What lens should i get for my new 7d

omar_hadi

<p>Im thinking On getting a 50mm f/1.2 or a 85 f1.2 II and a 10 22mm wide I like the super fast aperture <br>

I like taking night life pictures and hate to use tripods... Do u think is a good idea to invest in one of this super fast lenses to make them my primary general purpose lenses? any suggestions?</p>

<p>I'm sorry if this sounds condescending - it's not meant to - but if you have to ask whether it's a good idea to use only such a lens, then it isn't. They're both good lenses and can do wonderful things, but they are certainly not candidates to be a "primary general purpose lens" on a 7D for the vast, vast, vast majority of users; they're pretty much special-purpose lenses, and if you aren't sure they're right for you, they're likely not (at least, not yet).</p>

<p>As well, each one has at least one sibling that's the same focal length but somewhat slower and dramatically less expensive, and while there's no substitute for lens speed, the slower lens will do the job for many users. Unless you have money to burn, I think you'd be wise to figure out whether a few-hundred-dollar lens does the trick before spending $1500-2000.</p>

<p>Before spending a pile of money on either of those lenses, do at least one of the following:</p>

<ul>

<li>Use a zoom that includes that focal length; set the zoom to that focal length and see if that focal length does what you need it to do. If you find yourself looking through the viewfinder and reaching to adjust the zoom ring, then you know that a prime at that focal length is not going to do the job for you.

<li>Rent the lens you're considering buying, and go on a shoot that is typical of how you'd want to use it. See if it's a good fit.

<li>Rent or borrow a slower prime of the same focal length (50/1.8 or 50/1.4; 85/1.8), and go on a shoot that is typical of how you'd want to use the faster lens. See if you really need the extra speed.

</ul>

<p>Omar, I started out with zooms but then i fell in love with primes. I still keep my L zooms, but I don't use them as much as my couple of primes. In my opinion, get the 85mm f/1.2L lens.</p>

<p>By the way, just like Steve said, the 50mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.8 are great lenses, will deliver (for most of the users) the image you're needing, and will be way cheaper than to buy either one of the f/1.2L glasses. Heck, add in a 28mm f/1.8 and you're still paying under a thousand bucks!</p>

<p>well on a 7D the 50mm is a 1.5X telephoto so if your used to Full frame think appox. the view of a 85mm and the 85mm is a 2.6X telephoto so in full frame think 135mm<br>

Do you normally shoot with a 1.5X or 2.6X telephoto in your night shots. Neither will be the least normal or wide on a APS-C sensor camera.</p>

<p>Are you doing street scenes? single people? groups of people? night time covers a LOT of territory.</p>

<p>Primes are still almost always better than zooms, but the exceptions come into play when you go for extreme apertures. Both the f/1.2 lenses are superb, but these days with extremely high ISOs possible and usable, they are really for those of us who like to squeeze every photon down onto the sensor. I have a Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 which I frequently use on both my old film Nikons and also on my APS-C and 35mm-sensor Canons with adapters. I have never regretted getting this lens which made things that are commonplace nowadays possible back when the top speed films were ASA 500. However, I have to note that the little difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 or even f/1.8 these days of ISO 12,500 is not so significant. The f/1.2s are now really more useful for shallow depth of field and nice bokeh. On a 7D, the 50mm makes a classic "portrait" short telephoto. On the 7D the 85mm is equivalent to a 136mm 'regular' telephoto. It can be used for portraiture of course.<br>

Since you're obviously not short of spare change, I'd suggest getting the 50mm f/1.2 or try a f/1.4 first for low light and portraiture, and get a nice zoom lens like the new EF-S 15-85mm IS for wide to telephoto.<br>

Alternatively, there are fast (f/2.8 in this class of lenses) L ("Luxus"?) lenses in the 16-35mm and 70-200mm ranges. Get the IS where it's available.</p>

<p>Omar your should rent the EF 50mm f/1.2L lens before you buy it. This lens is very specialized and not just a faster 50! This is a lens that will take a lot of practice to get good photos. For one thing it has a VERY narrow depth of field which will take most of the rental period to get used to. Secondly it does not have a flat focus plane. ANY focus and recompose photo will surely be out of focus. And lastly, it is very camera dependent. It will backfocus on one body and front in another so this lens is best used on a body with microfocus adjustment. <br>

Having said that, if you need rich creamy bokeh and super sharp exposures under candlelight, rent this lens. Otherwise you will find that the EF 50mm f/1.4 will be an easier and more user friendly (and fun) lens for everyday use.</p>

<p>Omar your should rent the EF 50mm f/1.2L lens before you buy it. This lens is very specialized and not just a faster 50! This is a lens that will take a lot of practice to get good photos. For one thing it has a VERY narrow depth of field which will take most of the rental period to get used to. Secondly it does not have a flat focus plane. ANY focus and recompose photo will surely be out of focus. And lastly, it is very camera dependent. It will backfocus on one body and front in another so this lens is best used on a body with microfocus adjustment. <br>

Having said that, if you need rich creamy bokeh and super sharp exposures under candlelight, rent this lens. Otherwise you will find that the EF 50mm f/1.4 will be an easier and more user friendly (and fun) lens for everyday use.</p>

<p>I would suggest getting a 50mm F1.4 and seing if it works for you. If it does then keep it, if not you will not lose much when you sell it. The 50 F1.2 and 85 F1.2 are very specialized lenses and usually bought for their shallow depth of field and bokeh - not the ability to shoot at night. The issues with the 50 F1.4 are that the AF is a little slow and that it is a bit soft below F2. My copy is mainly soft at the edges and thus on the 7D should be fine at bigger apertures than F2. I use this lens quite a bit on the 7D (more than I use 85mm) but rarely use it below F2.</p>

<p>I hate the 50 1.4 (ok maybe not that bad) but to me it falls short against my 85 1.8 or 35 1.4. I just think if you buy a lens with a 1.4 aperture, you should be able to use it. I don't like the lens wide open. Like everyone said, the 50 or 85 on a 7D would be too long for most. Sometime I wish I had the 24 1.4 and not the 35 1.4. But I have that on my full frame. Final answer, I would get the 35 1.4 and 85 1.2 or 1.8. On the wide end I would get a zoom, a 17-55 2.8 IS would complement your primes. v/r Buffdr</p>

<p><em>—getting a 50mm f/1.2 or a 85 f1.2 II</em><br /> <em>—I like the super fast aperture </em><br /> <em>—hate to use tripods</em><br /> —<em>Do u think is a good idea to invest in one of this super fast lenses</em></p>

<p>Interesting post, you answered your own question.</p>

<p> </p>