Which lenses to buy for wedding purposes?

jaime_bond

<p>Hello, i'd like to shot weddings and i'm about to start practicing before risking someone's wedding. To start practicing i'd like to get some basic wedding gear right now, because i want to start getting familiar with the gear i'd use.<br>

I have a nikon D90 and a D50 as back-up, two flash units sb-600 and sb-800, a nikon 35 1.8 and a nikon 50 1.8. and a manual nikon 24 2.8 (I use the manual 24 2.8 in the d50 becasue i installed a split prism focusing screen on it).<br>

I have a kit 18-55 vr lens and from sigma i have a macro and a wide zoom but i don't think i'd be taking them with me, maybe only the macro for the rings and stuff but it's a big glass and it's not comfortable at all when hanging from my neck.<br>

I was planning to get next week a tamron 17-50 2.8 (the 17-55 from nikon seems to me unnecesary considering the difference in IQ and price) and a nikon 85 1.8 in acouple of months, for about 850 USD both. Right now i'm not willing to spend mor than 1000USD. When i start earning some money from the photos, well then i can upgrade but for now 1000 is my limmit.<br>

I decided to come to the pro's and more experienced photographers to ask before spending on those lenses.<br>

If i get those lenses i'd get the 17-50 as a priority, mixing it with the 35 1.8, using the 35 1.8 inside the churches when the light is too dim or the flash is not allowed, to cover from from group to portrait. And the 85 1.8 for portraits only.</p>

<p>I read everywhere that that fast zooms are the way to go in wedding photography to avoid losing the moment becasuse of swapping lenes, yet I'm more into primes so if possible which to primes would do the job if i had to pick only two? Considering my budget.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Jaime</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hello, i'd like to shot weddings and i'm about to start practicing before risking someone's wedding. To start practicing i'd like to get some basic wedding gear right now, because i want to start getting familiar with the gear i'd use.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>'<br>

That's a refreshing approach! Congratulations.</p>

<p>THe lenses you have and the lenses you want all sound fine to me. There's a LOT of personal preference here. Whatever works for you, works for you, and you should not let somebody else's success with different equipment dictate your own approach.</p>

<p>For example, I abandoned zooms—and I had good lenses— and now shoot only with primes. I think my photos have gotten better. It's very likely not the primes themselves, but the way I personally relate to working with them. Although being able to work at f/2 or faster on my APS-C bodies helps me do better in low light without having to rob a bank to buy a full-frame camera. I say, if you dig primes, stick with 'em.</p>

<p>For what it's worth to you, MY prime lens line-up is as follows:</p>

<ul>

<li>21 f/3.2</li>

<li>28 f/1.8</li>

<li>35 f/2</li>

<li>40 f/2.8</li>

<li>50 f/1.4</li>

<li>70 f/2.4</li>

<li>105 f/2.8</li>

</ul>

<p>I shoot with Pentax bodies that have a crop factor of 1.5x, like your Nikons. I shoot with 2 cameras always and pick 2 lenses that I think will get me through that part of the event capably. Before the wedding service, for example, I might work with the 21 and the 28. During the wedding service itself, I might be working with the 50 (or the 70) and the 105. At the reception, it's probably the 28 and the 40.</p>

<p>But that's just me. </p>

<p>I carry a 10-20 zoom with me. I have a couple of other zooms left over but don't bring them along any more. I have a Sigma 17-70 that's a pretty good lens and would be useful at the reception. But I find that I'm more comfortable now shooting with primes, so there's not much point in carrying extra lbs (and extra valuables) when I am pretty sure there's no change I'm going to use them. I don't take my 70-300 to weddings either.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Your thinking sounds fine to me. I myself like primes as well but it is really tough to beat the standard 17-50 range zoom on a cropped sensor, for the wide end if nothing else (think group portraits). I have, and like, the 85mm f/1.8 but with the new 85mm VR macro out now, I might lean towards that. One thing I don't like about the f/1.8 is that it isn't that fastest focusing lens I have. So if the AF-S version focuses faster, then hands down, that would be the one to get. Since you are learning (and you have the 50mm f/.18!), consider getting an extension tube (or two). Cheap on eBay (under $50) and if you are doing ring macro shots, you can get some <em>really</em> good stuff with just the 50mm and a cheap extension tube. However, you will need a tripod and a decent head. Once you start working with extension tube/macro, you will know why. So if I had the money, I would get the Tamron 17-50, the Nikon 85mm VR Macro and a cheap extension tube and a tripod/head. The lens I would get after that would be the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. Which reminds me, the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 should be out sometime soon... and if the reviews come back on it like they have on the 50mm version, then skip the 85mm VR Macro and get the Sigma- depending on price. </p>

