Review of Camera straps Blackrapid RS4, Double, and Cotton Carrier

henrymudd

<p >This review is for the Blackrapid RS4, Blackrapid Double strap, and the Cotton Carrier. I own all three. If all you need is one strap the RS4 is impossible to beat. It is comfortable and very convenient to use.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The double strap is the most comfortable way to carry two cameras (I carry a Nikon D700, 24-70, SB 900 on one side and a Nikon D300, 70-200 VR on the other). I can WALK around all day with absolutely no discomfort from the weight of the cameras. They won’t slip off and are both very easy to access.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Here is my problem with the double, and to a lesser extent, with the single RS4, the camera hangs off to the side. It is difficult to do anything but stand or walk. Things like squatting down, sitting, or running, are problems. When I lean over to take a close up of a flower, the other camera will invariably flop around front. Also the camera’s stick out from my sides and I have bumped them many times. In one case I hit something hard enough to crack the case on the back of the flash unit.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I bought the Cotton Carrier. It is very secure and does not have the swinging issues. However, it is not as comfortable to wear all day. During a long shoot, my chest was sore from the chest plate. Also the edges of the shoulder straps rubbed on my neck. I am going to try some more adjusting on the straps, but I don’t think it will help beyond what I have already done.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >In brief,</p>

<p >For one camera use; hands down Blackrapid RS4</p>

<p > </p>

<p >For two cameras, no crowds, no leaning over, no sitting, not much moving around or just walking; Blackrapid double strap </p>

<p > </p>

<p >For two cameras, active, moving around leaning over, sitting, laying on the ground, Cotton Carrier, but it is less comfortable that than the double.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >And all three are a pain when switching to tripod mounts.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<blockquote><p>And all three are a pain when switching to tripod mounts.</p></blockquote>

<p>I found a nice solution to that. I got a small (1") screw-type QR clamp from <a href="http://www.kirkphoto.com/1_in_Quick_Release_Clamp.html">Kirk</a>, mounted the BlackRapid eyelet to that, and I mount that to the L-plate on my camera. If I want to use a tripod, or just put the camera away for a moment, I can unscrew the clamp and simply release the camera from the strap. Also makes switching cameras a breeze.</p>

<p>I also have the UpStrap. I don't like them near as well because they are too grabby. The BlackRapid is a totally different approach to the problem. It isn't grabby at all, the strap slides through the pad smoothly. The pad doesn't move. <br>

The other main difference is that you can carry the UpStrap on one shoulder. The Blackrapid goes across your chest. I have no idea why someone would buy a UpStrap and carry it across the chest. The main benifit of that strap is that it is less likely to slip off when carried on one shoulder.</p>

<p> </p>

• 5 months later...