Experiences with Samsung NX-10?

divo

<p>Last week I visited the Photo and Imaging Show in Seoul. One of the most interesting new products (for me) was the Samsung NX-10 addition to the ranks of the micro four thirds cameras. All in all it seemed like a pretty well-built little unit, and I preferred the ergonomics and menu layout to both the Lumix and the Olympus Pen varieties. I played with all of them a bit and found it to be the most intuitive coming from a Canon 5D. This was also my first experience with micro four thirds in general.<br>

<br>

OTOH, I didn't really get to "field test" it other than taking several shots at the Samsung display counter. I don’t own any SD cards, so I couldn’t bring them home for analysis. Does anyone have any real-world, hands-on experience with this camera? How good are the lenses? Would it make a good everyday walk-around camera for when one doesn’t want to bring the full bag of gear? How does it do in party or casual “meet friends” situations when one just wants a few simple snaps often in poor lighting situations?<br>

<br>

Context: I find a 5D (orig.), L glass and flash unit(s) to be overkill in casual situations. I’m also not happy with the 5D’s high ISO performance, which is why I bring the flash. Setting up multiple flash units around the room usually gets a few raised eyebrows and less casual images of my friends who may feel self-conscious. Mostly I find myself leaving the camera at home on casual outings for these reasons. A quality camera with decent high ISO results that could be popped into a pocket while out meeting friends is something I am starting to consider. Is a micro four thirds a good choice for this, or would a basic point and shoot do a better job?</p>

<p>Devon, first of all, the NX-10 is not a micro four-thirds camera. It's the first small EVIL camera to utilize an APS-C sensor. I don't personally get super excited about that, as the APS-C just isn't that much larger than a m4/3rds sensor, but it can't hurt anything either.<br>

Go to here to get and excellent review of the camera: <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnx10/">http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnx10/</a><br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>No, not all. I think the NX-10 probably falls more into this forum than the others by virtue of the fact that it's an EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) camera. It is also purported to be even smaller than the G1/G2. At this point, it has a rather limited lens availability, but they're working on that. From everything I've read, it's an excellent little camera. If I were buying today (I have a G1), it would be on my list of must see's before I made a purchase; although the G2 is a very tough competitor.</p>

<p>Yeah, like I said, I was pretty impressed with it for size, functionality and ergonomics but I wasn't comparing it to the G2, so it seemed much more impressive than the Olympus PEN, for example. I realize now this isn't really a fair comparison.</p>

<p>I had actually seen the review last week, but they kept talking about m4/3rds and APS-C in such close proximity that it lead me to think they were the same thing. Somehow I associated 4/3rds with the EVIL technology you mentioned above rather than sensor size. Thanks for clearing that up.</p>

<p>With a APS-C sensor, the NX10 is expected to do better in the area of DR and noise at high ISO. However from the review at dpreview, although it is better than the m4/3 cameras in these areas, the difference is very small. Samsung's cameras have not done well in the past in these areas and this may explain why the IQ from the NX10 did not throw a knock out punch to the m4/3.</p>

<p>The NX10 camera body is slightly smaller than the G1 (now G2), primarily because it does not have the swivel screen on the back, which I find it to be extremely useful. The new Panny G10, which lacks a swivel screen, is the closest thing Panny has to compete with NX10 in terms of body size. The lenses for the APS-C sensor cameras will be bigger than the lenses for the m4/3 cameras, which you can see from the kit zoom lenses. The video on the NX10 is also not as good as those from the G cameras. Thus IMO, the NX10 did not address the shortcomings in the m4/3 cameras and ends up as an also-run in the sub-dSLR camera category.</p>

<p><em>"A quality camera with decent high ISO results that could be popped into a pocket while out meeting friends is something I am starting to consider. Is a micro four thirds a good choice for this, or would a basic point and shoot do a better job?"</em></p>

<p><em>A GF1/E-Px with a pa</em>ncake lens may fit in a large pocket, but they are really not pocketable by design.<em> <br /></em></p>

Sony sure didn't put much efffort into aesthetics with the NEX-3/5 cameras, did they? They kind of look like a black slab with a Gerber baby jar stuck to it. But then, for me, a camera is like a car, the styling has to attract me first. Once it has done that, I'll dig into the technicals. As an example, it's clear that Oly and Panny has the concept down, as the reuslts of the Pen and the G-series show a flair for design.

<p>I am still waiting for someone to come up with a camera that allows you to input exif data. Like for someone that uses MF lenses on the digital bodies that don't record any data, you can input the focal length and f-stop of the lens your using. Sounds like such a simple feature doesn't it ? I wonder why no ones added it.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I hoped the Samsung NX10 would be that ideal bridge camera. Pocketable so you have it with you, flexible enough to give decent performance. At the moment my pocketable camera is a Panasonic LX2. I love the 3 choices of aspect ratios and often shoot in 16:9, I also love the little Leica lens. Alas, the video sucks and is inferior to a friends LX1 and also LX3 samples I have tried with my own cards. Curious I know but really poor. I also use E510 and kit lenses, the 40-150 mostly.</p>

<p>For all its ergonomics I was disappointed with the video samples I took in store with the NX10 on two occasions. Seemed to be a noticeable banding issue plus the usual rolling shutter. I am hoping the Sony NEX3/5 or Samsung TL350(WB2000 in the UK) will fit the bill. I think many of us shoot casually and want some usable video and good shots whilst accepting the compromises of a small form.</p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>I see legacy lens adapters for this camera all over the auction sites and even Amazon is selling the Samsung k-Mount adapter. Yet no where have i found anyone commenting on useing legasy glass on the NX? <br>

Has no one on these forums don't that yet?<br>

I have read that the NX10 doesn't let you control the aperture of their lenses. This is a minor drawback for me since i am interested in this camera to use my legacy glass on , and can control the aperture from there</p>