Broken manuel mode

thena_bean

<p>Hi: Today I got my camera to take some shots of a hail storm from my garage. I went to test the lighting and noticed that my exposure was -2. I tried to adjust this but it remained at -2. I took a shot anyway and long behold it was completely dark. I tried other settings and they all worked fine but manual was underexposed no matter how I set the camera. Is anyone familiar with this problem? At first I thought I must of unknowingly dropped my camera (it's always in my backpack) but all of the other modes were capturing images. </p>

<p>Thank you for your help!</p>

<p>Thanks for your help Michael but unfortunately you just don't seem too understand. The problem is not how to set the EV value. The problem is that it's not responding. If there is anyone who has experienced this before with a Canon 20D - please share your experience. Thanks.</p>

<p>OK, tell us more: what measuring, focusing and shooting mode are you in? Does the EC scale show zero or some kind of EC compensation value? Does the camera malfunction only in certain shooting mode (manual..?) ? While measuring, does the scale display correct exposure? Does the exposure level mark blink?<br>

20D is CFn-poor so short of camera malfunction there are very few options.</p>

<p>The camera only malfunctions in manual mode. I tried to shoot a hail storm during the late afternoon (there was still plenty of nature light). I shot ISO 200 f/5 500 but the meter was reading -2 which I thought was rather odd. <strong>I tried a variety of settings and they all read -2.</strong> I inspected the lens and didn't see anything wrong. Then I changed to AV mode, TV mode, and P mode. All these modes rendered the correct exposure. Manual did not. I feel like something is wrong with the camera but I'm not sure if I need to take it to a store or if it's something I can fix. Have you ever heard of this happening to any DSLR?</p>

Ok, step by step:

<ul>

<li>Your camera is in `M' mode</li>

<li>You have set it to: ISO 200, f5, 1/500s</li>

<li>It underexposes by roughly two stops.</li>

<li>Can you use the upper dial to set the shutter speed to 1/125s (or slower)?</li>

<li>If so, is the picture still underexposed (by the same amount)?</li>

<li>Can you use the rear dial to set the aperture to f2.5 (or wider)?</li>

<li>If so, is the picture still underexposed (by the same amount)?</li>

</ul>

Also: -2 is the maximum the camera can display. Might be the exposure was (much) more than two stops under. What exposure were the Av/Tv shots made at?

<p>They are all correct if you are talking about almost any EOS digital then , i suggest that you go to the menu and do a factory reset for every feature you have and then you should be good, unless it is really broken, whn i first started i took my camera in and they said were you aware that you two stops under normal on manual and of course I had set it by mistake, and they showed me to always reset everything to factory, till i got my act together. Still working on the act but, not so much as I use to .</p>