filters

jerry_milroy

<p>I don't know the filter screw diameters of your various lenses, but as a general principle, <em>if they are reasonably close in diameter to one another</em>, you can buy step-up rings (as at <a href="http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/adapterrings.aspx">link</a>) and just buy one circular polarizer in the size of the largest diameter lens which can then be fitted to the rest with the rings.<br /> In general, I personally have not seen any signficant difference among the filters so long as you get multi-coated ones of decent quality. It may be that the hugely expensive ones are worth every penny, but I haven't seen any evidence for that. Even the cheapest ones work, I suppose, at least better than bottle glass.</p>

<p>If you're only bringing one lens, I'd select the 17-50 for all the wide-angle vistas that Maui offers. If you want to bring two, than add the 70-200 for wildlife and scenic isolation.</p>

<p>I would definitely bring polarizers and graduated ND filters for scenics in the brilliant Hawaiian sunlight. B+W is my preferred manufacturer, although they are costly.</p>

<p>You may keep in mind -- using a circular polarizer filter on 24mm coverage or wider view -- may, repeat may give you some un-even color in the blue sky department. Digital cameras, for the most part, handle the blue sky, blue waters fairly well, without the need for a polarizer filter.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am thinking i will need polarized filters, Do I? </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Only you can answer that question depending on the look that you want to capture. Have you ever used a polarizer before? If not, and if you don't know what they do, maybe adding one on the eve of your trip is not a good idea.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>if so who makes good ones </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Singh-Ray</p>

<p>Hoya</p>

<p>B+W</p>

<p>I echo what Dan said, you might want to ask yourself if you know what the various filters are used for and what results you are planning to achieve with them. Assuming you are thinking glare from the ocean & sandy beaches? You need to understand what is happening to reduce the effects of glare or the unwanted effects from excessive light from the sun.<br>

<br /> Instead of photographing directly out at the ocean, try taking pictures from an angle. Be aware of the sun’s position and use it to your advantage while also utilizing your polarizing filter. Try to avoid direct noon sun, and instead photograph when the times are most magical, right before dawn and right through dusk. It also helps when you are at 90 angle from the direction of the sun.<br>

<br /> Through good understanding, practice and yes a step-up ring filter (as mentioned) you can save time and money. Polarizers = good. Using them effectively is up to you. I do recommend Hoya & B+W.<br /> Cheers and have a great trip.<br /> Andy</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I like the Singh Ray polarizer that fits the Cokin P Holder. This way one polarizer fits all of your lenses, assuming you buy the rings for each of your lenses. I rarely use a polarizer anymore to darken skies because it is very hard to get an even effect across the sky, especially with wide angle lenses. For sky enhancements, I use a strong warming filter, like a B+W KR 3.0. or an 81C. I do use a polarizer to remove glare from water, foilage and similar situations you will find in Hawaii. Go to the Singh Ray web site to learn all about this or just call them. There is a lot of useful info at their site even if you decide to buy another brand. Joe Smith</p>