Client editing their own images?

j_g21

<p>Selling just the Raw files frustrates many end users; often they cannot open them; thus if you are cocky they have others (me) open them and make radically more user friendly Jpeg's.</p>

<p>For the lay end user the Raw input can confuse many folks too; is often like a weird negative they have to deal with.</p>

<p>Here it is shocking to have a disc from the Grandparents that has only Raw files on it; and the old folks do not know what to do with it. ie "We tried the disc at Walmart and it did not work":)</p>

<p>***Most folks really do not want raw files; they want good lightly compressed Jpegs ; ie they do NOT really want to fart around with raw conversions.<br>

Folks do not want autorun disc's either that install programs </p>

<p>From a pure business standpoint all these modern CD's/DVD's are like the 1960's 1970's equalivalent of giving all ones MF and 4x5(formals) negatives away.</p>

<p>****Strive to think about what you are really selling; for once you give MOB the CD in Seattle; copies of it can show up in LA at Grandparents computer or house; all shot by uncle Bob.</p>

<p>We printers have to deal with this mess; disorganized disc; all raw files; unknown shooter; grandma does not own a computer; or know a Pixel from a Jpeg. It really is no fun to figure out a mess; or hear whining about why there is no contact sheet. </p>

<p>Grandma really just want prints; that the sub 500 bucks shooter could not provide.</p>

<p>You should never give the RAW images without the full-resolution JPGs, but I give them an archival copy of the RAW images (converted to DNG) and say "make a backup copy of this, and put it someplace safe, you might want these someday." Either way, I want them to be responsible for keeping a set of the "negatives" around in case I die or something and they end up wanting those RAW files.</p>

<p>From a pure business standpoint, back in the day when there was only one copy of the negative you didn't have to give away the negative, and people could sell prints on the backend. That doesn't resonate today, nor should it. If you're shooting well enough to charge money, your JPGs should have adequately correct color that you could take them to the absolute worst lab in town (which is where they will take them if they get the files) and still get decent (albeit perhaps not optimal) print results.</p>

<p>I don't care if the images make it down to Grandma. Why else would they buy the DVD. I don't care if some old man claims my work. He's a liar, and affects my business--how much--zero. Grandma isn't out getting me referrals, that's the province of the B&G. I don't deliver disorganized discs. I have a disc of JPGs and a disc of RAW, and I tell them RAW is for archival purposes only. I'm not particularly worried about the losing the profiles to read those photos. If there's enough interest in extracting that data, then options will exist.</p>

<p>Honestly, it's fine you want to preach about why you shouldn't give away the RAW images, you have most of p.net here to back you up, but that doesn't make it the only possible valid opinion or option. This is from someone who makes a bona-fide living off wedding photography. I'm no weekend warrior.</p>

<p >After reading all the posts I still don't see why your clients would want the un-touched files if there would be no price discount. You are giving them digital format files on CD anyway. They don't like your finished products or what? If not they won't hire you at first place, maybe they are confused?. Some posters are talking about RAW vs JPG, that's not what OP meant, I don't thinks so at least. It's about finished vs. unfinished products</p>

<p>Maybe you should ask to see a sample of the guy's work and go from there. If he's a professional graphic artist and will make your shots look fantastic, then save yourself the time and trouble of editing all of the images and let him do it. You could provide a handful of edited JPGs just so they have some sample of your work to show around.<br>

If he isn't pro or overprocesses with cheesy effects, then just say, 'No, sorry.' Though, you have to know that he'll just apply those cheesy effects anyway once he gets the high-res JPGs, despite what your reprint license says about the Client not altering images.</p>

<p><em><strong>despite what your reprint license says about the Client not altering images</strong></em></p>

<p>what? Do people actually make contracts that say the client cannot alter the images? If I pay a custom cabinetmaker to create beautiful polished Oak cabinets and install them in my home, and then I decide to paint them white with cheap acrylic paint is he going to send his goons to my house to beat me up? Sure it's ugly, and maybe it even reflects poorly on him, but being this uptight will lose you more customers than your reputation will gain.</p>