travelling to japan early to late June. Hints / tips for travel , where to develop etc

bennjamin_williams

<p>hey hey everyone , just a heads up really -</p>

<p>Im off to Japan in June and intend to take my trusty old spotmatic 35mm and a nice vivitar 28-200mm zoom / macro lens to capture all my daytime activities.<br>

Ive got a bunch of 100 ISO film , should be good for the daytime shots of japan summer ? Any one have experience with this lens type itself - MACRO is set at maximum zoom then MACRO on the focal wind , its alittle strange to get used to . Im still getting used to this lens and its focal length too. Hints for shots ?<br>

Another thing , undeveloped film would be fine in travel , right ? Search tells me , that Australia and Japan have fairly new low emitting xray machines , and that they wont "fog" the negatives. Should i take all rolls ( i would guess about 10-20 rolls), then develop in japan before going back JUST in case ?</p>

<p>Also , does anyone know a small cheap developing shop/s chain/s in Tokyo ?</p>

<p>Thanks for replies ! ! ! !Ben</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any one have experience with this lens type itself</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, old superzooms are really poor optically. The "macro" mechanism is just a trick to hide the poor minimum focus specs of a lens like this. On top of it all it is quite slow and will not that useful in less than optimal light, especially with ISO 100 film. At the very least get a couple of decent primes to have some gear that will be more versatile.</p>

<p>If this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip I would strongly recommend to buy a digital camera according to your photographic skill (high-end digicam or dSLR). Buy it used and sell it afterwards if you cannot really afford it -- digital has so many advantages when it comes to taking vacation pictures.</p>

<p>Go Camping. Preferably on an island. Try and leave behind the urban infrastructure and see something wild(ish). Like Tashiro or one of the ones between Shikoku and the mainland.<br /><br />Miajima has never disappointed despite having always failed to time my visit with high tide. Really nice in the evening.</p>

<p>Bring all your film — try not to buy any in Japan. Bloody rip off last time I went — Superia 400 was the same price in Japan as Pro 400H in HK…<br /> I'd develop it when you get back home just in case…and it saves you worrying about dropping your film off somewhere you're not too familiar with.</p>

<p>Japan's airport X-rays are safe up to 1600 — tried it with a 5 pack roll of Portra 400NC last year.</p>

<p>I shot 400 film last year & it was just a bit fast in daylight, but worked well in shade. Depending on what you shoot, the speed of your lens & how steady your hands are, 100 might be a bit slow.</p>

<p>thanks for the replies ! ! !</p>

<p>Just some more info for you - the camera is a pentax spotmatic , intended lens is a vivitar 28-200 , 1.35-5.3f. I have another prime 50mm that came with the camera , takes fine portraits.<br>

I intend to be taking shots of museum highlights , outside shots , landscapes , all in daylight ( its summer ) <br>

This vivitar feels nice and id try to keep it as a general purpose lens ( note , cheap find on ebay not a noob $$$ splurge ) - so with 100 or 400 ISO film would this lens be ok ?<br>

I await for peoples experiences with 35mm in Japan :)</p>

<p>I strongly suggest you take the 50 for when it's not bright enough to shoot 3.5 (can happen quite often). 200mm at 5.3 (which probably won't give great quality) at ISO 100 greatly limits your available handheld shooting situations.</p>

<p>If I were going to Japan again, I'd use 100 in 1 camera and 400 in another. Since you're only carrying 1 camera and want to use a slow lens, 400 sounds better, but it's really up to you.</p>

<p>You haven't mentioned if you're going to take a tripod. With a tripod, 100 will be much easier to shoot. You might even do 50.</p>

<p>Cable release?</p>

<p>thanks again - will more than likely take the 50 for all the portrait / museum work.<br>

RE film , reason for 100 ISO as a suggestion as i recently got a batch from ebay - quite reasonably priced at $34 for 10 ( $32 US ) so i grabbed it. Easy to grab a pack of 10 200 ISO or 10 400 ISO - how would 200 ISO perform , somewhat inbewteen 100 and 400 ?<br>

Ive used 400 ISO all my 35mm experience , and bright to medium level light capture was fine/great.</p>

