taking my Ms to Hong-Kong and Beijing

didier

<p>Dear all,</p>

<p>I am flying to Hong-Kong on May 17th (for 5 days) and then Beijing (for 5 more days). I will travel witt both my M7 and M6TTL. Maybe even my M3 for B&W. Lenses 50s for sure, 2/28 too. Maybe 'lux 75 or SAA 90.<br>

What kind of film (slide and B&W) would you take ? I am mostly a Velvia 50 user, have the last 2 or 3 K64 still in the fridge. Lately I've discovered Astia 100F which is has a nice exposure latitude...<br>

For B&W, I shoot mainly TriX, but have some FP4+ and TMAX in the fridge too...<br>

What films would you take to those cities ?</p>

<p>thank you for your comments</p>

<p>Didier</p>

<p>Hi, if you like Tri-X, take along some Plus-X also, it's the perfect match for that look. It's a great film. TMAX is very nice film also but I prefer the "older" look of Plus X and Tri-X.</p>

<p>Don't forget some fast 3200 or 1600 color for night shots, but doi you really want to carry 3 cameras?</p>

<p>Being a HK citizen, I would say avoid Velvia 50, unless you are going to shoot wide open all the way, you won't get that good a weather (although I wish we do), here's always a little bit hazy, I personally always stick to something with a bit more contrast, I leave or my slide for travel.<br>

and depends what and where you're shooting, if most of your time is in the city, you might end up always in the shade or indoor area, for my day to day shooting, I usually load ISO400 (xtra 400, kodak 400UC or VC, XP2 are my faves).. and I always stick with f5.6 - f8 for street shooting. If you want to use Astia, it works ok when you push 2 step just in case.</p>

<p>since you're at least bringing 2 Ms, why not load your M7 with faster film (it has higher shutter speed, right?) and M6 with 100?</p>

<p>Living in HK, I wouldn't bring anything slower than 400 for street shooting and nothing slower than 100 for still shots. Too much shade due to the buildings and we're getting a lot of rain these days.</p>

<p>I usually shoot Tri-X for street and Ektar for tripod work.</p>

<p>To give you an idea of the settings I shoot with in, say, Central (Tri-X at 400):<br>

1/125 2.8 or 4.0</p>

<p>In more open areas of Causeway Bay, occasionally I get to go to 5.6, but rarely stop down more than that.</p>

<p>I've only been to Beijing once and it was much brighter — mainland China in general is much brighter due to less tall buildings. You might be able to shoot 100 there.</p>

<p>I've been experimenting with Provia 400 recently. So far the results look good - a good way of shooting chrome when you don't have the light required for Velvia. Apparently you can even push it one stop if you are stuck in a low-light setting, but I've not tried that yet. <br>

Not been to HK, but Beijing can be quite overcast. Depends on whether the winds have come through to blow the dust and smog away.<br>

Leo</p>

<p>There aren't a lot of subject matter in HK or Beijing for color except for the obligatory night scenes for which you should use Fuji 800 print film or better yet a digicam. Bring TMX and TX, some yellow filters and preferably a red filter just in case you get blue skies at the Great Wall. </p>

<p>If you're going to use Pro 800z in HK, bring a few spares as I haven't been able to find a shop that sells it (I can only find 160 and 400).</p>

<p>I know of 3 film stores in Central and 2 of them have Portra 160 (both types). I think all of them have Tri-X, TMAX (100 & 400), Reala, Ektar, Gold, Superia, Natura, Velvia, Provia, Astia (I think?)<br>

I only regularly go to one of them to buy film — I've only glanced at the rest.</p>

<p>You should be able to get hand inspection at the HK airport with very little trouble — if you get denied a hand check, insist and/or ask to speak to a superior. Same for most of China, from my experience. Being firm goes a long way.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>…except for the obligatory night scenes for which you should use Fuji 800 print film</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Raymond, I'm curious about this — please elaborate on why you think 800 print film is best for night scenes.</p>

<p>"If you're going to use Pro 800z in HK, bring a few spares as I haven't been able to find a shop that sells it"</p>

