Some input, please.

gerry_miller1

<p>First, the good. Recently, I was able to buy, at a very attractive price, two Hasselblad 500c's. One with a 80mm and the other a 50mm. They also came with a spare back. There were known issues with these.<br>

Now, the bad. All backs need to be resealed and the light traps replaced (known issue). The 80mm has some small/light scratches on the front element (known). The 50mm has a bent filter ring (also known). This would need to be repaired in order to use filters. The focusing rings on both lenses are a bit stiff, but usable.<br>

Both bodies are in very good, user condition. View screens (inside) need to be cleaned. Mechanically, these are ready to use. <br>

I have a Bronica S2, 75mm, 50mm and three backs. This camera is w/o issues. Cosmetically, it is in much better condition than the HB's. Also, strangely enough, it seems to be more user friendly. That may be because I am familiar with it. It isn't quite as compact, and weighs about 1 lb more than the HB's.<br>

My question: Should I do the needed fixes on the HB's, then sell one and keep one. If so, I would also sell the S2 & lenses. Or, should I just go ahead and reseal the backs and sell both HB's and continue on with the S2?<br>

I have, and have had quite a few MF cameras over the years, but never a H'blad. I went through this with Leica (M4) and ended up selling that and keeping my Canon P. More user friendly, and the images are as good as the L. produced. I have a very nice Pentacon 6 TL, with 80 & 50 and a Rollei MX-EVS. I guess what I am getting at is maybe at my level of expertise, the very best isn't necessary?<br>

Any input is appreciated. <br>

Thanks,<br>

Gerry</p>

<p>Gerry,<br>

I also have an S2 system with all the lenses (50, 75, 135, 200). What you mean instead of "this camera is without issues" is "this camera is without issues NOW." It's an old camera, and like the Hasselblad, will need likely repair. I had the focusing helicoid break recently, and I've had a back repaired and the focus adjusted, and a lens with a sticky diaphram fixed. It is possible to have the focus drift out because of the foam, and you won't know it till too late--this should be monitored and tested occasionally.<br>

It depends on what you need. I recently did an engagement shoot outside with the Bronica and could have really used a leaf shutter so I could have used a fill flash on a stand and maintained a large aperture. Sync speed on this camera is just too low outside. <br>

So how much do you need to spend on repairs? Have you tried using a pliers on the filter ring?<br>

It would be interesting to hear comparisons between older Hasselblad and Bronica Nikkor lenses.</p>

<p>Scott,<br>

Thanks for your input. I should know better than to state "w/o issues". Hope that doesn't bite me. I am a hobbyist and these MF's are for enjoyment. If a "have to" need arises, I grab my D200. As for repairs, the light seals and filter ring I will do myself. These were owned/used by a pro and have been in storage for quite sometime. If a full CLA were to be needed, that wouldn't make sense for me. In that case, I would sell them, with full disclosure.<br>

Gerry</p>

<p>In regards to the bent filter ring on the 50mm. I had a lens for an RB67 that had a slightly bent thread ring. I was able to "form" it back to usability with the info from the link below using the block of wood with the cutout and the wooden striking tool.<br>

<a href="http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/filterringtool.html">http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/filterringtool.html</a><a href="http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/diy_straightening_lens_filter_rings"></a><br>

I have an old Bronica EC with a 75mm and 150mm lenses which currently is in good condition. I recently started putting together a Hasselblad kit/system. I like the Bronica, but I realize its days are probably numbered and the likelyhood of finding a body, back, or other component to replace a failed part is getting less and less probable. I always had wanted a Hasselblad and current prices on good used MF gear allowed it to happen. With the Hasselblad I figure it may be much easier and maybe more cost effective to replace a body, back, or lens if a repair is prohibitively priced.</p>

<p>Erie,<br>

Uh, Oh. I thought I was safe over here, since it is such a much larger group. If I get a bunch of heat over this, I think I will blame the whole thing on Jim...insert smiley here...I will replace the light traps and do a minor cleaning of the interior. You might want to drop me an email, to nudge my memory down the line.<br>

Gerry</p>