CD or DVD??

jessica_dixon

<p>A CD-ROM only holds about 700 MB of data. My full-resolution JPGs can be anywhere from 3MB to 9MB each, so worst case scenario, a CD would only hold less than 100 photos. Since my all-day coverage typically generates between 300 and 350 photos, I only deliver photos on DVD-ROM.</p>

<p>The downside to DVD's is sometimes your client will take them to a cheap print lab where the guy behind the counter doesn't realize the machine can't read DVD's, so you get a call saying your CD doesn't work. In that case, you have to split it up into multiple discs.</p>

<p>I use DVD's every time, due to the amount of images supplied and the presentation cases I use.<br>

You may find people say they supply a CD/disc and it's actually a DVD. I tend to call mine a 'disc' as when I used to describe it as a DVD people got the impression it was a dvd you could put in your dvd player - perhaps playing a slideshow. As a lot of people, when they think of DVD's they think of movies.<br>

Must admit I've never had anyone call who couldn't get the dvd to work on their computers or at a lab.</p>

<p>DVD's are more robust.</p>

<p>With a CD the reflective layer is on the same side of the disk that you write on. Take a scrap CD and write on it with a pen. You will see the marks on the other side of the disk. There is very little protection for the reflective layer.</p>

<p>A DVD has an additional layer of plastic over the reflective layer. Write on a scrap DVD with a pen and you will not see the marks on the other side.</p>

<p>I would trust a high quality DVD for long term storage over what I would trust any CD.</p>

<p>I just want to throw out a word of caution that ANY optical media is NOT a long term storage option (although Blu ray was designed with an eye to archivability; it's just too new to <em>know</em>). I learned this one the good ole' fashion way! Any media will fail over time and this is something I make sure my client's know. We actually give them 3-copies of the media and in some cases, a gold disc copy and a thumbdrive copy. And in all cases I let them know that all media fails over time. The best defense is multiple copies and refreshing back ups every few years.</p>

<p>To add to what John said, I also include a text file (and inform them verbally) explaining that a disk isn't an archive and they should always have three copies- one to work with, one as a back-up, and one stored off-site. I also tell them to continually archive their images on newer media. </p>

<p>As far as cd/dvd goes, I have given them on cd so that there isn't any issue with them being able to view them on any computer. I do a custom cover for a dvd case (looks like a movie case) and include the numbers of the images on each one, but I give them a cd.</p>

<p>can I agree with the above, I give 2 copies of the disc, but I also give them an info sheet mentioning that they can and should make backup copies/back it up on their PC etc as all media degrades over time, I make sure I buy good quality discs, but I like customers to remember that nothing lasts forever.<br>

I do also keep an exact copy of their discs too, on site and off site in case of emergency.</p>

There's a company that has 100 year archival DVD's. www.archivalgold.com. I don't use them for weddings, but for my nature work. Actually, I still don't give out wedding CD's or DVD's. After 5 years I'll call the couple and offer to sell the DVD's at a set price. If they aren't divorced they usually buy them.