<p>There aren't a whole lot of 200 films out there — mainly Superia & Gold. From a few samples I've seen, there isn't a lot of difference between 200 and 400 in terms of grain, so I'd just go for 400. There's also a lot more choice for 100 and 400.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This vivitar feels nice and id try to keep it as a general purpose lens ( note , cheap find on ebay not a noob $$$ splurge )</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But you haven't exactly practised with it a lot since that macro mode still confuses you? If photography in Japan is an important part of your trip there for you, I'd burn the 10 films you have right now to get enough practise and experience to use this gear most comfortably. And still I recommend taking a digital camera, if only for backup reasons.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>all in daylight ( its summer )</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In Tokyo it is either bright, glaring sunlight or overcast and surprisingly dark (and it is always very hot and very humid). The tall buildings block a lot of light, too, so slow lenses and slow film might not work despite being summer. And it can and does rain there a lot if you are unlucky.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I await for peoples experiences with 35mm in Japan :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>When I still shot film my most used camera in Tokyo was my Yashica rangefinder. Quick, reliable, nice for street photography. However, having a dSLR kit is much more versatile and brings home many more stunning shots.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>how would 200 ISO perform , somewhat inbewteen 100 and 400 ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Depends on the film. Are we talking drugstore film stock or professional grade films? (Hint: There is no ISO 200 pro film.)</p>

<p>All in all I see a pattern as you tell it: (<em>cheap</em>) 40-years old camera, <em>cheap</em> superzoom lens, <em>cheap</em> bargain film from the internets, looking for <em>cheap</em> processing. This is not going to work if you value image quality.</p><div>00WKQh-239361784.jpg.7ad346e8f7a69a5ec6e177e230c9a0db.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>All in all I see a pattern as you tell it: (cheap) 40-years old camera, cheap superzoom lens, cheap bargain film from the internets</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I beg to differ — a film camera, being not much more than a light-tight box, will have no effect on image quality from my experience.</p>

<p>The film to be used hasn't been specified, and in many cases, cheap film does the job just fine.</p>

<p>Depending on shooting style, a cheap lens will do just fine. Stopped down, most lenses perform fine.</p>

<p>Tripod and in a museum...in Japan. Maybe not. Some visitor sites (the Golden Temple in Kyoto, for one) will not let you in packing a tripod. Before buying a entry ticket, you might also want to check if photography is allowed (one not-so-nice thing to discover as you enter with a ticket and then see the "No Photography" sign posted on the wall.)</p>

<p>Generally a tripod will not be a real good idea in the daytime in Tokyo. Heavy foot traffic will make you a hazard. At night, you should be OK.</p>

<p>If you are <em>(for sure)</em> going to go with film, a Takumar 28mm, a Takumar 50mm, and a Takumar 85mm lens would be better in low-light conditions than the zoom lens you have.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>to address a few points raised...<br>

- bring lots of 400, more often than not, it is raining in June.<br>

- night scenes are amazing here<br>

- Bring more film than you think you need or a digi, there is a photo around every corner, especially if it is your first visit<br>

- again, the rainy season, protect your gear, it likes to rain hard here, as it is right now.<br>

Most of all, don't over think it, there is a certain fun in making the tools you have work for you.<br>

Also not sure what your after but Japan has amazing mountains 3.5 hours away from Tokyo. They are often overlooked and as someone else mentioned the islands are amazing and will surprise you that your in 'Japan'.</p>

<p>Have a fun trip!</p>

<p>thanks again for the replies. Im understanding more the lean " better safe than sorry" towards 400 ISO film - the bundle ive got is fuji superia 400 so that should be sufficient. Any advantage on a old SLR , using ILFORD 400 ? ( looks at EBAY )<br>

Just some more clarification , the spotmatic was free ( dad gave it to me ) and every lens ive gotten ( a few primes and a couple of zooms ) were bargains off ebay , but research tells me they are still great quality lenses. Still give good results.<br>

Anyway , no real intention to take a tripod - just point , adjust alittle and shoot.<br>

Ive got a takumar 50 ( 1.4 ?) , takumar 200 ( 1.4?) and the vivitar 28-200. Im awaiting a processed negative to come back from using the vivitar today - it was overcast so its a good indication of how it handles 100 ISO film and the lower light conditions.</p>

<p>RE mountains outside tokyo - let me know where ! We are getting a JR pass , so a shinkasen return trip is essentially covered ( after booking it ofcourse ) so i would love a day or two walking around some natural sights.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> takumar 200 ( 1.4?)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A 200 1.4? Is that a typo?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any advantage on a old SLR , using ILFORD 400 ? </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Pretty much all old SLRs do the same thing. It's the film that makes the difference, not the camera body — did you get a Delta 400, HP5+ or XP2?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>research tells me they are still great quality lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Don't rely on research — test them yourself. Optical quality is all personal opinion, and what one person defines as a “sharp” lens might not be “sharp” for the next. Same goes for tolerance for distortion, and all the rest.</p>

