Controlling External Flash with G11

<p>Has anyone had any success controlling an external flash (specifically the 580ex II) through the camera's menu settings? When I mount the speedlite to the G11, the Flash Control option goes gray, as does the flash exposure compensation menu, however the Canon website states:<br>

<br />"The PowerShot G11 is compatible with the Speedlite flash series intended for all EOS series SLR cameras. Attach a Speedlite flash to the hot shoe, then you can set and control the flash on the "Flash Control" menu in the camera. With a Speedlight, the G11 is given extra functions such as autoflash metering, FE lock and Flash exposure compensation; continuous shooting with external flash."<br>

<br />If anyone has had any luck with this setup i'd love to know how.<br>

<br />Thanks in advance.<br /> <br /></p>

<p>Note, Canon did not say "fully compatible". I discovered a while back when trying to use a Canon EX speedlight with a G5 it was just compatible enough to be somewhat useful, but incompatible enough to be a royal PITA.</p>

<p>The biggest issue I had was, you could not set the camera into manual exposure mode to use your own aperture and shutter speed and use the flash in TTL mode like you can with a DSLR. Stick an EX flash in the hot shoe of a G series digicam and turn the exposure mode dial to manual, and manual exposure AND manual flash is all you get.</p>

<p>The TTL preflash delay was also noticeably longer with the G5 compared to a DSLR, to the point many subjects had closed eyes when the image was shot so I often used the non-TTL auto flash option to completely eliminate the TTL pre-flash.</p>

<p>The system is full of holes when it comes to using the external flash units with a G series digicam.</p>

<p>Yeah...I ws just wondering if it was possible. I use the speedlight on Manual external metering 99.9% of the time anyway, so i'm quite used to manually adjusting flash/exposure on my SLR's and on the Flash..but was hoping there was a quicker way..</p>