<p>This is actually one of my favourite films for shooting here and I've not been able to find it for about 6 months, maybe more now. I tend to agree with the suggestions above. For most city shooting you need 400. If you do get out on the trails away from all the buildings, you'll get more light, but yes it's incredibly hazy right now.</p>

<p>You can get most films here pretty easily and simple to get all the colour stuff processed before you leave, bring some tri-x and the astia as they're not easily found here. Ektar/160NC/160VC/400NC/Fuji 400 etc etc are all available.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>bring some tri-x and the astia as they're not easily found here.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have no problems getting Tri-X Chung Pui Photo Supplies G/F 44 Stanley Street (tel: 2845 2539). Don't get your film processed there, though, unless you fancy the guy putting his fingers all over your negatives and getting dusty scans (I watched him scanning negatives once…). He does love chatting though…<br>

For developing & scanning, I go to Colorluxe Express (316B G/F Jaffe Road, Wan Chai), but the only practical way to get there (I find) is to take the bus. It's quite a walk from the MTR. Colorluxe usually has Ektar, TMAX 100 & 400 and Gold 200. Very nice people. I also asked one of them, once, if he ever touched the surface of the negative when handling it; he told me did his best not to. I was even happier when I watched one of them do the scanning — didn't touch the emulsion surface once (only the edges).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ektar/160NC/160VC/400NC/Fuji 400 etc etc are all available.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Where do you get your 400NC, Paul? I can only seem to find 160…</p>

<p>Hi Hugo, I haven't bought some for a while that's true! I normally get my Kodak films in photo scientific (they're the only place to get 5x4 Porta 160), but assuming you've tried there so the other places I normally go to are the chaps at the end of Gilmans Bazaar, Dotwell (downstairs at Champagne court in TST) or the Kowloon Photo Company. It would only be one of those three. I've been through about 5 rolls of Fuji 400 and still have 5 rolls left to go, so haven't used Kodak 400 for perhaps two months at least. If I spot some at the weekend, I'll post to you and let you know.</p>

<p>Thanks for the tips on the Tri-x and Colorluxe Express, btw. I normally get slides processed at ColorSix and print films in dotwell, which means a trip to TST - generally ok for me as on my way home, but means I have to wait, they're very nice in there, although getting really busy lately - my observation that film is growing in popularity again!!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>…and I always stick with f5.6 - f8 for street shooting.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Which area are you in, Walter? HK's almost never bright enough for me to shoot f/8… :(</p>

<p>Paul — Last time I went to Photo Scientific (Central), they only had Portra 160. I'm sure I've seen ColorSix somewhere…it's in Central right?</p>

<p>A trip to TST might be too far for me…I live in Fortress Hill…</p>

<p>My observation is that you're sending in too much film for them to handle :P</p>

<p>Reminds me — I saw someone, around the middle-end of last month in Central (near Watsons & H&M) shooting what looked like a Leica M7 and a 50 1.4…that wouldn't've been you right? He was carrying a medium-sized brown photo bag; the kind with 2 buckles on straps?<br>

It just came to mind…and when you mentioned ColorSix, I thought of Central…</p>

<p>Colorsix is just up stanley st from photo scientific, before chung pui. They don't have film but can process slide in a couple of hrs and reasonable price. It wouldn't have been me you saw shooting, I have a black crumpler style bag, shoot a bessa black r3m or black M8 and only have a lowly summarit 35/2.5, but shoot quite often with the CV 50/2 heliar classic.</p>

<p>I know we've kind of hijacked the thread a little, but hopefully this is all useful, relevant information for Didier's trip to HK!</p>

<p>Hi Hugo, I shoot everywhere lol with ISO400 film I think you should do alright with f8 even on a cloudy day - daytime... I only shoot ISO100 film one a good sunny day and when I'm far from the city, and almost only use ISO100 film or slide when I'm abroad :D<br>

Color six is right next to the Mac Shop on Stanley St., Central<br>

If you see someone shooting Chrome M2 with a Nokton 1.1 and a Black VC meter II, it could be me</p>

