Pentax K10D focusingproblem

ulf_hansson1

<p>Hey Ulf,<br>

I remember that my K10D would sometimes hunt a bit in low contrast situations. I found that using the center point only and placing it at an "intersection" or high contrast area would help.... eg... focus and recompose. I also noticed different performance with different lenses.... the kit lens was surprisingly fast focusing. The 50mm f1.4 was pretty good in low light too.<br>

If you have a flash unit I would put it on the camera even if you don't actually use flash. The AF540 for example emits a beam that helps with focusing.<br>

good luck<br>

- Martin</p>

<p>I have the same problems with my K100D depending on how dark and low contrast the scene actually is. Agree with Martin's take on this.</p>

<p>On some occasions I carry around one of those small high lumens LED flashlights (JetBeam II) to give more light similar to Martin's flash use suggestion. At least with the flashlight I save on the camera's battery life by not using flash so much just to get a good focus point.</p>

<p>I have my Pentax K100D's AF actuation set to using the "OK" button and center spot meter and recompose. I've never needed to switch back these settings in all the 100's of Raw shots I've taken over the past several years.</p>

<p>Low contrast will eventually lead to focus hunting on all cameras and lenses, with variations.<br>

Try focusing on a white smooth wall - it is impossible, focus on a newspaper - instant lock.<br>

Technique is center focus on high contrast line and recompose if needed or manual focus. The problem is that even on manual where is no contrast your own eye cannot tell if it is in focus or not, so the same technique has to be applied eventually.</p>