Free MB-D10 with D700 Purchase, Nikon UK (Nikon d700+ mb10)

gary_sempler

<p>Problem with the MB-D10 is that even if you get it free, to get the best out of it you really need to use the big EN4 batteries which are £100 each, and if you haven't got a charger you'll need one of them too. This offers is certainly appealing but just be aware that you'll still need to spend more.<br>

The other hidden problem I seem to recall is that while the D700 with this pack and the EN4 batteries will do 8fps, if you set it to 14 bit it slows right down, as does the D300. The D3 keeps its 9fps at 14 bit by contrast - one of the things that helps justify it being double the price? Maybe.<br>

Steve</p>

<p>Cannot beat FREE price...<br>

I use Zeikos grip, purchased for about $50, and it provides up to 8 fps with good 8 AA alkaline batterries. I have not noticed, or is hard to observe, if it slows at 14 bit. </p>

<p>I would not suspect Nikon's grip to do any less ? with AAs.</p>

<p>Some complain about Zeikos, that lower voltage rechargeable 8 AA batteries may not provide top speed, but it works for majority of reviewers over Internet , or with Eneloop Sanyo AA "hybrid" rechargeable batteries.</p>

<p>Dumping MB-D10 could indicate that the inevitable ... new comming soon ?, and possibly a new camera could use a different grip, or have one built-in ?... food for speculation. </p>

<p>By no means you need to buy an EN-EL4/4a. You can use 8 AA batteries as Frank points out and it works just fine. The D700 will give you 8 frames/sec at 14-bits because it is essentially a downsized D3 with the same electronics. The D300/D300S will drop to 2.5 frames/sec in the 14-bit mode; the D3X is also like that.</p>

<p>The thing is that 8AA put together is somewhat heavy, but it is a lot cheaper than EN-EL4a batteries.</p>