Nikon K Extension Rings: Compatibility?

simon_fallon

<p>Hi All,<br>

I've scrutinized the archives on this subject but the more I read the more confused I became; it seems the lens/body/ring permutations are a compatibility minefield, even by Nikon standards. I recently acquired a 20mm ais Nikkor and would love to try it with the recommended K1 ring (probably with FE2/FM2 body) but the few K ring sets I have seen on the auction site all seemed to be pre or non-ai. What I need to know is: did Nikon ever manufacture an ai version of this accessory, and, if so, is it important that I use this later version with the above mentioned lens/bodies? Also - opinions welcome - are the potential results worth the work, or is there a later, more convenient way of obtaining similarly dramatic near/far results with this super little lens?<br>

As always, any advice much appreciated.</p>

<p>As far I know/remember Nikon made just one pre AI version of this so versatile K Rings combination. Also don't expect auto aperture control. There is none. If you decide to use it - it's all manual. With lack of Nikon support in more specialized forms of photography we have to put up whatever they offered to as 40 years ago or turn to third party manufacturers like Vivitar or Kenko.<br>

And, yes 20mm f3.5 with K1 works great for close-ups.</p>

<p>The K-ring set was put on the market in the 1960's and many keen amateurs purchased these rings for their Nikkormats. Thus, most K-rings one encounters today are very little used.</p>

<p>Since there is no meter coupling with any of the K-rings, the "Ai" concept is moot (unless you put a CPU in them, which then has to be a "G" type).</p>

<p>The classic combination 20/3.5 AiS + K-1 is excellent today, as it also was decades ago.</p>

<p>I should point out that even for a non-coupled lens or accessory the "ai" concept is not <em>always</em> irrelevant. Case in point, the pre-AI 35/2.8 PC lens. There is no aperture control, but the part of the lens that corresponds to the location of the aperture ring extends far enough beyond the lens flange to be incompatible with an AI coupling unless you modify it.</p>

<p>In the case of the K rings, however, there's no such protrusion, so they're completely safe.</p>

<p>Strangely, my 35/2.8 PC ('75 model) fits unmodified on all my cameras. Some other of the pre-AI do that as well, for example, the superzooms 180-600 and 360-1200. Another example is the 20/3.5 UD. However, the fast normal lenses from the pre-Ai era may or may not fit without modification.</p>

<p>For those pre-Ai Nikkor that can be mounted, there is no direct aperture control from the camera's side, but the lens will stop down to any aperture set on it. So in order to get metering, a "G"-type CPU in the lens is necessary. Then, you can dial in the wanted aperture on the camera. (this is how I operate my 180-600 and 360-1200 Nikkors).</p>

<p>As for the K-rings, adding a CPU will allow metering with them if you need this feature..</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As far I know/remember Nikon made just one pre AI version of this so versatile K Rings combination. Also don't expect auto aperture control. There is none. If you decide to use it - it's all manual. With lack of Nikon support in more specialized forms of photography we have to put up whatever they offered to as 40 years ago or turn to third party manufacturers like Vivitar or Kenko.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What is the big deal working in manual? Just imagine, there was a time when all you <em>could </em>work in was manual. Makes you wonder just how did photographers back then in the photography stone ages make any good photos at all, what having to think for themselves and all, instead of letting the camera do all the thinking for them. /sarc</p>

<p>I think my 35/2.8 PC is probably the version just before Bjorn's - references put it at 72-75, and mine would be fairly early in the run. For whatever reason, I did have to turn the back ring of mine down to clear AI tabs. Fortunately, it comes right off and it's easy to work on.</p>

<p>Nikon is a very conservative company and often give advice for avoiding disasters when the photographer's common sense would suffice on its own. The K-1 is a good example. Nikon is afraid it may scratch or damage the contact pins inside the camera's mount. In fact, if you attach the K-1 in a careful way, keeping it parallel to the camera and not angled, there is no problem at all. I've been using K-1 with more SLRs/DSLRs for which Nikon has issued a warning than I can remember, over several decades and never had any issue. I even have K-1 rings with a CPU added to them.</p>

<p>Thank you everybody. As you all seem to have realised, my main concern was damaging the camera or lens. Years ago, when I knew even less than I do now, I unknowingly fitted a pre-ai lens to my FE2 and shot most of a roll in aperture priority before I realised that the meter reading didn't alter when I changed aperture. I can't be sure if this damaged the camera, but when I then fitted an ai lens, the camera still only gave me wide open readings regardless of the F stop that I set. Maybe the fault was about to happen anyway and the timing was a coincidence. Anyhow, you've answered my query. Now all I have to do is find a set of these elusive accessories... Thanks again guys.</p>