Pentax 645D ordered

chris_willson

<p>After a long wait the Pentax 645D will soon be available to photographers living in Japan. For the last 8 years I have shot almost exclusively with the Pentax 67II system and it has been great, but from next month I will be shooting with both the Pentax 67II and the Pentax 645D. The camera is on order and should arrive later this month sometime between the 20th and the 30th.<br /><br />I won't be able to give a scientific review, but I will regularly post images on my blog and give comments about my own experiences with the camera. Looking forward to starting an exciting new chapter as a Pentaxian!<br /><br />Chris<br /><br /><a href="http://www.TRAVEL67.com">www.TRAVEL67.com</a></p>

<p>Congrats!</p>

<p>I'm pretty confident this is going to be a good camera. Pentax has shown it's engineers can get BETTER results from existing sensors than other brands do. If the quality of this Kodak sensor is good enough that it sells for $20K in a Hasselblad body, I'm sure the IQ won't be an issue.</p>

<p>The only question to me is, how well will it sell, will it recapture Pentax MF market that has long since moved on, and will it have enough professional level support for people that need it.</p>

<p>Enjoy and keep us updated!</p>

<p>Hi Chris:<br>

Very exciting. Like you, I use a 67II (and a 645N) and so have great interest in the 645D.<br>

I look forward to your comments. I may be traveling to Japan this summer and if so would be likely to purchase a 645D. Do you know if the menu includes an English option? </p>

<p>Frank,<br>

Yes I will be able to use my 67 lenses on the 645D. I have already purchased the 67 to 645 adapter I will need.<br>

Justin, <br>

I mentioned in my blog that I think Pentax is not just going for the medium format market with the 645D but is going head to head with the flagship models from Canon and Nikon. As for professional support, that is the stated reason why the camera will only be available in Japan. (I once needed to get my Pentax 67II repaired while I was traveling and the Pentax service center in Shinjuku lent me a spare body for a week.)</p>

<p>Thomas,<br>

I talked to Pentax and they said there were English menus, and the software (which I think is shared with the K7?) should also be in English. Let me know if and when you come to Japan, I'll show you around!</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Chris,</p>

<p>I'm very interested to hear/read your results. I'm most interested in hearing how well your P67 lenses work with the digital sensor. I've been doing my research and have the P645D "to do" list in the future. But, I'm interested to learn how sharp you feel your P67 lenses are with the P645D. With DSLRs, the technical literature seems to indicate that the lenses designed for the digital sensors better collimate the incoming light and thus "hit" the sensor better. When I've used my P67 lenses on my K20D, I've not generally been thrilled with the results (although, I love my 135 macro on the K20D).</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Tim! </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Keep us informed. In my film days I used a 645n and 67. I sold all when I downsized our home, and retired to the NJ coast, and went total digital . I had a chemical darkroom for 50 years. I now use 1DSIII, Alpha 900 and M8. I always thought Pentax MF was a bargain, compared to the othe MF systems. The day the 645D was announced, I went on line, and bought used Pentax 645 lenses: the 45mm, 55mm, 75mm, and 80~160, all in near mint condition, not a one was over $175. As soon as the 645D is available here, I will pre-order.<br>

Good luck<br>

Dave Gurtcheff, Beach Haven, NJ<br>

<a href="http://www.modernpictorials.com">www.modernpictorials.com</a></p>

• 5 months later...

<p >Testimonial from reviewer Nick Devlin<br /><br />Quick to Respond…Very Competitive Price<br>

I bought the new Pentax 645D camera through White Rabbit Express in September of 2010. The White Rabbit Express team were great to deal with, always quick to respond, and got me the camera at a very competitive price. I would highly recommend them.</p>

<p >Nick Devlin, Canada</p>

<div>00Xey8-300711684.jpg.25bb0671cdec9d7d58f8552f80a87d00.jpg</div>