<p>I should have added, don't skimp on the tripod head. Avoid cheap ballheads such as pistol grips and such: these heads "settle" when you let go. And that won't do for those ring shots where a fraction of a fraction of an inch throws you out of focus. A three way pan and tilt will work to start, but if you can, get something like this:</p>

<p> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554685-REG/Kirk_BH_3_BH_3_Ballhead_with_Quick.html</p>

<p>You will have it <em>forever</em>, so despite the initial outlay it will end up being the least expensive piece of equipment you own over the years. My biggest regret is not getting one sooner.</p>

<p>Hi Jaime,<br>

I think your next lenses are great choices. especially if you are on a budget. Here's my observations (I've owned both lenses). I'm both a prime lens and Zoom shooter. Depending on circumstances, some days I shoot only with primes, some days only with zooms, and sometimes both =),<br>

Tamron 17-50mm - I used to have one on my D300, didn't like it because it shot much warmer than my other lenses, this could have been sample variation. So I would recommend checking a couple copies before settling on one. I don't put down your choice because I own a Tamron 28-75mm for full frame (similair field of view on FX as 17-50 on DX). I love this lens, shoots just as great as my Nikon 24-70mm 2.8. Looses a little in low light focusing and slightly slower focus speed, but not much, considering I got the lens for so cheap! I kept it because it has a special place in my kit, because it was one of the lenses I started on, and I still use it quite frequently when I'm in an event, or place where I don't want to carry much, look inconspicious, need the flexibility of a zoom vs prime, or traveling. I would feel confident still using it for weddings (My wife still does along with her primes).<br>

85mm 1.8 - I didn't have a good experience with this lens, but I think its a great choice if you can find a good copy. It's lightweight, focuses fast, and has a nice fast aperture. Why I got rid of it, I really always seemed to fight getting images in focus with it, the copy I had didn't seem to have great focus accuracy. I shoot reportage style most of the time unless I'm specifically asked to set up shots, so being able to catch an important moment in focus is huge, you can't ask for a redo as you are trying to get the shot. If I could find a good one, I would buy it because of its lightweight size, it would sure beat lugging around the 70-200mm VR. Though the later has amazing focus accuracy and focus speed.</p>

I'm not too crazy about switching lenses, because of dust spots. Primes are really top quality lenses for sure, so maybe use the 35mm for most of your shooting. I think we all have our favorite lenses, so maybe pick out your favorite lens and use that for most of your work. Switch lenses only when the situation call for it.

<p>I'm glad to read good things about prime, i even like doing the "feet zoom" it makes me feel important, hehe.<br>

My dream team would be Nikon 24 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.4 105 micro VR and having n FX camera as well as a the DX's i already have. And a couple of "luxuries" like the nikon 50 1.2 and 105 DC.<br>

I hope the next year i can make it real.<br>

By now i guess i'll try those not so expensive primes and see how it grows.<br>

Thanx everybody.</p>

<p>I've been a wedding and event photographer for many years and I have found the fast zooms to be an absolute must. Those who say you can use a prime lens and use your body as a zoom will have difficulty getting the important shots at crowded fast moving events. Don't get me wrong the 85 1.2 * 35 1.4 are fantastic to have in your bag too.<br /> Ed Richter</p>

<p>You're first and foremost going to need a pro body, i.e. D700 or 5DMark2 and up.<br>

Then just get some fast portrait primes like the Nikon 50mm 1.4 or the Canon 50mm 1.2L<br>

Get yourself a good wide 35 1.4L or Nikon equiv<br>

And then a 70-200 2.8L IS (or Nikon equiv).</p>

<p>Once you have these go from there. :) Above is the bread and butter of being a pro. :D</p>