Nikon AF-s DX VR Zoom 55-200 f/4-5.6G IF-ED

john_nolan4

<p>Hi, i just got this brand new lens as a gift.what is its best purpose? How does it compare 2 other similar lens (Tamron,Sigma,etc)...is it worth the money(like $275 i think)and what is this black round shell like adapater that came with it in the box? thanks 4 all you guys help! I'd be lost without this forum!</p>

<p>The black "thing" is the lenshood. Tamron, Sigma, etc., -- which lens are you going to compare your AF-S 55-200mm VR Nikkor lens against? Tamron and Sigma make a lot of lenses.</p>

<p>If you can find a set of close-up lenses (filters) in the 52mm size, you can make your lens shoot some decent flower images, if you like close up photos.</p>

<p> </p>

I carry extension tubes with me and use this lens for everything; product shots, landscapes, and macro, I'm very cheap like

that. It's not a particularly fast lens (both in terms of widest aperture and auto-focus speed), but if you can take time over

your shots it works fine.

<p>I've had this lens for several years now. On my Fuji S2 it performs <em>well</em> above it's price point. I use it for walk-around and garden photography. Wide open at 200mm at about 6-7 feet it produces a particularly nice background with the subject sharpness adequate. Stopped down at shorter focal lengths and set anywhere from 55 to 135mm it is quite sharp. Combined with the Canon 52mm two element close up lenses (I have the 450 and the 240 earlier versions) it produces extreme close-ups that amaze me. The plastic construction might put you off at first, but that's the reason it is an ultra-light lens. Having lugged around a 70-210 f/4-5.6 Nikkor prior to getting this lens I have come to appreciate the difference. To protect the plastic lens mount, get some KEL pure silicone, spray the silicone on a paper towel or soft cloth and wipe down the lens mount where it bears against the camera. (<em>Never</em> spray directly onto the mount, you don't want the silicone on the rear element, just the mount).</p>

<p>This is a very good consumer tele zoom especially for its price. It has a lot of uses. The most common would be to bring far away subjects closer and for portraits. I assume by your question that you are new to DSLR photography. There is a lot to learn if you want to get the most from your camera. I suggest that you get a good basic photo book. I like any of several by John Hedgecoe and the new Guide by Bryan Peterson. Also read the manual that came with the camera. You can also get the Magic Lantern Guide to your camera. They are usually better than the manual.</p>

<p>John, awfully obvious, but the best way to find out what it does is to put it on a camera and use it. Telelenses have a wide range of uses, some already listed above. Simply said: where a normal lens (for example, the 18-55 that comes with most DLSRs) shows an entire room, this lens can be used to make a portrait from the same position; most people would say "it brings distant objects closer".</p>

<p>Enjoy the lens, it will have plenty of uses and finding out which are the ones for you is all part of the fun ;-)</p>

<p>Pop Photo called it the bargain of the year. Not only that, but it's small and light. A good partner for the 17-55mm or 18-70mm kit lenses. I often carry it in my bag if I'm not packing something better in that range. Results are very good.</p>

<p>Thank the person who gave it to you.</p>