in 2007. i dont actually follow record players, i simply just like them. my brother currently has ours from when we moved a few years ago, will hopefully be getting that back next week... It sure would be nice if someone would exactly replicate the RCA tubes though, there are a few people making tubes, and a few more rebranding them, but its generally accepted that they are not on the same level as RCA at all, both in sound and longevity... It'd be nice if Kodak keeps introducing new films, but i have a hard time justifying buying their films anyway... for all i know by the time i get to learn its character they'll cut it. again.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Digital modeling of guitar amps. AXE FX is supposed rather good Dan.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>and why would i want to simulate what a tube amp sounds like, when i could just go and buy one?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am a guitarist who also builds valve (tube) audio equipment. Logically I should use a valve amplifier of my own construction but I don't. I have a Line 6 mdelling amplifier... and it's very good!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A good use for digital modeling is playing at home. My old 5 watt tube amp was much too loud to crank up and play at home. With other people in the house it was not possible to get the best from the amp. Another use would be recording. The guitar can be recored dry and then the guiarist and sound engineer can find a good tone that sits well in the mix. Reamping is another option of course. I like tube amps and digital modeling as much as I like film and digtal photography but neither options are perfect and both can be used to produce good results.</p>

<p>There are clear signs that film is becomming a specialty product. I am familiar with Walmarts and will use them as an example. Walmart has not renewed the contract with Fuji for the wet lab (film processing) machines. They are all being removed in every store. The few stores that still have them are reporting they do less than 20 rolls per day. Thirty is considered break-even. There will still be places around most medium and large cities that will do one hour processing, but they will become fewer and the machinery is getting older and older. Ten years ago Walmart had about 24 ft. of film (six 4 foot sections) in most high volume supercenters. They even carried three or four skus of slide film, three choices of b&w, and so on. Today they only carry about half a 4 ft. section of film, and now only carry Fuji print film (200, 400, 800). I would guess that Walmart sales were about a quarter of Kodak's consumer film sales. Walmart has continued the Fuji TruColor processing service (out source), but the pickup and delivery schedule is no longer daily. And, the distances the film is shipped to have dramatically increased as TruColor labs have closed. (I used to work at a TruColor volume lab.)<br>

Film will still be around but I see choices continuing to narrow. I also don't see all film processing ended, but do worry that no new machinery will ever be built in our lifetime. I still shoot some 4x5, and have just bought a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye to play with. It shoots 120. Mostly I shoot digital though.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>There is something nice though when shooting with a old manual metal bodied SLR like an FM2. I always enjoy the viewfinder of my FM2 compared to my D1h and my D80. I have been using my FM2 quite alot lately and was quite supprised today when I used my DSLRs straight after using the FM2 just how much I really like using the FM2.</p>

<p>35mm will be around for a very long time. Some labs charge more then Wallmart but that is expected. Don't worry about it and just go shoot and have fun. Fuji Superia is a very popular low cost film. </p>

<p>Sometimes I worry more about the Cameras than the film. Nikon only lists the simple FM10 or the very high end F6 film cameras. There are no more midrange cameras like the N80 that was a great camera. I have an F5, N80 and N75 so I am good for a while.</p>

I shoot film and digital. I enjoy both formats but I must say if film becomes to difficult then I will just shoot digital. I have no problem with that at all. From a consumer standpoint that means people will not sell me much as I do not upgrade or have a need for any gear. Most of the money I spend in photography is on film and processing.