<p>…shall have to look out for you 2 lurking around Central!</p>

<p>Walter — I shoot Tri-X at 400 and try to keep at 1/125 until about 5pm (or whenever I can't possibly keep going at 1/125), at which point I go to 1/50. I usually only manage f/4 at most…</p>

<p>Paul — your equipment isn't lowly; at least not compared to mine — Kiev 4a, Jupiter 8 (it'll take a keen eye to distinguish it from a Contax though — I put tape all over it). I don't carry a photo bag, just a normal shoulder sling bag — blends in better, and I have never finished a roll in a day of street shooting.</p>

<p>I'm sure this is useful for Didier, who will now know who to make a beeline for if Central ever gets too overwhelmingly busy and big ;)</p>

<p>I rarely go to Central (only to get film, really. I don't like it so crowded), but if any of you ever see someone in dark-ish blue jeans, Quicksilver shirt (hint: I only wear QS shirts), shoulder-length dark brown hair, black trainers and a Kiev 4a with Jupiter 8 and a black braided leather strap, that's probably me. I also carry a big shoulder bag (black leather) with a white stripe down either side.</p>

<p>Oh, a note for Didier: beware of carrying a camera around while holding a “big bag” (any bag with a few books and a cup in it will do) — you will probably get stopped and searched by police, especially in Central. When passing an officer, don't start walking faster — one of them (they usually go in pairs) will head straight for you.<br>

Or it's just my hair and the way my eyes dart around…probably that — I got stopped walking around Fortress Hill (where I live, even…) with the camera by my side.<br>

Every officer I've been stopped by speaks understandable English and I think they're required to provide a reason for stopping you if you ask for it.</p>

<p>Of course, this is relevant information (however irrelevant it seems :P), especially for street shooting (what I do).</p>

<p>Thank you for your comments. I will take TriX, some more Provia 400 than planned and some less ISO100 slide film...<br />If you see a 2m tall (something like 6 ft 5 inches) with a M6 or M7 in one hand and carrying a Billingham Hadley , it could be me ;-)</p>

<p>Didier</p>

<p>It's rather embarrassing to admit (having lots of very dear local friends after being here for 12 yrs, I certainly don't live in the gweilo silo), I have to say my shiny white face means rarely being stopped for anything, your long hair combined with carrying a camera - that russian spy equipment around :). That said, Hong Kong is an incredibly safe place to live and I'm far happier having my family here than back in London where I have witnessed far more unfairness by the authorities that borders on harassment/persecution or denying civil rights (see the threads here on PN about photographers in the UK). In HK these things are more of an annoyance.</p>

<p>BTW, Hugo, sorry to hear what you've been through, maybe you should either change you hair or change your bag, or maybe use a Canon / Nikon DSLR, then you'll look more ... normal :D<br>

Using any camera other than Canon or Nikon always get some attention on the street, I always got those "are you crazy?" kinda look whenever I shoot on the street lol gonna try do some Pentax 67 street shooting anyway!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Using any camera other than Canon or Nikon always get some attention on the street</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No kidding — I've seen about 2 or 3 Leica shooters this year and my camera gets stares everywhere.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>or maybe use a Canon / Nikon DSLR</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I much prefer my rangefinder :D</p>

<p>Paul — I suppose race has a bit to do with it (can't see why it would). Russian spy equipment? You wouldn't even be able to tell it was a Kiev and not a Contax :P<br>

Having lived here for 12 years, I guess you've picked up a lot of Canto? That's one of the biggest problems some of my non-Canto-speaking friends have in HK…although they seem to be able to get…certain items from 7-11 without problems (or ID…)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>That said, Hong Kong is an incredibly safe place to live</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Indeed it is — there's not much worry about wandering the streets at night (something I sometimes do, when I feel like it.)</p>

<p>Didier — I feel obliged to tell you that while in Beijing, don't walk on the side of the pavement…according to my family in mainland China, that's how bags get stolen (people ride past on motorbikes, snatch your bag without slowing down and you either let go or get dragged along). Be alert at night (and don't keep anything in your back pockets). It doesn't happen in HK, thankfully.<br>

Don't want to spread fear or anything — I just remembered that you have equipment you wouldn't want to lose.</p>