The future of the E3

claude-mtl

<p>Any body know what Olympus is working on, when it comes to an encore for the E3.<br>

The camera is now well over 2 years old by now, which represents at least one generation of equipment.<br>

My wish is that the future replacement will be able to handle a higher density of pixels. But is this possible on the small Olympus captor?</p>

<p>Rumors abound about the E-5. All the other current models are 12Mpixel. But Olympus keeps their pro models in the pipe for a while. The E-1 went 2003 to 2007. So ... we'll know when the time is right what the E-5 has in store. <br /> <br /> The E-3 is still a great camera.<br /> So is the E-1, I continue to use mine often. <br /> <br /> <a title="Coffee Line by Godfrey DiGiorgi, on Flickr" href=" Coffee Line src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/4560456187_75e7f25113_o.jpg" alt="Coffee Line" width="818" height="838" /></a><br /> <em>Olympus E-1 + ZD 50mm f/2 Macro</em> <br /><br /></p>

<p>I don't know, Claude. What bothers me more is that <em>Avatar</em> is now already out on DVD. I want to know when Director Cameron plans to release his inevitable sequel which will be Part I if I understand these things. <br /> If I am a little <strong>too flippant</strong>, Claude,it is simply that your humble and sincere question<em> haunts</em> most other Olympus and Four Thirds forums.<br /> Here is my own perspective. I bought my E-3 this last December, ergo it is almost a brand new hot item release f<strong>or me</strong>. That does not mean the continuation of the professional line is an academic question ONLY as I want to see R and D and I like breakthroughs as well as the next person. Only this, that I need time to catch my breath,don't most of us?. <br /> For my needs- and I am thinking out loud as I write -<strong>what are yours?</strong>- <em>pixel density</em>, (which I <em>never</em> think about,) of four thirds array delivers an unjaggy image, an ISO range I can live with, so what am I missing I kind of wonder. Has color that I like. Speed in writing that serves. In a package that has most of the frills.</p>

<p>For most working professionals I bet they have been using Canons for ten years anyway and have chosen a company that releases a new Mark II version- apparent " obsolescence interregnum," to coin a phrase, in DSLRs- every two years, huh? Olympus company can't manage such a timetable never could...<br /> No,I don't think there will be a gigantic breakthrough in sensor technology. Do you? So who here with a normal budget and normal needs is chomping at the bit here waiting for a successor? A valid question. Not a compelling one, but maybe I am awry on that, been before with sensor tech....<br /> They are all atwitter daily the good folk over at dpreview site listening for squeaks and rumors. (High school note passers sometimes it seems)... "Say,what is that twitter that just came in?" ....I do wish you well, Claude, aloha, and sante as always,<br /> gerry</p>

<p>Many thanks Gerry for your insighful and emotional response. In many ways, I feel for your overall approach to photography and I too resent the excess attention directed towards equipment and 'technological' advances.<br>

As per myself, I was with Canon equipment 5 years ago, using a DS full frame. When came the time to replace it because of malfunction with the captor, I was faced with dishing out another 10K to get the next Canon body.<br>

Instead, I made a lateral move and got the E3 just as it was coming out at a price which made a lot of sense. I felt it was a fair transition. As I started to acquire a new set of high grade Zuico lenses, I never looked back; I felt I had made the right decision. To the point where I started selling my Canon lenses a few months ago, to find out that they really keep their value.<br>

I am dealing with situation now there the resolution of my files are sometimes deemed to be substandard. So, I rent a Capture One back for those occasions.<br>

My hope is to see the next version of the E3 capable of handling more pixels, with maybe a few less buttons to do the job and some other improvements.<br>

I realize Gerry that your E3 is brand new for your, however, the longevity of digital equipment is not to be compared to a film-based camera. In those days, you could keep a camera for life and never feel left out on the sidewalk when the parade was going on.<br>

For me, I am ready to move on to the next E3 generation.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I love my E3 in many ways but I am getting a bit frustrated with it. I'd love to see an Olympus that's a bit less noisy at longer exposure times. <br>

However, I think my 12-60mm SWD lens truly kicks arse. I'll take it over the lenses my wife has for her D300 any day of the week.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If I understand correctly, Claude,a Capture One back is a giant sensor unit of medium format size which last time I looked retails in the 15-20K range. I understand now what you are getting at. A file that print media may need to meet editorial content. Understood. In which case I can see why Olympus with all its strengths may fall behind real world needs. And the noise issue is an issue, no question. Whether it can be met to a point where the intersection with the FF and APS-C becomes so marginal that it will not at some point be an academic exercise, well, I dare not say. I am guessing that the size per se question will be resolved at some point, but that is a wild guess.<br>

I read some of the Olympus material by Dr Wrotniak (I assume you have seen his blogs) who talks a lot about Olympus and pixel size and pixel quality, which only a physicist gets to know much about I guess.<br>

I haven't reached any "walls" yet with the E-3 except the money walls on one SHG lens I wish I could justify...<br>

Olympus has preached it will keep a presence in the professional top of the line column. If they fail, then who would bother buying the 300mm F 2.8 lens or the 90-250mm or any future high grade lenses. Not me. I bet they make more on lenses than bodies anyway...<br>

There are some real not nitipicig things that gripe me about the company. Not too many.<br>

An ex Canon shooter here. I owned almost every Canon from F-1 to EF to A-1 to T 90. When I decided digital called, I got a Camedia C 5050 and the name Olympus began to appeal to me. Something special grabbed me about the E-1 in 2004. I think maybe the 4/3 aspect ratio had a lot to do with it. I never composed well in 2:3. Actually did best with Bronica square, but that was another dry well in ..and not a low cost venture either.<br>

Claude I do wish you well and maybe some promising news this calendar year.. professionals have my complete understanding i in so far as the resolution question ..aloha,gs</p>