Zeiss ikon

<p>Hello all<br>

I was given a gift .It was a zeiss ikon nettar 6x6 cm folding camera.The lens is a novar-anastigmat 1:4,5 f=75mm , the shutter is a vario with 25,75,200 and B exposure.I need some information about it.Is it a good camera for landscapes-cityscapes.What about the lens ,is it a good zeiss lens?It has no focusing aid.Loaded it with film but didn't finished it yet.<br>

Thanks so much</p>

<hr>

<i>Moved from b&w film forum.</i>

<p>This is a question for Classic Manual Cameras, and the moderator may well move it there.</p>

<p>If the camera, shutter, bellows, etc. are in good shape and working well, then the answer is that this is a very good camera. Many people love these old cameras and shoot with them frequently, both from nostalgia and from the fact that a nice 6x6 image can really be very nice indeed.<br>

You estimate the distances and set the scale. You can get a light meter, but otherwise, with negative film, "sunny-16" will do most of the time (Google™ which, NOT "sweet 16" -that will yield very different stuff).</p>

<p>I used to have one of those. It's a good camera for what it is, if there are no light leaks and the shutter is reasonably accurate. As I recall without researching it, the Novar was just a run-of-the-mill lens for their cheaper cameras, but, that doesn't mean it won't be good for what you want to do. It won't be the most contrasty or sharpest lens, but on the other hand, you don't have to enlarge medium format film as much.</p>

<p>Without a rangefinder, you have to guess focus, or use the depth of field scale on the lens. You could also buy a separate rangefinder. I still have a Russian-made lomo rangefinder that I used to use.</p>

<p>Ok, just my own personal, individual, self-developed opinion (in other words, not going to get into any discussion about it with any argument experts), but I don't think the square 6x6 format is quite ideal for 'scapes of any kind, be it landscapes or cityscapes. You would have to frame in the upper half of it and then crop the bottom out to make a wider composition. A 6x9 folder might have been better for that. On the other hand, I love the square format myself, for other things.</p>

Like the others said.. the 8x8 format isn'T ideally suited for some things.. You can also crop the images and with a big negative you'Re not losing anything.. Talk about not losing..while the Novar was a Triplet, it was a damn good one and I've seen where it holds it's own if not better in come situations with the 4/3 Tessar. BE sure to post your results and watch out

MF is pretty addictive!!

<p>Those of us who have folders with both the Novars and Tessars will tell you that the Novar is far better than the 'triplet' designation would suggest, and it's capable of matching the Tessar with a little stopping down. Tessars command a premium, but photographically, Novars are as good as Chuck says.</p>

<p>I really like mine. And for my $17+ shipping investment, a superb value. I take it everywhere. I stripped the shutter down and cleaned up the lenses and reglued the bellows easily. And the way it just pops open at the push of a button is just a hoot for friends and family. I use mine stopped down for street shots mostly with some great results. I think you'll really like it! I'll attach a scan with the sky adjusted for contrast is all.</p><div>00WOPt-241607884.jpg.9c82276f5e211bfcfa669abc7f4943a7.jpg</div>

<p>Zeiss Ikon and Carl Zeiss were different companies, but related. Zeiss Ikon bought in lenses from Carl Zeiss.</p>

<p>The Novar wasn't made by Carl Zeiss, but by various makers. The lens name "Novar" belonged to Hüttig that later merged with ICA. They only made cameras and bought in the lenses from different optical companies, like Steinheil. In 1926 ICA merged with Ernemann, Goerz and Contessa-Nettel, to form Zeiss Ikon 1926, under the Zeiss umbrella. The Novar continued to be a good standard triplet in the lower price range, but not marked with the makers name. It's quite OK stopped down to 11-16.</p>

<p>Carl Zeiss, the optical company, had their own triplet, the Triotar, and it's always marked "Carl Zeiss".</p>

<p>I have two Ikontas which are quite similar to Nettar. One is equipped with Tessar and the other with Novar lens. Both lenses are good - I can't say which one is better - and photographing with these oldies is pure joy. Try to find a lens hood and maybe a yellow filter.</p>

<p>Your camera sounds identical to a Nettar I just purchased from a local antique store. Here's a link to a PN thread where I asked a question about cleaning it up.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00WMdv">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00WMdv</a></p>

<p>I included about 5 digital pics to show how well it cleaned up.</p>

<p>If you do a Google on<br>

Zeiss Ikon Nettar</p>

<p>you will see a pretty wide range of links containing various types of info. There is a Wikipedia page on this family of cameras, as well as online copies of the original owner's manual that you can download back to your computer. That manual does a good job of concisely explaining the basic functions.</p>

<p>Keeping in mind the 6x6 is a square format camera, and that composures will therfore look different than a rectangular or Panorama format, I think this camera will make good landscapes and city-scape pics. One helpful feature is their Red Dot feature. If you set the Focus Ring and the Aperture Ring to their Red-Dot Marks, then everything from 13.5 FT to Infinity will be in focus (ie, DOF will extend that far). That feature alone could simplify your landscape and cityscape pics if you want everything sharp and clear.</p>

<p>This is not an SLR so you cant optically confirm what point is sharp focused before you take the picture. You either have to accurately guess the distance, or use something to measure the distance to the subject. Or use somthing like a RangeFinder device or even a 2nd Range-Finder camera to focus on the subject and tell you the distance.</p>

<p>I think that you are going to need to use a tripod and cable-release to really get the maximum sharpness possible out of this camera. That approach would dovetail with landscape and cityscape type photography. The tripod holds the camera absolutely steady, and the cable release triggers shutter with hands off.</p>

<p>I think if you can find a slip-on lens hood, that too will help you on outdoor shots. The hood will block side-light which will prevent lens flare spots, and help you get best contrast possible on the b/w photos.</p>

<p>There's some comments on the web that the Tessar lens is better than the Novar. Commentators to your query seem to contradict that. My own opinion is that numerous factors go into 'image quality' (film or digital). Obviously, how close you are to the subject, how well the subject is lit and from what angle, how precisely the camera is focused, and how steady the camera is held, - all these factors influence sharpness captured in the image. Not to mention using fresh fine-grained film, and getting it processed asap after exposure.</p>

<p>I think I remember reading in the owners manual that there were some filters made for this camera. You may want to look into getting some slip-on filters, various colors, to modify the light and get various effects in your B & W pics.</p>

<p>Drop me an email, and I'll be happy to send you copies of the various files I accumulated on the Nettar 218/16, including the original owner's manual.</p>