A challenging brainstorming...

mariosforsos

<p>First of all, hello to all. I have a bit of a challenging question for most of you and I would truly appreciate any ideas you might have to throw my way.</p>

<p>First of all, a bit of a background: I have been a photographer for more than 20something years now. While not a professional in the stricter sense (I don't make ALL my income from photography - currently the split is 70-30, with the former being my day job) I have a truly extensive experience in almost all types of professional photography (product, commercial, sports/action, editorial and, my personal specialty and favourite, travel and culture). I have, after many years, arrived at a point where I can even choose what to shoot and have even the "luxury" of turning down clients whose projects do not interest me. In terms of gear, I have - I think - superb stuff (a couple of D3, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 - all f/2.8, 105 Macro, 85 f/1.4, 3 SB600s, 2 SB800s, SU800, stands, umbrellas, softboxes - the works).</p>

<p>The only thing I don't do - and that's by choice - is wedding photography. However, recently, a friend of mine has asked me to shoot her wedding and I kinda caved in. I don't think I'll have a problem in terms of actually covering the wedding (seeing as I also have an assistant with more wedding experience ;-)), but what I am looking for is a few alternative ideas considering the wedding I'll be covering is completely unlike what most of you have shot. Here's why:</p>

<p>The wedding is a Greek Orthodox one and this means:<br>

- Dark, low-ceilinged, vaulted church with a number of columns obscuring light and movement.<br>

- Wedding takes place at night, so no natural light whatsoever<br>

- Church lit by small lamps held high in chandeliers<br>

- You are not really allowed maximum movement around the couple<br>

- Lights on stands are allowed, but no umbrellas or softboxes (!!!)</p>

<p>Technically I know I can shoot it - I have shot a few in the past (same scenario) and the images have always come out perfectly fine (albeit mostly contingent on using various forms of reflected, bounced, Gary Fonged types of artificial lighting - and the bride loves a more casual, photojournalistic style (which was my only condition for doing this), so I'm not really asking for "how to" advice. What I would LOVE however is some new, fresh and maybe ingenious ideas of what I could try - something you may thing would be completely new in such a "condensed" and dark environment...</p>

<p>sorry for the long post, but now it's over to you...;-))) Go crazy...;-))))</p>

<p>I'm not sure this is the right time to come up with some new, fresh and ingenious ideas, since the object of being there, shooting, is to photograph the wedding ceremony (I'm assuming this is what you are talking about). Other than treating it in a film noir style, with not quite so dark a mood, and since you can't move much, I can't think of too many other things you can do. The 'story' is somewhat set.</p>

<p>I know you don't need any 'hows', but I just want to make a couple of comments, having shot Greek Orthodox weddings in dark churches before and seeing that you have a D3.</p>

<p>1.) Obviously, use ambient light for the ceremony since your camera is supremely capable in this regard, although I would rent some fast primes.</p>

<p>2.) If you can't shoot the processional and recessional ambient light (that might be hard)--use flash in the noir style lighting--I'd use weak frontal and fairly bright rim light, perhaps rim lighting the guests separately. One or two unmodified flashes.</p>

<p>3.) For the time the couple and officiant walk around the altar, let it blur.</p>

<p>4.) Use unmodified lights for your formals. I used to do it a lot. The shadows are hard, but well managed, and with ambient as fill, it looks fine. I prefer parabolic reflectors, like my Sunpak 120J over shoemount reflectors.</p>

<p>5). Recreate after the ceremony, if allowed. If you can't move around the couple during, you're not going to be able to get their faces, etc., which make for very compelling images when the crowns are held over their heads and the ring ceremony part is a bit different. You can also control lighting when you recreate.</p>

<p>Not sure what I can add to this - it sounds like you have a plan and the equipment to execute the plan...</p>

<p>If they perfer the PJ style as opposed to the traditional - look for a unique spot or angle to the ceremony, understanding of course, that you will be stuck in that spot for the duration of the service. </p>

<p>I've shot weddings from the back (behind the last guest), the middle, above, and in front of the couple (facing audience - I was hidden by a wall) - all offer different and unique pluses and minuses... so scout out the location (sounds like you have) and see what you can and can't do.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Shoot everything with two shots when you can. Wait for a good shot, shoot and immediatly shoot another.<br>

I have found when I am pushing the limits of hand holding or the subjects moving during a longer shutter speed, it seems the second shot turns out better than the first most of the time.<br>

I think the hands are more steady after firing the fisrt shot.<br>

When you are shooting more risky stuff, you need to increase the amount you shoot- just for safety.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your suggestions - trust me, they will all be taken into consideration. I am planning to scout the church next weekend and see how available light measures in my D3 and whether handholding is both possible and desirable. I loved Nadine's recommendation for a noire style - I think I might need to research this look a bit before attempting it on a ceremony (any good sites or photos I could look at Nadine?)...</p>

<p>As for shooting in burst mode, I always do that if my speed and conditions allow - I too have found I am more stable during the second shot.</p>

<p>I have also been toying with the idea of placing a relatively powerful hot light somewhere far off into the distance, facing the couple, through a diffuser, and using that to add a bit of light to my shots. Has anyone ever tried this? That light would be colour-balanced so I wouldn't have to constantly fight with WB issues with the available lamp light...</p>

<p>Thanks again to everyone...;-)))) (and, keep those suggestions coming!)</p>

<p>I've rim lighted ceremonies before, but I thought you couldn't do much with modifiers on the lights, and will you be allowed to put up lights during the ceremony? I personally would not, because a hot light changes the ambiance of the ceremony. I'd wait until the recreation.</p>

<p>I don't have samples of noir style as no one has ever asked for it during the ceremony--most want the light and airy style! But I'd look at old film noir posters and ads, or stills from these movies.</p>