Alternate K-x colors now available in USA

andrewg_ny

<p>Just in time for Mother's Day. I don't think Pentax USA is supporting the full gamut of color schemes they do in Japan but I believe you can now order additional colors beyond the original black/white/navy/red - the <a href="http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/">US website</a> now shows purple, orange, green, and bright blue. I still think some of the cooler Japanese schemes had grey rather than black grips, but more choices are still better. Also, too bad they didn't introduce a budget-priced prime lens to go with it.</p>

<p>If someone else is buying, I'd like mine in orange, please.</p>

<p>No, but you know what would be a <strong>cheap </strong>complement?<br>

Matching colored hoods! One could make them pretty generic for most filter sizes, maybe one generic wide and one generic tele, per filter size.<br>

Get Pentax on the phone! God knows I'd love to have a matching red set of hoods for my red K-x and my existing DA glass.</p>

<p>Not for entry-level. I think Pentax has it down right. Combine ...</p>

<ul>

<li>Extensive, solid, standard features with frilly trinkets for entry-level</li>

<li>Expert controls, advanced features and pro-like options for expert-amateur/semi-pro</li>

</ul>

<p>That 1-2 combination seems to target two segments that the other vendors don't get well.</p>

<p>Get team licensing, and collegiate colors. Ship them to the local walmart/target/best buy with said colors (and hopefully logos).</p>

<p>Watch them fly off the shelves.</p>

<p>If you don't think College Station TX with 40,000 undergrads would love an Aggie K-x than you are nuts.</p>

<p>I can see students and more affluent alumni alike (say that three times), loading up on a Razorback red K-x at the Fayetteville, Bentonville, Springdale and many other Walmarts around Northwest Arkansas and beyond.</p>

<p>If you didn't go to a university with a big time athletic program, or don't live near one, than you don't realize how rabid these fans can be. Normal 5 day a week suits driving the 7 series BMW plaster their car with logos, flags, tin cans, and shaving cream rooting for their college of choice. When they get to the game they are fully decked out in school colors, with their wives having painted nails with the school mascot on them (most likely wearing some sort of school oriented lingerie under the exterior outfit), and a matching camera would certainly be in tow if it was available.</p>

<p>Or, maybe this is just the SEC and I look like the clueless fool!</p>

<p>Marketing sells product! Sales drive/fund innovation. I'm fine with Pentax selling more cameras!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Pentax should forget the colors and make a grip. If they made a grip for the KX, It would sell very well I imagine.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I haven't checked, but I am sure there is a 3rd party grip. I really don't think the grips sell as well as you imagine. They are a niche item, and the price they sell them at proves that.</p>

<p>See my post above for what would help Pentax sell LOTS of cameras!</p>

<p>Justin --<br>

You're definitely on to something! In Japan, it was all about the colors. They're now testing the US marketing.<br>

But in the US, going after sports -- even something as simple as an adhesive "skin" designed for the camera (one that resellers could apply) -- makes all the difference! Line up some common school colors, add the decals ... bam!<br>

And it's cheap to do! That's why I suggested just adding hood colors for popular filter sizes, with one for wide and one for tele in each, because it's cheap.<br>

You don't want to add to your manufacturing/packaging, so anything that can be applied after-the-fact -- like hood colors and logo decals -- is cheap to do. And it can have major, major mark-up.<br>

Anyone at Pentax watching these threads?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you don't think College Station TX with 40,000 undergrads would love an Aggie K-x than you are nuts.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I can attest to that one! I live in Houston only a couple of hours away from College Station. My twin step-daughters are graduates and they bleed maroon! If Pentax made a maroon K-x cameras Aggies would snap them up.</p>