E-P2 or DMC-GF1 for Trip

chris_garverick

<p>This summer I am going to San Francisco for a work event. I will have some downtime, but not enough to justify me taking my big kit. I'd like to rent either an Olympus E-P2 or a Panasonic DMC-GF1 with either the Olympus 17mm or Panasonic 20mm lens. This will mostly be used for street style photography, some indoor shots, and maybe a landscape. Any thoughts on what combination I should get? All of your help is appreciated.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>@Chris: </p>

<p>For a short rental like that and you're proposed shooting, either camera or lens would work fine. The Panasonic GF1 might be a little faster to learn as the Olympus E-P2 has a much more complex menu structure and more options to figure out. Both make great photos. I'd suggest downloading the instruction manuals for both and reading through through them carefully to see which one appeals to you more. </p>

If you want to rent in SF then try Adolph Gasser, Inc., in SOMA (www.gassers.com). I am not sure if they have Olympus

or Panasonic, but it would be worth checking out. They may be able to direct you to somewhere else in the area if they

don't.

In terms if choosing between Panasonic and Olympus, I'm definitely biased towards the E-P2. I have one and it's

absolutely amazing (the in-camera IS will come in very handy if you're out on Alcatraz or anywhere else that is windy).

Most people would recommend using the E-P2 with the Lumix 20mm lens as opposed to the Zuiko 17mm. I have the

Lumix on my E-P2 and am very impressed, although I tend to primarily use the Zuiko 14-42mm zoom at this point in time.

I'd recommend the E-P2 and several of the available lenses so you can get a good feel of what it can do.

What do you plan on shooting in SF? If you like landscapes then I would definitely recommend the top of Twin Peaks,

Dolores Park, Buena Vista Park (be weary of that place during non-daylight hours), and Baker Beach (watch out for the

"walruses," though - and by that I mean nudists). There's really a lot to photograph out here. You'd probably be doing

yourself a diservice by not shooting at least some of he weirdness that is everyday life here. For that I definitely

recommend a zoom lens so you don't have to get too close. That's what I do, but I live here and am beginning to become

immune to the eccentricities of this place.

Enjoy your trip!

<p>Great information Gordon. My girlfriend and I are going to SF for the first time this June and photography will be a huge part of our trip so I am taking my two main zooms (12-60 and 50-200 SWD's) to do my shooting.</p>

<p>There's an old adage with cameras that when you are traveling you should never bring a camera you are not comfortable with. If you bring a camera you know well, you will be more likely to capture the moments you want than miss them because you are fiddling with dials and menus. Even if your current camera has lower resolution... or god-forbid, film ;) which would you rather have... lower resolution images of your favorite moments, or missing all of the great shots while you are buried in the instruction book?</p>