Need All around Lens for Nikon D5000

john_nolan4

<p>Im doing most of my shooting@Night in different lounges, etc in the NYC area...im using a Nikon d5000...need 2 get a lens that shoot a good portion of close ups in the night life establishments, but also i wanna be able 2 zoom from the floor onto the stage area perhaps??? Any goodsuggestions...not looking to spend more than $700 or so...</p>

<p>When Nikon ( or any other company ) comes out with a 28-85mm F2 for $700, email me...I want one too.<br /> In the meantime, for $700, I would get the 85mm 1.8 and, say, the sigma 28 1.8 and zoom with your feet. Others are probably gonna recommend you the 50 1.8, which is also excellent for the price. I just find it neither short or long enough. Save your pennies and buy a D700.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>John, you're looking for lenses with a wide aperture, f/2.8 or a lower value. They allow faster shutter speeds with less light, and that seems a bit what you need. Although it would help significantly if you'd add which lens you currently use, and what you find lacking in it.</p>

<p>The point raised by Leslie is spot on: such fast lenses as zoom lenses tend to be more expensive. An affordable one within your budget is the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (with build-in motor, so you keep AF). However, it maybe a bit short with "only" 50mm on the long end. A longer option would possibly be the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. Strongly depends on how big the places are.<br /> But I agree that fixed focal lenses may be better, here. The first one to have a look at is the Nikon AF-S 35 f/1.8 DX, others to consider are the Nikon AF-S 50 f/1.4 G, Sigma AF-S 50 f/1.4 HSM, and the announced but not yet shipping/priced Sigma 85 f/1.4 HSM could be very interesting too (but no idea if that would stay on budget).</p>

<p>Leslie, while I quite agree with your tips, worth noting that you loose AF with both suggested lenses on a D5000.</p>

<p> I thought of the 35mm 1.8 DX and the 50mm nikon but they are too normal for floor to stage imo. And, well, I was really thinking full frame. For the D5000, you need "motorized in the lens" lenses, John. I can't seem to remember HSM, AFS, what's tamron acronym called? What about the motorized tokina called?</p>

<p>You need to quickly zoom, so two primes is right out unless you want to buy a second camera body.</p>

<p>You can probably shoot at ISO 3200 on that camera if the light is dim. I'd look at the Tamron 17-50 VC. I think it's in your range and would work well for your purposes.</p>

<p>On a cropped sensor (e.g. that found on the D90, D5000 etc.) I find that 50mm is too long for club work. For me, It's too close for the cramped conditions mostly found in clubs. 35mm can be a a tiny bit long at times (though it's the length I use most often, and I'd definitely recommend it as a cheap option). If you want a zoom, look at the 17-50mm (this will be my next purchase), though a friend of mine swears by the 12-24. You can work out the focal length that you need on your lens using the field of view tab on <a href="http://fcalc.net/online/">http://fcalc.net/online/</a>.<br>

E.g.<br>

50mm at 3ft gives you a field of view of 1.339 ft wide × 0.896 ft high (i.e 1 person's head).<br>

50mm at 6ft gives you 2.755 ft wide × 1.844 ft high (2 head and shoulders)<br>

50mm at 9ft gives you 4.171 ft wide × 2.792 ft high<br>

35mm at 3ft gives you 1.945 ft wide × 1.302 ft high (head and shoulders)<br>

35mm at 6ft gives you 3.968 ft wide × 2.657 ft high (2-3 people head and torso)<br>

17mm at 3ft gives you 4.087 ft wide × 2.736 ft high<br>

17mm at 6ft gives you 8.252 ft wide × 5.525 ft high (good for group shots)</p>

<p>Ok.thank you all for your good advice, i can see u guys here know your lenses...however if you had to pick one lens, which would it be?.. considereing the vast majority of my shooting are in clubs/lounges with great to poor lighting and 3-10 people group shots as well as head to toe solo shots. Im also using a SB600 for now with my Nikon D5000.. though i also plan on upgradin g to a Sb-800 if not 900...So what's your 1 choice of lense? Thanks....</p>