<p>When did Adobe add multi processor support in its various applications? Doing some web searching it seems like they added it in CS3 and in Elements 6. Were there earlier versions of either that added multi processor support?<br>

I currently have Elements 2 (came with my Epson 4490) and I have been considering upgrading to Elements 8 one of these days soon. I can't hack the price of CS4 or CS5, so those are deffinitely out. Heck, Elements 2 handles most of what I need anyway. Though some of the new features in elements 8 would be nice in addition to multi processor support.<br>

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>Multiprocessor support came out with Photoshop 4; not sure about LE or elements. Here I built up a dual 200Mhz box with 512megs of ram for Photoshop 4; and used NT4 with a NT patch for the dual CPU support; that was a long time ago! <br>

Not all features in PS use 2 or 4 cpus or cores; so beware it helps someplaces and not others. In one custom batch I run; a 2; or 4 or 08 core box has only 1 core active; the others are dead. </p>

<p>a suggestion; get a wacom pen and touch 4x6, 120$ and it come with Element 7 for PC, 6 for mac and Nik Color Effex LT i think.. you will still be 1 version behind.. but you get a wacom tablet at the same time.. nice gift ; )</p>

<p>for the rest, Kelly have it right ; )</p>

I assume the OP is inquiring about multiple cores, which is completely different from the processing side of things vs. multiple processors. To the program, a multi-core processor is still just a single processor. As nobody had even conceived of multi-cores as a concept until more recent years, this support wasn't added until the last generation.

<p>Multi-core is only distinct from multi-processor at a hardware level. They're both reported to software in exactly the same way and function in exactly the same way as far as software's concerned. If you're got multiprocessor support, you've got multicore support. Ditto for HyperThreading (which isn't even distinct hardware).</p>

<p>The only "support" you need to add for multi-core processing is if you either didn't support multiprocessing at all and want to, or if you hard-capped it at 2 processors and now want to support more. A fair amount of software falls into the latter, as chunking up algorithms is hard to do and 2 processors was an amazing number even a few years ago. Otherwise everything Just Works as it has.</p>

<p>Back to the main topic, I'm always a fan of Patrick's idea and have recommended it myself more than once. If you don't already have a tablet, it's a great way to get Elements and a tablet for a smoking deal. :)</p>

<p>Craig;</p>

<p>with PS 4 the program sees both CPU's; ie NOT just a single processor.</p>

<p>One sees two CPU's in task manager; the PS 4 programs shows "loading multiprocessor support" on PS 4 and later versions.</p>

<p>Thus in actual performance with Photoshop 4 with one 200 Mhz pentium pro the box with NT or win2000 will rotate a 105 meg file in 9 to 10 seconds with in CPU installed; and about 6 to 7 seconds with two CPU's installed.</p>

<p>Dual and quad cpu s were once common in servers. </p>

<p>Our dream machine for Photoshop back in 1996/97 was an NT server; thus here least in pro usage the we built up and used photoshop boxes to use Photoshops quicker speed with photoshop 4.0</p>

<p>In all fairness; the average amateur user has no clients; thus speed often is not an issue and thus few amateurs used photoshop 4's quicker speed with dual CPU's; thus they only heard or used this support until the Joe Sixpack box at walmart had dual cores.</p>

<p>In gaming dual cpus are also used and dual cores two. Ultimate tournament runs snappy on the 1996 dream machines upgrade with two 333Mhz pentium server/xeon II's CPU's with full L2 cache.</p>

<p>With ancient Photoshop 4 on a newer dual core box it uses both cores with a rotation; just like it uses both CPU's on an older box; thus it really is not completely different; more like almost the same betterment in performance; where the cpus/cores are used/</p>

<p>Were the lay public gets in trouble is assuming that more cpus or more cores actually shortens time in photoshop; it does in some things and not others. It never has ; but newer PS versions often have more stuff supported with more cores/cpus.</p>

<p>the betterment in time often is not much; say 35 percent with one thing; none in another. If teh code is ill it can be worse too; ie too many cooks in the kitchen.</p>

<p>The question asked was actually:<br>

<br /> "When did Adobe add When did Adobe add multi processor support in its various applications? in its various applications? "<br>

<br /> thus it is really somewhat sad or funny that some of us built up custom 5 grand pro boxes just for Photoshop 4; built just to use the new added multi processor support that came out in Photoshop 4<br>

<br /> At best we got about a 50 percent drop in some things; with many at just say 30 percent.<br>

BUT those dual cpu boxes could juggle alot of balls at once; good to have photoshop while moving files on the lan; being on the internet; doing a ftp transfer or web host all at the same time.</p>

<p>Wacom Medium size Intous4 has 8.8 x 5.5" active area but it costs about $300+ from discount places or Amazon. It comes with Photoshop Elements 8, and other software.<br>

Once you install Elements 8 from Wacom given link you will be aligible for 50% Off the price of Photoshop CS4.<br>

Since SC4 cost is $699, or closer to $650 on discount markets. Taking Off half price from CS4 ($300+) makes your Wacom Medium tablet free.</p>

<p>There is a hassle that one must endure. Adobe does not have direct upgrade path from Elements 8 to CS4, and a special Customer Support session is needed with some "workaround" process is needed to register final version of CS4.</p>

<p>Another headache is that Elements 8 as installed from Wacom, installs as 20 digits Key/Serial number, while Adobe Upgrade Verifier software insists on 24 digits, so another explanation and workaround will be needed. Nevertheless, after all the patience needed, you will get SC4 legally registered, and the Intuos4 tables free, as the end result of the 2 purchases.</p>