Finally 45CF on the way. Any users out there?

ahaohio

I finally got around to order a Toyo 45CF (took some negotiating and

winning a bet with my wife...). I hope to see it in three weeks from

now. Seems as if they are coming in slowly.

My question is: Has any of you got hold of this camera and if so what

are your experiences so far?

With this new addition to my collection of gear I am more or less

returning to my beginnings in photo. First camera a 6x9 Voigtlander

bellow some 40+ years ago...

Ake,

I received a Toyo CF last week. I purchased it because I wanted to see if this camera would be the lightweight camera I would take on long day hikes or on backpacking trips. I already own a Toyo AII and a Canham Woodfield. They are both a bit heavy for backpackinging, but all my lenses are on Toyo/Canham lensboards which are compatible. While I haven't taken the camera out in a shooting situation yet, I have set if up svereal times and worked with it so I have some "feel" for the camera. Here are my impressions so far. Firstly, it certainly is lighter in weight. One of its nice features is to be able to store a lens on it while the camera is folded up. I tried my Sironar 150 S and my Nikkor 200M and both fit fine while the camera was closed up. I'm guessing my Fuji 240A just might work also. The focusing is fine and I believe the bellows is 14 inches. I will say that the bellows material is certainly not as nice as the AII, but then at $500 for the camera, I can't complain. The rise and fall movements are fine and the front swing works easy enough. My only "complaint" is the tilt and that's because I need to get used to it. The knobs for tilt are at the base even though it is axis tilt. It will take me some getting used to applying tilt just because I'm used to other methods, however, it is certainly manageable. The groundglass seemed bright and easy to focus. To close up the camera, you need to make sure that the positions and knobs are in their "zero" positions. It closes much like the old Super Graphics. I certainly wish it had back tilt, but with the drop bed and other movements, I think I'll be able to do what I had in mind with this inexpensive camera. When set up and locked down, it was very rigid. One of the nice touches is the set of bubble levels that Toyo has put on it. The back changes very easily from horizontal to vertical. All in all, a nice lightweight camera. I have it in front of me with my 150 lens on it and I'm thrilled at how lightweight it feels. Does it do everything a $2000 camera will do? No, but then again it will do 95% for a lot less money and in my case, will be a welcome addition to my equipment list for those times I need a lightweight camera. I hope this helps. Jim

Jim, One question that I have and I think is of general relevance to those that might buy this camera (landscape photographers, backpackers etc) is whether or not this camera can focus a 75mm lens at infinity with a recessed lens board. Toyo and Badger graphics are somewhat vague about this with the minium bellows extension listed around 83mm. Can you stick a 45 field recessed lens board on this camera, and do you think that it will be useable with a 75mm lens?

Other than the lack of back movements, this sounds like an excellent choice for people that go into the backcountry. Having just got back from a trip to the lost coast of california carrying an 8x10, Im about ready to add a lightweight camera to my arsenal.

best regards,

Eric

Eric,

I don't have a 75mm lens so I can't say for sure that a 75mm will work. However, I do have a 90mm on a 12.5mm recessed board and when I put it on the CF, I tried to see how much more it would take to get a 75mm to focus. My guess is that it will not work with a 12.5mm recessed board. Now will it work with a Toyo 45mm recessed board? My best guess is yes. However, this is my "untrained" observation. Sorry, I couldn't be of more help. Jim

Lacey,

In response to your question, I think it should be OK in a mild wind. I will not be able to put the camera through its paces for at least another 10 days. So everything I've written is based on my observation of setting up the camera several times within my home. Jim