English/british/UK Album makers?

freya_jensen

<p>Hello<br>

I am about to design and print a high end wedding album for the first time - one for me & marketing and one for the client. Do any of you british photogs use a UK based album maker? if so what do you think? Or does everyone get theirs designed and shipped from the US?<br>

Also - I want to make a few more for my local wedding venues to own and promote me, would you suggest high end and risk damage/being stolen/lost or go for something like 'mypublisher'?? (I know, hardly the same but...)<br>

Thanks! Will be doing this this week so quick answers enourmously grateful!!</p>

<p>I'm not aware of any high-end UK manufacturers. All the ones I've ever been shown look decidedly mid to low end. I guess 'high end' is a relative description - might be good to get a benchmark for your tastes.</p>

<p>I get my albums made by Queensberry in NZ. I haven't seen anything in the UK that tempts me, although I'll keep an eye on this thread in case there are any plausible suggestions.</p>

<p>Loxley colour do some nice contemporary albums, various ranges of prices. The Bellissimo range has recently added an Aperture range which includes matted photos, though this album is one of their dearest. They also have ROES so you can do it all online. <a href="http://www.loxleycolour.com">www.loxleycolour.com</a>. They are just about to move to new premises at the end of the week so there may be some minor disruption in their normally excellent turn around time. Their Artemis albums or square format so more suited to those that shoot medium format. They do quite a nice preview album for proofs as well as well as doing all the usual photobooks, canvases etc.<br>

If your couple is more traditional though, they may not like the Loxley range, I had some fun trying to persuade an Italian couple that, yes, these were proper photos in the albums.<br>

The more traditional albums tend to all be overseas, or build your own. Build your own can be tricky if you've not done one before and don't have the budget to experiment.</p>

<p>I'm UK based. Some of the most popular album suppliers here would be:<br>

Sim2000 (similar to Graphi Studio)<br />Loxley (as mentioned above)<br />The Seldex Range (sold by Colourworld Imaging)<br />GF Smith</p>

<p>There are lots of other smaller companies making lovely albums too.</p>

<p>A lot of photographers use overseas manufacturers, I know a few who use Jorgensen & Queensberry - I prefer something a bit more contemporary and funky and use Finao in the US. There is also Coture Book that certainly offer a different take on a wedding album.</p>

<p>The best thing to do is to go to one of the trade fairs early next year, either 'Focus on Imaging' or the 'SWPP Convention' - don't worry what everyone else buys, have a look round and see what albums suit you and your style.</p>

<p>Brilliant thank you everyone - I am also torn to know what to do as I need something this month and sadly have missed the good photo tradeshows this year to have a good touch an feel of albums..<br>

I have just started getting info from FOLIO albums - only just came on the market this week. I'll let you know..<br>

I would love Jorgensen but the lead time is over 5 weeks and (I am probably being unreasonable) but I'd really like it sooner. <br>

Have any of you given albums to venues to promote your work?</p>

<p>Thanks Anna! I am looking at them today,.<br>

I also just got word of the FOLIO album launch this week. I quite like these guys. I wish I paid more attention at the last few exhibitions!!! I have to do this next week and I feel worried not to 'feel' them first £300 is a lot to do this blind. :(<br>

Thanks again everyone</p>

<p>Hi Stewart, I have actually already been in touch and got your info. I like to use a fake name here as I worry about clients picking up on my questions - its a reputation thing of course. But I am looking forward to placing an order very soon when I see those swatches... See you in Windsor on 30th June at Photovision.</p>