Phase one P45+ for weddings

javier_herrera1

<p>looking to start shooting weddings with a Phase One P45+ What do you guys think?! Would YOU personally consider it? I recently had a demo at my studio with the camera system and I was blown away by it! Especially the new Schnieder leaf shutter lenses able to sync up to 1/1600 of a second!</p>

<p>First, I don't do weddings, I shoot commercial and have shot many of the MF digital backs. The issue is that they do not, or at least have not, done well at higher iso's. In fact, they pretty much become unusable at iso400. I am not sure that is something that would be all that workable for a wedding shooter. It begs for commercial settings where light is controlled and designed for each shot.</p>

<p>The other thing to me is that it seems like major overkill for a wedding shooter. The higher end 35 DSLR's with their 20+ MP are going to meet any needs I can see. The flash sync thing might sound ok, but if you are using a dedicated flash with any of the current DSLR's, high speed sync will match this. With studio flashes, it might be nice, however, if you have shot any studio flashes you will know that unless you are using the very highest end, after about 1/250th, you actually get varying light output at higher shutter speeds. It would be near impossible to properly use a studio flash in a wedding situation if you were syncing at variable speeds above that 1/250th. This means you are back to using one of the DSLR type speedlites and you can get your variable high speed sync reliably with a DSLR.</p>

<p> The quality of the MF systems is great, I have an H2, but I really wonder how it would be better in most cases than a top quality DSLR--which is much less expensive and more flexible.</p>

<p>Totally second the replay by John A.<br>

I shoot with the 45+ (on a Mamiya) in a studio, or on controlled locations, but have never attempted any type of action/event shooting with it. Yeah, if you set it up on a tripod with studio lights/reflectors for formals, that might work but handheld for action - I don't think so. You gotta shoot at ISO 100 (200 in a pinch) and keep your f/stop around f/8 or smaller, so, unless you are shooting in broad daylight, you'll end up with unacceptably slow shutter speeds. (Provided you master the hand-held ergonomics...)<br>

If you need quality and high res, Canon 1Ds3 or its opposing number from the Nikon stable will do much better than MF digital, but hey, if you do try it, let us know how it went...</p>

<p>ok so this is how the company put it to me. I shoot commercial/advertising/fashion I started taking on more bridal and wedding work because brides are really going for my fashion/editorial style I use 1DS Mark III and a 5D MK II for most of studio stuff and now I'm starting to offer my clients the P40+ package. The Phase One people came and demo'd it for me and showed me how there are plenty of wedding photographers using this camera because of the capabilities of the Sensor + technology and it's ability to shoot great High ISO images.<p><b>Attachment deleted. Per the photo.net Terms of Use, do not upload content that is not yours.</b></p></p>

<p>Well, the attached PDF shows location shooting, most likely with a boatload of lights, no different from an average fashion or corporate shoot. If that's what you are after, go for it, but it's hard for me to imagine shooting the actual ceremony with MF digital. Now, what do you think the benefits will be over your Canon setup? Do you need to deliver humongo prints? </p>

<p>The 40+ is a new back I have no experience with (45+ is a very different animal.)</p>

<p>Yeah that P45+ is very different. That new P40+ is phenomenal Michael! I really think I can shoot a ceremony with that back and really produce top of the line images! One of the biggest selling points for me is the 12.5 stop dynamic range!! The details I got off of the white white wedding dress and the dark dark Tuxedo was just to die for! Like I said I got to demo the camera on a real live shoot I did and it performed beautifully! It is a pretty hefty price tag though so I need to make sure it's a smart move to purchase right now or keep on renting it when the job calls for it.</p>

"I started taking on more bridal and wedding work because brides are really going for my fashion/editorial style"

<P>A style I'm guessing you perfected with a 35mm SLR or dSLR? If so, why switch now? Despite the advantages you mention (high DR, of course acres of megapixels, etc.) I still don't see the application for dMF to shoot an entire wedding. Plus as you say, those are many dollars to spend if you're having doubts about the purchase. Also, when you say you got to demo the camera on a real live shoot, did you mean a wedding shoot?

<p>I'd say do bridal studio sessions with it and keep your 35mm's for the actual wedding...

<p>Javier: 12.5 stop dynamic range would be the least of my problems (1Ds3 according to Dxomark sports 12 stops) but the amount of detail one can get from a properly done MFD shot can indeed be amazing. OTOH working with MFD is as exacting as working with high-res DSLR rigs and, for action shots, there is very little I can't get with the 1Ds3. I do sometimes get into serious artifact situations with the 45+, esp. under mixed lighting and with certain patterns, fabrics, etc., which requires some serious post (or reshooting) but it is not nearly as bad as it used to be a few years ago. <br>

I'd rent the MFD rig and use it a few times before committing: yeah, it is a serious money and if you can justify it for weddings you are doing fine :-)</p>

<p>If you are already shooting the 1ds3 and 5dII, you are already trumping most of your competition out there with the class of your equipment.</p>

<p>I have rented MF digital as needed now for about 10 years or more. I don't like it for a lot of things, but this way I can always use the latest when I have the need. Many of my associates do the same and many times the digital tech comes with the camera! Unless I was shooting something that required the camera several times a week for a prolonged period, I don't think I would jump into it. I really think MFD is way behind the 8 ball and there has to be a major shift coming in the technology.</p>