The Glorious "B" Cameras

<p>While I was looking in my "classic" drawer of my file cabinet, it suddenly occurred to me that I'm a "B" camera lover. In the golden day's of film SLR's, you had your "A" models, and your "B" models.</p>

<p>The "B" models were slightly less featured filled, or had a slower top shutter speed. Or in some cases lacked self timers, or DoF previews. But they could shoot pictures as beautiful as their big brothers!</p>

<p>The three below are the Nikkormat FTN, which was really a threat to the Nikon FTN's market, often being called "the better mousetrap". The Canon TL ql was the Jr. to the Canon FT, and the Topcon D1, was the Topcon Super D's simplified cheaper version.</p>

<p>The "A" models were all near or above the $300 mark when new. Most of the "B" cameras sold for significantly less, but allowed an inexpensive entree into their respective camera systems.</p><div>00WHqi-238025884.jpg.b56da50e34ffd21783446acbf283d224.jpg</div>

<p>Topcon D-1 uses a Copal Square shutter. There's a plastic coupling between the shutter speed dial on the front and the shutter that's the weak link of these cameras.<br>

The 58/1.4 Topcor was definitely the "A" lens. It's a beast, 62mm front filters, with a lot of glass inside. The small opening on the Exakta mount requires a <em>large</em> front glass for a fast lens. The focusing helical is more compact (thinner) than most Topcors to make room for all that glass.<br>

The 58/1.8 was the "B" lens, razor sharp. It was small and used 49mm filters, like every Topcor lens from 28mm to 200mm (with the exception of the 58/1.4 and the rare 85/1.8).</p>

<p>I have a lot of what you call 'B' cameras. These include many Nikkormats, two Canon TL QLs, a Canon TLb, a Canon TX, Konica Autoreflex A, A2, A1000, A3 and TC cameras, a Mamiya DTL 500, a Vivitar V4000 and I'm sure others. I did have a Minolta SRT 100 but traded it. I'd like to get another one of these. I donlt think the Konica TC-X is a 'B' camera because by the time Cosina made the camera for Konica, the FT-1 was already out of production. I also have the Japanese market version of the TC, the ACOM-1. </p>

<p>The cool thing about the D1 is that it has the meter cell on the mirror, same as the Super D. It's lack of a DoF preview is a little awkward at times. The 58/F1.4 is indeed a beautiful lens. Slides shot with it have great color and contrast, of course the vintage Canon 50/F1.8 and 50/F1.4 Nikkor aren't too bad either. By the end of the 1970's. Topcon's "system" was almost equal to Nikon's in variety of accessories and glass. And until recently it was highly collected too. Which is always a shame when highly shootable gear gets saved and not used.</p>

<p>The Nikkormat was bought new by me in 1970 at age 16. The Canon and Topcon were both bought used in the 1970's. I was never brainwashed about camera brand. I shot with what ever was near the door as I walked out of it. I was mostly a B&W shooter in those days, and I bulk loaded to save $$$.</p>

<p>Pentax, also had several models below their top of the line Spotmatic. And of course Mamiya offered the 500 DTL and it's big bro the 1000 DTL. Even their 645 cameras got into the "B" camera act, with the "J", a stripped version of the M645.</p>