<p>my humble opinion..forget film and the spotmatic!<br>

yes! it's a great camera, pentax super-takumar lenses are stunning. old zooms, new zooms are poor picture makers! Go digital. i had damage from x-rays on trip to South Africa. Very slight fog making grainy pictures. i processed some rolls there(kodak labs) and back in toronto. same result.. My little Canon Supershot S590 gave me wonderful images.Cost of Canon digital C$107incl tax. It was easy to duplicate the entire shoot(thousands of images) for family living in South Africa. Smaller, less obtrusive. Used Lithium batteries as my charger made for 110volts not 220volts.<br>

i used my Leicas which were OK. Also used and left behind for next trip, Canon ae-1P, 50mmf1.8 and 35~105 Canon FD zoom, with a few rolls of Ilford B/W, for next trip.<br>

If you still want to use film, there are stores in Japan. Yup! One less X-ray(s).Process there?<br>

Please give all the advisors some feedback on return!</p>

<p>"RE mountains outside tokyo - let me know where ! We are getting a JR pass , so a shinkasen return trip is essentially covered ( after booking it ofcourse ) so i would love a day or two walking around some natural sights."</p>

<p>You might check the <strong>Japan Travel Bureau</strong> web-site. Do a Google search to find it.</p>

<p>There are some in-expensive places to stay overnight in Japan, and some very costly places.</p>

<p>(I was lucky enough for the five year *tour* to Japan the US Air Force provided me. You may find some out-of-Tokyo towns having festivals...lots of color. Your trip is late for plum trees in bloom in the mountains around Tokyo, and the Cherry Blossom season will also be finished. Golden Week (the first week in May) has a few events, too.)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You absolutely do not need to be concerned about x-rays coming and going through airports in Japan. You also won't get any damage to exposed film and I've gotten better processing here in the U.S. than in Japan. I have carried a couple of thousand rolls of film into and out of Japan over the years with never a problem.</p>

<p>Do not put film, exposed or not in any checked luggage anywhere, anytime.</p>

<p>Conni</p>

<p>In the area near Tokyo, Nikko and the Fuji-Hakone areas are quite close. There are high speed trains to Nikko but even the not quiet as fast trains are good. When I was there, many years ago, if I recall correctly, one of the first or second stops south out of Tokyo on the Tokaido line shinkansen was Odawara which gives good acess to Hakone.</p>

<p>Because these areas are close to the greater Tokyo area, there are a lot of tourist related facilities, they aren't necessarily rugged "wilderness" type areas.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You absolutely do not need to be concerned about x-rays coming and going through airports in Japan. You also won't get any damage to exposed film and I've gotten better processing here in the U.S. than in Japan. I have carried a couple of thousand rolls of film into and out of Japan over the years with never a problem.<br>

Do not put film, exposed or not in any checked luggage anywhere, anytime.<br>

Conni</p>

</blockquote>

Thanks , thats the kind of info / experience i was after.

<blockquote>

my humble opinion..forget film and the spotmatic!

<br />..................

If you still want to use film, there are stores in Japan. Yup! One less X-ray(s).Process there?<br /> Please give all the advisors some feedback on return!

</blockquote>

I appreciate your opinion , like everyones here and i understand what you are getting at - the idea is to use the trip as practice and learn more . My gf will be bringing a few digi cameras for her captures if my old donk somehow falls apart or misplaces itself somehow. Ive been once before and will go again. Oh , will post up all findings and any decent shots out of the bunch i take.

<p>Hi,<br>

sadly I had a nice write up with direction and help for your mountains in japan request, but literally just as mouse hovered the 'confirm'- it froze :(.<br>

I'll keep it a little shorter this attempt...<br>

If you visit Nagano you can access 2 amazing locations- Hakuba's North Alps and Tatayama.<br>

You can take the Shinkanssen train to and a bus to both areas. And will take about 3-4 hours.<br>

Tateyama is an Alpine route that can be traveled from Omachi to Toyama. there are many things to photograph there and you will see many Japanese photographers along the way. From 10meter snowwalls along the road to gas rising from the earth with mountain backdrops. It is all in the Alpine and stunning in when the sun is low.<br>

If you choose to travel all the way to Toyama you will end up at the Japanese Sea, this will present you with another world of images to take.<br>

Hakuba has gondola that will take you to the Alpine and you can wonder from there. the mountains are rather spectacular and if your willing to walk a little you will be very happy.<br>

Both options provide multiple overnight cabins and offer a really uniques Japanese experience.<br>

If you want more specific details just email me ian@fstopgear.com<br>

here are few links for inspiration ( my site is down) but this one has some great shots http://i-cjw.com/<br>

also here is my point and shoot page on FB... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=413726&id=891880706 it will give you an idea of Tateyama.<br>

hope that helps</p>