Identifying a Sinar P 8x10

peter_f

<p>Hi I hope someone can help. I have the opportunity to purchase a Sinar P 8x10. I don't have any hands-on experience of such a model, and hence just wanted to garner some opinions before I did so. <br>

It's being advertised as a Sinar p 8x10 and comes with a 300mm lens. Advertised for £900 (GBP). No other accessories. <br>

Does that sound like a good deal? And is the item in the photo what it purports to be? And finally - a good purchase? Is 8x10 film etc still available?<br>

Regards<br>

P</p><div>00WPfK-242351684.jpg.e1e88654e34f83ce6708b05548f88543.jpg</div>

<p>I'd check the bellows thoroughly for pinholes. Bring a flashlight where you can unscrew the lens and have just a bare bulb, then check it in a dark room by putting the flashlight inside the bellows. The corners are the most likely place for leaks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Robert, Sheldon & Laurence<br>

Thank you very much for your advice. I will check the bellows & it looks like the lens is a Rodenstock Sironar 300mm f5.6 & Compur No.3 shutter. <br>

Good to see the film is still available. If rather pricey(!)</p>

<p>Nobody mentioned but if you going to use this out on the field than I hope you are well trained as it weights a lot. The lens is good and just check the bellows very well. However I think the price a bit high try to negotiate a little. Film is all around but you going to need some holders a dark cloth, tripod and a lightmeter and than you are in business.</p>

<p>The film might be pricey but you dont had to take a shut on everything. It's like more of the deciding "does it worth it"? Like what I mean is when you are out and see something just stay with it for a while do a set up and just think for a while and ask yourself if you really like the image which you see in the front of you. And if you are not sure than dont shut. I can go out sometimes with 5 holders and stay all day long and coming back with 4 of them unexposed. If you are selective you might find your film is lasting longer won't cost that much and the quality of your work would be ecxellent.</p>

<p>freestyle photo has 8x10 film at a good price. the color stuff is only about $3 per picture (it comes in a 50 pack)<br>

the 8x10 film rarely seems to come in a small pack, like only 25 sheets which is common for 4x5.<br>

shop around-freestyle does have good prices and they do have a lot of choices for 8x10.<br>

here is a partial list:<br>

kodak tri-x pan (400), kodak t-max 100, kodak t-max 400, efke classic B&W (25, 50, and 100), efke ortho 25<br>

and in color:<br>

kodak portra 160VC, kodak portra 400NC<br>

freestylephoto.biz<br>

i've had good luck with their stuff. got some arista ultra edu 200 speed 4x5 film. good stuff.</p>