mamiya 6 (RF) field of view visibility

jacobmiles

<p>Hello. I just bought a Mamiya 6, and I've never used a rangefinder before. I understand the parallax correction, but this sentence from the Mamiya 6 manual confused me:<br>

"The composition will be within the lines of the bright frame. 83% of the field of view is visible at infinity;, and 100% is visible at the minimum focusing distance."<br>

What does that mean? The "bright frame" is the square superimposed in the viewfinder, showing the boundary of the recorded image. At least, that's what I thought it was until I saw that sentence. What is the "field of view" in the above sentence? How does that sentence affect composition?<br>

Thanks for any help. <br>

- Jake</p>

<p>A lens changes it's effective focal length (and angle of view) as it focuses closer than infinity. The viewfinder has some parallax correction (the frame lines move), but it does not zoom. So the frame lines are set to be most accurate at one end of the range. You get a little more on the negative than the frame lines indicate at infinity. Test it if it bothers you.</p>

<p>Hi Jake, I'm a long time user of rangefinders, but still I can understand why that sentence would cause confusion. I'm not sure of the optical details (perhaps a more knowledgable person can educate us oth), but when a lens if focused from near to far (infinity) not just the point of focus changes, but the field of view broadens a bit as well. Looked at another way, the EXTENSION of the lens when focusd closely, NARROWS the field of view.<br>

With SLR cameras, this optical effect has no significant because you're looking directly through the taking lens. But with prettyy much all rangefinder-type cameras (I think the Contax G1/G2 may be an exception) the framelines in the finder are fixed in size, so cannot be accrate for all focusing distances.<br>

I have and love a Mamiya 6 camera - my advice is just go out an use it and don't worry about this. The lines are most accurate up close, for infinity shots you'll get a bit more in the picture than you bargained for - great camera the Mamiya 6.<br>

I Hope this explanation helps!</p>