"given" (loaned) an older (1964) Hassy (501), a light-leaking back,

and two lenses (50mm and 250mm). I am in a quandary as to whether to

try to repair the old Hassy (probably have to buy a new back, if one

fits), or whether to buy a new system. [i am considering the Mamiya

RZ67 Pro II (package)].

Pros? Cons?

HELP!

-Bob R.

I would stay with the Hassy and see how far you get before jumping to buy an entire new outfit. You have 2 great lenses and a body that works (I presume). For the back, it is pretty easy to fix a light leak, although you shouldn't attempt doing it yourself. The newer backs should fit your 501 fine, or you could buy another used back of little less "vintage" than yours (it's a good idea to have several backs anyway).

Congratulations, Bob. If the Rollei's work, use them! The Hassy is a good choice and worthy of CLA(servicing) and keeping. The big question, from my perspective, what you have are great cameras that shoot 6x6cm square formats and you are considering a RZ67 which shoots a 6x7cm rectangular format? Personally I like them both, so what do you prefer?

Bob, I'll give you a different spin on this...all the cameras you currently have will certainly expose film, and a lot of people will oversimplify and state that a camera is a camera...but the difference between the TLR's and the old Hasselblad vs. the RZ67 ProII is a bit like comparing a World War 1 biplane with the Space Shuttle.

The real issue is the kind of work you want to shoot, and your budget. The Mamiya is a modern, world class machine that can be configured for just about any kind of photography (except handheld!)and will deliver results far beyond the capabilities of your current cameras.

But it's not cheap.

I would suggest a trip to a good camera store and handle the beast for yourself. Don't be intimidated by it's bulk. It is big, but on a tripod, which is where any camera has to be for the best possible results, it handles beautifully.

I've owned all the brands you mention, and then some, and I really wish I had sprung for the Mamiya right off the bat...it would have saved me a lot of money over the years.

Good luck to you.

Bob what are you going to be doing with it? Please answer that seriously and then someone can give you a logical reccomendation. Do you travel a lot? Do you bring your famiily when you travel? Do you want to shoot moving grandkids at high velocities :)?

It really would help if you provided some more information about what you want to shoot and the habits you have that are not going to change i.e. landscapes, and have no hand held a camera since 1970 would make it pretty apparent what kind of camera you would want.

I currently have three cameras: A Hassy 500C/M, a Pentax 6x7, and a Canon EOS-3. The first is the epitome of mechanical camera design, the second a hybrid with a crude TTL meter and an electronic shutter, and the third the epitome of modern high-tech with every bell & whistle in the book. I like them all--and they all require an individual technique. In some ways, the EOS is the most difficult to use because the options are so great!

To make your Hassy a really useable camera you will need to (1) replace the focusing screen with an Acute Matte, Beattie, or Maxwell screen; (2) fix the light leaks in the camera back--not a difficult or expensive procedure, if the only problem is a worn out seal; (3) probably have the camera and lenses cleaned and lubed. It is a magnificent hand-built instrument that will never go out of style. Its only real drawback, as far as I'm concerned, is the square negative. Either you love it or hate it. I've done excellent work with it, as have many, many other photographers; but it can be very stifling.

The TLRs are not very versatile cameras. IMO you should sell them and buy something really usable.

The Mamaya is a HUGE, HEAVY camera! And, IMO, extremely overpriced. If you want something you can shoot hand-held, it is definitely not the way to go. But it is very versatile.

The Pentax 6x7 is another option, in many ways the ideal camera. Very ergonomic, very reasonably priced. And the optics are excellent. They just came out with the P67II, which has some automation.

http://www.ravenvision.com/rvapeter.htm

Bob, if you're considering 6x7 (as you obviously are if you're looking at the RZ67), and you plan on traveling, I'd take a look at the Mamiya 7. The lenses are spectacular, and the system is so small, you could carry the body and three lenses in a small camera bag. The RZ67 is really made for the studio. I'd sell all and get the Mamiya 7.

I agree that we need some more info on what you want to shoot. I would sell two of the TLRs and keep the Rolleiflex. Then either fix the Hassy or buy a used Mamiya RB67 Pro-S. Depending on what you shoot you might want to look the the Mamiya 7. Some love it and the glass is great! But, I don't like not being able to switch backs, and the rangefinder/lens combination is bad for portrait and closeup work. If this doesn't bother you look at the 7. Otherwise look into the RB67 Pro-S. It's basically a RZII that is mechanical, (and therefore a lot cheaper). It still has the great RB/RZ features: bellows focus, rotating interchangable back, 6x7 neg, great glass. You can pick up a nice RB Pro-S system for around $1500 for a back, body and lens. Email me if you want more RB info, (there are some things you should know about different models if you are seriously considering one) at johnp@u.washington.edu Good luck!!

-John

Keep the Hassy 500C, but don't expect to find a bright screen for it.

Hasselblad will not install any of their brighter screens in it and I

don't believe any offbrand screens are in existence. Most Hassy

repair places can easily fix that back, though. As for the lenses, I

also have the 50 and 250 and love the combination. I will admit that

I have the 110 for in between stuff. That lens does not have a shutter

and one of the reasons why I sold my 500C is so I could keep my

2000FCM.

I have a lot of cameras and not to "dis" Peter H's opinion of the

Pentax 67. (He does take great pictures with it.) I feel that the

Hassy does all the pentax does and more. I have both systems and only

use the Pentax occasionally to keep it working. The 6X7 is a better

ratio for filling the frame in some photo situations. That is when I

go to the Mamiya 7 which has the added advantage of light weight and

no mirror shake problem.

Your Rollei TLR with the 2.8 is a classic and I would not be in a

hurry to sell it. A few of the worlds greatest photos were taken with

that model camera.

To sum it up, sell the Yashica and Rollei 3.5. You have an 80 on the

Rollei 2.8D so you have a nice range of square format lenses and

qualit

Bob: 1 more thought; Travel! Did I miss something? Retirement usually includes some travel. Ever try to haul a log on a trip? Skip the Mamiya RZ and either go 645 or 6x6. I'm sorry people, I take nothing away from the above. You all have good info, but Bob wants to experience MF AND retirement. Hauling a load of stuff everywhere isn't my idea of a vacation. Less is more! Mamiya 7 is the exception. The 'blad and any 645 fit in a smallish case and can use a smallish tripod. The RZ and its ilk, the Pentax67 are great cameras, but logs!He can certainly get as good results from smaller cameras.

• 1 year later...

I recently responded to a classified ad for an RZ67.

The guy at the other end had a system he was selling for less than 50 cents on the dollar.

He claimed it was in mint condition, which might have been true.

So an experienced machine could be a great bargain compared to new.

Lot's of people fail at the photography business and end up selling great gear at liquidation prices.